Pilot v. Uni-ball

CLC ESQ

Dear Kindred Spirits,

As much as I thoroughly enjoy using my fountain pens, I have come to the realization that I must use disposable pens on a day-to-day basis. As such, I have become torn between two manufacturers of disposable pens: Pilot and Uni-ball. I have purchased the many different series of pens (both gel and liquid ink pens) from each pen manufacturer, and I am torn as to which is my preferred disposable pen maker.

I require the assistance of the FPN community: do you prefer Pilot pens or Uni-ball (Mitsubishi) pens? Why? Do you prefer a specific pen from either maker? Why? I would like to keep the breadth of this topic as open as possible. Please chime in with your thoughts as well as any and all opinions.

However, if you'd like to get more specific, please submit your thoughts on the following:

Pilot G2 v. Uni-ball 207;

Pilot VBall v. Uni-ball Vision / Vision Elite;

Pilot Precise V5/V7 v. Uni-ball Needle; and/or,

Pilot's Blue ink v. Uni-ball's Blue ink (I now use blue quite often, since I need to differentiate between copies and originals).

In my opinion, I feel that the only real selling point (or, advantage) for Uni-ball pens is their pigmented ink. Nevertheless, I feel that this a big selling point, and it keeps me interested in Uni-ball's line of pens. As an attorney, I fill out and sign a variety of legal documents and correspondence. It is reassuring to know that my writing and signature are permanent. Also, I must admit that I do have a fondness for their Vision line of pens due to their simplicity and great build quality; I love the Uni-ball Visions with black ink. Otherwise, it appears -- and I am of the opinion -- that Pilot has the advantage in virtually every other category: their pens across the line are of better build quality, their ink colors are richer and more vibrant (a great example is Pilot's blue versus Uni-ball's blue), and their pens write much smoother with minimal feathering. For example, I feel that the Pilot G2 is more solidly-built than the 207 and even has no wiggle at the nib when jotting, the G2 has a richer and deeper black as well as blue ink than the Uni-ball 207, and the G2 seems to write smoother and crisper lines than the 207. Moreover, the Pilot G2 simply feels better in my hand when I write with it. The Pilot VBall is a simple and straighforward pen that seems to glide across the page a lot smoother than the Uni-ball Vision. This smoothness is even more evident when writing with the Pilot Precise V5/V7 series.

Perhaps, if Pilot's ink was bullet-proof, I would not be so torn between these two pen makers. Nevertheless, I sincerely want to hear everyone's thoughts on this topic (or topics, as I have realized that I have just asked quite a few questions in this thread). These issues are driving me mad. I am in pen-demonium. :)

Chris

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CLC ESQ

• Garageboy

• dmmcf

• bardharlock

Have you tried the Uni-Ball Jet Stream pens?

Smoothest writers I have found outside of fountain pens.

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

I prefer the Signo 207 Micro in 0.5 and think the shade of blue ink is pretty and comparable to PR DCSSB. Never tried a G-2 0.5 though... probably would like it just the same. G-2's in 0.7 seem gloppy to me, but I haven't recently tried writing with one in letters more than 3mm high. (I write 3mm in my mini-moleskine so I can fit two months of work notes in one cahier.)

Pilot Precise V5 is an awesome pen if you treat it nicely. I could never get to like the Uni-ball Vision Exact as much...

But my overall nod goes to Mitsubishi uni for the Kuru Toga pencil. It's so innovative. Show me Pilot mechanical pencil innovation, if there is any...

Before I started using fountain pens I was a really big fan of the pilot G-2 with the ultra-fine tip (0.38mm). They write very smoothly and make a remarkably fine line for an ink pen, although I have to admit that the G-2 can be a bit sloppy in larger sized points. My favorite pen was the Pilot G-2 limited edition but because it always comes with a 0.7mm point, I simply replaced the cartridges with the 0.38 tip. The pen has a really good balance and a solid feel. An added plus is that the quality of the pen makes it the type that you can hold on to so it can act as a refillable keeper rather than a disposable you throw away.

Checklist of desired pens (in no particular order)

[__] Lamy 2000

[✔] Rotring Core (Received as a gift from Rabbidferret)

[__] Namiki Vanishing Point

I'll follow this thread since I'm in a similar situation: fps are my favorite writing tools, but for some uses I need the convenience of a rollerball or ballpen.

- I don't like Uniball Visions since I've had a couple of them leaking, and they bleed through on moleskine paper.

- V5 and VBalls are nice and reliable pens, but they also bleed through on moleskine paper, but less noticeable than the uniballs.

- I have mixed opinions between the G2 (0'7) and the Signo 207 (0'7); I use both of them.

- The Uniball Jetstream: This one might have no contender since it's halfway a ballpen and a rollerball. I think this is my favorite; the only problem is that it's not as easily available like the previous ones, so I buy them in boxes of 12. The point is 1'0 but it's not that broad in actual use.

Oh, and I also love Papermate comfortmates medium black; very smooth ballpens.

PS: This is my opinion on disposable pens; refills are another story.

Juan

The Uniball UM-120 is the best rollerball I've ever used. I use them exclusively where a FP is impractical.

My job involves writing all day and getting customers to sign their name using my pen. Many have said it's the nicest pen they've used, and I've given several away.

They're about a quid each, bought in pairs from my local Somerfield in Britain, but I'm going to start getting them in dozens from Staples, and they'll no doubt be much cheaper in America.

Their only drawback is their rather functional, somewhat Bic biro-like appearance, compared to funkier-looking rollerballs, but I don't give a monkey's about that myself.

Edited by lurcho

I prefer the Pilot pens (V Ball and V5) because it's easy to dump the original ink and refill with my choice of FP ink.

- The Uniball Jetstream: This one might have no contender since it's halfway a ballpen and a rollerball. I think this is my favorite; the only problem is that it's not as easily available like the previous ones, so I buy them in boxes of 12. The point is 1'0 but it's not that broad in actual use.Juan

You can get the Jet Stream in .5mm from sites that sell Japanese stationery.

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

I'm another fan of the Pilot G-2 Pro as a refillable "disposable" pen. It even looks nice next to FPs! I picked up a few on clearance for $2 each. They've been replaced by the Pilot G-2 Limited Edition which is more expensive; I still see the cheaper Pros at drug stores (Walgreens and Rite-Aid). That's it on the end.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3646/3593710568_d82fe216da.jpg

I like .5 and .7mm G-2 refills in blue and black; the .38mm seems too thin for me. I've tried a few different Uni-Ball Signos and they invariably clog up before the ink is spent or never write well to begin with.

If drying time is a concern, avoid the Signos. I prefer the G2 .38 the best -- it has a precise line, is dark, and actually is smoother than the .5.

I like Uni-ball a little better. As cchan said, they really are innovators, with writing instruments like the Kuru Toga and Shift Pipe.

I'm keen on the Uni Eye and Vision Elite. Both very nice pens. I do have some Pentel Energels as well, and they just aren't to the same standard- I have to hold them like a ballpoint- almost vertical. I can use the Visions and Eyes like I use an FP, at a very low angle to the paper.

I greatly appreciate everyone's responses. Please keep them coming as they are very helpful and informative.

Moreover, I would also like to ask everyone how important the "bulletproof-ness" of the ink is in making your purchasing decisions between these two disposable pen makers. For example, is Uni-ball's use of pigmented ink a main selling point for those of you how purchase and use their line of pens? Or, is it something else that compels you to purchase their line of pens? I understand that many FP users choose Noodler's due to it's line of bulletproof inks, and I wonder if this is a major factor in making a decision between purchasing Pilot versus Uni-ball pens.

To me -- and, as I mentioned -- it appears that the only thing that compels me to go with Uni-balls is their pigmented ink which is bulletproof. On the other hand, I am drawn towards Pilot pens due to many other factors, such as their smoothness, vibrant colors, build quality, and they even feel better in my hand as I write with them. Nevertheless, Uni-ball's "Super Ink" technology, as they call it, is a real selling point to me as I fill out and/or sign many legal documents as well as correspondence. Talk about being torn... . :)

Thanks,

Chris

The standard basic black Micro Uni-ball is one of my all-time favorite pens. I buy them in boxes of a dozen. Great feel, and so tough that they don't even notice if you run over them with a truck.

The standard basic black Micro Uni-ball is one of my all-time favorite pens. I buy them in boxes of a dozen. Great feel, and so tough that they don't even notice if you run over them with a truck.

For over a decade, the Sanford (is this the same thing as Mitsubishi?) micro Uni-Ball (black ink) has been my everday pen at work. Up until about two years ago, they sold a 0.2mm version, and this was the pen I always used. Then, they seemed to have discontinued this, and I switched to their 0.5 mm version. These have worked out OK for me, but in the current box (like daveg, I buy them by the dozen) I've had two pens which skipped a little bit for a week or so. I never had this happen before in the 0.2 mm pens, so I am wondering if manufacturing quality is slipping.

I occasionally use red ink at work. I had always used the Sanford Uni-Ball in red ink, as well, for these purposes. However, as of approximately this year, none of the office supply stores in my area (Staples, Office Max) seemed to carry these any more. So, on the advice of a salesman at a local Office Max store, I bought the following pen in red ink:

http://www.pentel.com/catalog_product.php?id=802

This is the Pentel "EnerGel" pen. The particular pen I bought is the retractable, 0.5 mm "needle tip" pen in red ink. I have been amazed by the quality of line this pen produces. Supposedly, the ink is a breakthrough hybrid of liquid rollerball ink and gel ink. All I can say is, I have never had an inexpensive pen (meaning, non-fountain pen) lay down a line this smooth and this solid. I am so impressed by this pen (really, the ink) that I am thinking that when I use the last Uni-Ball pen from my current box, I may switch to the EnerGel pen as my everyday work pen. My only concern is that they are somewhat pricey, and because I don't use my red ink pen that often, I haven't got a good feel as to how much writing I can get out of the EnerGel cartridge.

I went to a local office supply store a few months ago. They had every uniball, pentel, pilot, bic, etc. pen on display where you could try and buy them individually, not in those multi-pen packs like at Office Max. I tried every pen they had – took me about 45 minutes. I used to like the Uniball Jetstream the best. But after trying everything there, I found two new favorites which I still use now:

Pilot Precise Grip

Uniball Gel Impact

I prefer the bold point in each pen, but they also make fine points too. And the blues in both pens are very nice. Of the two, I probably prefer the blue of the Pilot a little more.

My favorites

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/adriancol/IMG_6512.jpg

against my 149 for size comparison:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/adriancol/IMG_6518.jpg

MB 149 YWC, MB Doue BP, Parker Sterling Silver Cisele BP & RB

I had been a die-hard Uniball Signo 207 user until I discovered the Retro 51 Tornado Rollerball pens at my local Paradise Pens about 8 months ago. I was sucked in by their "Life is too short to carry an Ugly Pen!" display and discovered that writing with their rollerball pen was the smoothest writing experience next to a fountain pen. Here is a link to their website with the usual disclaimer of me not having any affiliations to them:

http://www.retro51.com/fwi_home.html

Warm regards,

Lynne

The search for the perfect blue ink is a delicious and endless quest...