Pilot Custom 74

Inkanthropist

These are really hard to find in America.

Perhaps you're not looking in the right place. Fahrney's, Joon, and Richard Binder, amongst other stores, all carry the 74. Best,

David

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nemesiz

• HenryLouis

• johnnyies

• Pen2009

I'm about to get a black one with a FM nib.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

Perhaps you're not looking in the right place. Fahrney's, Joon, and Richard Binder, amongst other stores, all carry the 74. Best,

David

they only carry the clear demo models.

May I ask how much did you get it for?

Edited by johnnyies

I got a Pilot Custom 74 about a year ago and it has remained in my rotation ever since. Pilot is one of the best contemporary manufacturers. Their design is very meticulous, and keeps in mind the use/form factor.

While there’s nothing technically wrong with the nib (Broad), it doesn’t really have a great deal of character, and it’s pretty firm. Perhaps that’s a bit unfair, though, as standard nibs can often be a faceless, in my opinion. Flow is very good.

One of the great things about Pilot nibs is that they just work. I know some lack character, but they are probably the most reliable among contemporary pens. In fact, none of the Pilot pens I've owned had needed any nib work--which is not something I could say about nibs from other contemporary manufacturers.

It's funny how Pilot needs three different converter types for the current pen line it sells! ... It's good to know that it's difficult to clean though! Thanks!

Pilot makes the best converters bar none. Their engineers have understood--while their peers from other companies refuse to see--two technical problems with converters: size and superficial tension. These two issues, which plague all modern converters, have been satisfactorily solved by Pilot. As for cleaning, I would argue otherwise, they make cleaning swifter and more thorough given that they allow to push water under pressure through the nib section.

David

Pam Braun at Oscar Braun has them too!

No affiliation, just that I will have one coming on the way from her.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

David

I haven't ordered yet but it goes for around $125 shipped I believe.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

David

I haven't ordered yet but it goes for around $125 shipped I believe.

My friend had an unused extra which he gave to me and I'm deciding whether to sell it or use. It's a fine piece. You'll have fun with it if you ever get it.

Tanesiir

The two retailers stated as American, are in fact Malaysian - Pengallery and MelPens. So the pens would incur shipping and possible import duty charges.

Please accept my apologies for the error.

Shane

I purchased a Pilot Custom 742FA from Melpens, and checked googled for customs duties on pens. It was zero, and the pen was slightly over $200 USD.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

I bought this pen last year at a clearance price of € 75 in Brussels. I didn't know what I bought exactly but this pen reveals to be my most reliable writer (along with my Pelikan 800). A reliable pen is for me one that starts without hesitation at the first milimeterstroke after a 3-weeks holiday.

I really don't understand the difficulties of the topic starter with this converter. It is the best converter I ever had by far. Filling is very easy: just pump with your thumb until it's 100% full (+/- 5-6 movements). It's much easier than a twist system where 2 hands are needed. The ink capacity is decent. That rubber thing inside the converter is indeed the solution of a plague of superficial tension in modern converters, as escribiente said. Cleaning is as easy and quick: take te converter out and pump clear water in and out until the water remains clear.

Lack of character? It is a no nonsense Toyota, not a Lamborghini.

Orval

• 4 weeks later...

A really fine pen in a very subtle package. This pen is all about the nib feed and ink flow to me. And you have to admit the demonstrator version is straight out of Buck Rodgers.

Edited by Flourish

• 2 years later...

I am awaiting a Pilot hira maki-e pen with the #5 nib (M). That is the first #5 nib from Pilot. My other Pilot nibs are #10 and #15. My only Pilot M nib was for a Capless (Vanishing Point); that nib was scratchy and I have it turned to stub M nib by Richard B. So, I am hoping this newly acquired maki-e pen would pass my dip test once I receive one by mail.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

I have lost my converter and I use my 74 (F nib) as an eye dropper. I just put a couple of turns of plumbers tape around the threads and that seals it nicely. It is a great practical writer.

Edited by Pemako

The black and gold version is easily in my top three right now. With a brushed matte finish to most of it, it's my prettiest pen so far...and my SF nib is fabulous. I was going to opt for a Custom Heritage 91 instead, but I'm very happy with the results from the C74.

post-25375-0-86446000-1328184718.jpg

Edited by XiaoMG

Robert.

Never knew there was a Brushed Matte Finish Custom 74! I love the demos too.

Gonna get some real soon in clear/smoke finish. Not to mention, I just received

my Matte Black Sailor 1911. I love it soooo much! The Ruthenium nib section

adds real character to the pen. :cloud9: :thumbup:

Never knew there was a Brushed Matte Finish Custom 74! I love the demos too.

Gonna get some real soon in clear/smoke finish. Not to mention, I just received

my Matte Black Sailor 1911. I love it soooo much! The Ruthenium nib section

adds real character to the pen. :cloud9: :thumbup:

Woops, sorry I didn't mention it, but the matte finish on the C74 was my own doing. I had a thread a while ago for doing satin finishes on other pens, and my Pilot C74 and 78Gs have benefited greatly from the modification. Some folks joined in the thread there with their own pens as well. It's pretty easy and the results are well worth it, in my opinion.

Robert.

• 11 months later...

Can somebody tell me how the F nib is comparing to Vanishing Point F nib?

I confess I do not have a VP or a F Nib C74....so I am not sure how much help I can be or indeed if my experience is of any use whatsoever.... :unsure:

However, I do have a C74 in Med....I confess I thought it would write finer than a 'Western Medium'....this is not the case, it is also a wet writer, which can make it feel even broader.. :unsure:

lovely smooth nib mind.... :rolleyes:

Personally, I think you will find a C74 Fine somewhat broad compared to your VP experience.... :unsure:

As far as the Con-70 converter is concerned, I find it to be the best converter in the market. Sailor and Platinum should make their own version of Con-70 to fit their repsecitve pens. If a pen is equipped with the CON-70, there is sufficient ink capacity even for a long writing session.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Thank you for your nice review. I think C74 is a reasonable pen. The price is 10,000yen constantly in Japan for about 20 years.

The blue color is very nice for me.

rokurinpapa

Edited by rokurinpapa