Graf von Faber Castell Pernambuco

omasfan

At the Ohio pen show I fell in love with a Graf von Faber Castell Pernambuco fountain pen. The wood has a reddish brown look and is also used for violin bows. The wood is nicely fluted and it feels pleasant and warm to touch the surface.

This pen is very heavy at the upper end when posted. I have big hands yet when I write fast I prefer the pen with the cap not posted.

It is very slender and sturdy and I therefore prefer to use it when not at home and/or taking notes. I love the way the cap screws on. With a short and smooth turn (barely one half turn) the cap is snuggly screwed on. The pen also posts very nicely without scratching the metal end of the pen. This is due to a very intelligent plastic threading/buffer inside the all-metal cap.

When the pen is screwed shut, it slides nicely into your shirt pocket due to the form of its clip. The clip is spring-loaded and extremely sturdy yet has an elegant shape. It almost looks like a door handle of a vintage car. I hate clips that you have to pull slightly before you can put the pens into your shirt pocket. Visconti's clips (Opera, Wallstreet) look wonderful in their arched design but I always have to pull the clip before I can place my Opera in my shirt pocket.

I have to say that the Faber-Castell is one of my relished high-grade pens. It has been like this right out of the box. Everything seems so meticulously well made. One can feel that Faber-Castell has a high level of quality and I have never encountered one of their instruments that has left the factory not being in perfect order.

The nib is small for such an expensive pen but is in concert with the slender body. It is a fine point and it writes fantastically smooth just with a tad of pleasant friction. With the fine point you really have to learn how to hold the pen because if you're off the little tip the pen scratches slightly. However, my writing looks nice to me. I can always tell if a nib has character by looking at how my writing looks.

The nib is rather stiff but allows for some line variation if you push harder. However, the ink flow is impeccable. For a fine point it creates a beautifully wet line. The pen uses a standard converter or standard cartridges.

The suggested retail price (which is charged by most pen sellers if I am not mistaken) is $450. I think this is too much for the pen. I got mine cheaper.

The Faber-Castell is not for you if you like bulky pens with a grand girth. But it combines sturdiness with distinctive character and promises to hold up for years if not decades.

Unfortunately Faber-Castell fountain pens don't seem to have built a big reputation in the US. The brand is just known by few people despite its excellent quality.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has made good (or bad) experiences with Faber-Castell.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• omasfan

• Maja

• slippy

• Henrik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dear Dupontfan,

I'm not from the US, but in my part of the world, Faber CAstell has a very fine reputation in pens, pencils and markers and some "mathematical rulers" (I do not know the name in english) - and their customer service is first class - polite and fast.

I have recently transferred most of my love for fountainpens (and mechanical pencils BTW) to this brand due to the quality and reliability - and beuaty it offers.

I came across an "Ambition" by accident - and later I bought the "E- motion" (I had some problems with this one- due to my inexperience with B nibs - but since that was "dealth with", I have not had any trouble with any of my Castells).

How about a picture to brigthen up our day? (The coral version - my most wanted pen for the time being) :D

kind regards

Henrik

post-34-1164456479_thumb.jpg

Edited by Henrik

Hi dupontfan,

I don't own any Faber-Castell fountain pens but I do own some of their other (cheaper :lol: ) writing instruments---pencils, etc ;)

Looking at the pen reviews index, I see an FPN review of the Graf-von Faber Castell Silver Plate fountain pen by theshainun here,

and a review of Faber-Castell's E-motion fountain pen here (complete with a writing sample of Leigh R's amazing calligraphy!)

Thank you for the review!

Dupontfan,

Ooooh...I've looked at the Faber-Castell because I have the ballpoint and the pencil in pernambuco, and I'm tempted to complete the set. However, the price I've seen here in NYC has definitely given me pause.

FWIW, the BP and pencil I have are very well made...the pen takes Parker refills and both are similar in size and style to the Parker Duofold ballpoints.

Thanks for the review...if I hit the lottery, I'll complete the Faber-Castell trifecta...

Slippy,

I got the FP for $350 +$10 shipping from California. The suggested retail of $450 is just too insane. The Pernambuco has such a wonderful feel to it, doesn't it. I don't have BP and RB yet, mainly because I am a little suspicious of paying so much money for a BP/RB only. I can assure you that the Faber-Castell nibs are truly wonderful. The quality of the tip is only comparable to brands like Dupont and Omas. Christmas is coming up, so there should be somebody who would eagerly want to give the FP to you as a gift....

My friends have had horrible experiences. They have got the same pen ordered 2times before they can actually get a wooden barrel without any cracks in them. Don't get me wrong they are beautiful. But I would not order them unless i get some guarantee that they will be replaced if shipped with a faulty barrel.

I've had the Pernambuco FP (Medium) since it was originally launched, and although I only rotate it once in a blue moon, it still writes wonderfully. A very juicy pen, that has never let me down. One of these days I must treat myself to one of the pens of the year...

BTW, I'm not sure why I don't use it more often as it is truly a wonderful pen.

Bren

• 7 months later...