Faber-Castell's E-motion FP

Leigh R

In transit at Singapore's Changi Airport, I was mesmerized by a huge backlit sign that said "PENS."

Not bad for an airport. Then again, Changi's got great shopping, even when compared to a regular mall. The Pens section at Times Newslink had Pelikan, Lamy, Parker, Pilot/Namiki (even maki-e pens) and an entire booth for Faber-Castell.

I picked up the E-motion fountain pen in Pearwood, with a chrome cap and metal gripping section. It's a c/c filler.

It looks heavy, and it is, especially with the cap posted. I like posting my caps, but unposted, this pen feels just slightly heavier than its pencil counterpart.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d138/leighpod/fabcast.jpg

The nib is steel, and it feels responsive. I got mine with a broad nib, and it's actually almost like a stub when held at a certain angle to the paper.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d138/leighpod/fabcastnib1.jpg

Here it is in comparison with a Waterman Charleston.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d138/leighpod/fabcastcharleston.jpg

If you're in the market for cool looks in a pen that doesn't hurl "I'm a cool pen!" in your face, then you might want to check the E-motion FP out. The contrast between the warmth of the wood and the sleek shine of the chrome gives it appeal without being flashy, and the pen itself is surprisingly ergonomic, even with the metal gripping section.

:-)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Leigh R

• pilgrim

• aka

• Penlover

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Leigh. I'm familiar with other Faber-Castell products, but not their fountain pens. You surely did coax some nice thick/thin contrast out of that nib!! Glad you posted the writing sample.

Best, Ann

Congrats on the new beauty!

This is a very nice pen/ I tested and ordered a Dark Pearwood colour, but when it arrived it felt all wrong in my hand, I'm not sure why, since it felt fine the first time.

It certainly is eye-catching, but I ended up with a Jean-Pierre Lepine Attila that day instead. :)

I still like the E-Motion though, and will likely revist the purchase! :)

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Faber-Castell design writing products are growing on me. First, they make most of Porsche Design's writing lineup and as if that wasn't enough, they have the E-MOTION and the AMBITION line's which are lovely IMO. Argh.

I had this pen for a bit, but took it back because I wasn't sure that the all chrome grip section felt right. I loved the pearwood parts though, I just might prefer something with a little more hold to it, rubber, celluloid, wood, brushed stainless steel, etc. - still, a very cool pen, and I thought the nib was an excellent stainless steel, and quite responsive. May revisit it later on. Thanks for the review!

Faber-Castell design writing products are growing on me. First, they make most of Porsche Design's writing lineup and as if that wasn't enough, they have the E-MOTION and the AMBITION line's which are lovely IMO. Argh.

Hi Maia,

Yes Faber-Castell have nice designs.I like them too.E-motion line up is completely great(Both FP and Pencil).But Im not so sure about the Ambition line up.I was had the Ambition FP and its not writing as nicely as E-motion FP.First I was bought the Ambition after its dry so-so nib,I returned it and bought the E-motion FP.Wow!!!What a difference!!!It was like day and night.Over the Ambition FP,I completely prefer the E-motion FP

Take Care,

Emrecan

Greetings from İstanbul

the pen is in my avatar is LAMY Studio Palladium 14K

I had this pen for a bit, but took it back because I wasn't sure that the all chrome grip section felt right. I loved the pearwood parts though, I just might prefer something with a little more hold to it, rubber, celluloid, wood, brushed stainless steel, etc. - still, a very cool pen, and I thought the nib was an excellent stainless steel, and quite responsive. May revisit it later on. Thanks for the review!

Hi,

Yeah metal parts of this pen is not for everyone.They are slippery for the some people.Though I dont have a problem with this pen.Yes Pearwood is completely looking and feeling cool.The nib quite smooth and wet.

Take Care,

Emrecan

Greetings from İstanbul

the pen is in my avatar is LAMY Studio Palladium 14K

It certainly is eye-catching, but I ended up with a Jean-Pierre Lepine Attila that day instead. :)

Did you get the Attila in wood? The clip has a lovely curve, quite eye-catching. I've never seen one in real life, only on the Schleiper site. :-)

Thanks to everyone who read the review. :D

I forgot to mention that the pencase they gave me rocks. It's made of sturdy plastic, fits three pens and has padding on the inside.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d138/leighpod/fabcastpencase.jpg

:D

Wish they sold these, too!

(Looking at this picture I am suddenly dismayed by the clutter on my desk... Sigh.)

• 1 month later...

You have very nice handwriting. I am certain you can produce great calligraphy.

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

cool review. my e-motion doesn't get much pocket time as i found that i didn't like it as much after a while... it's outstanding value nonetheless :)

http://www.pbase.com/kelvinphoto/image/52758250.jpg

Regards

Kelvin

My Blog

cool review. my e-motion doesn't get much pocket time as i found that i didn't like it as much after a while... it's outstanding value nonetheless :)

What a great shot. :) Is the ink sepia? Which brand is it? It would match the E-motion in pearwood! :D

What a great shot. :) Is the ink sepia? Which brand is it? It would match the E-motion in pearwood! :D

Thanks! It was filled with the Mont Blanc Love Letter Ink :)

Regards

Kelvin

My Blog

• 11 months later...

Im sorry for gravedigging this thread but I really like the look of this pen and am thinking of ordering it before the next school year. For the people who have trid this pen, is it worthwile for me to get it? A significantly more expensive is out of the question as I dont like to spend much more over 100$ on a pen.

Thanks

it is quite heavy and "fat" (the felling of heaviness is stronger when I rotate pens - momentaly I rotate: pilot VP, lamy 2000 two pel200 and already mentioned FC emotion),

the cap won´t stay posted,

but the writing with e-motion is very nice and warm. M nib is smooth.

I like mine (dark brown) very much, well maybe not for many hours daily vriter,

but it is always with me and I use it for some short notes every day.

anyhow - one of nicer pens in my humble collection.

recommend the buying, good quality for the price (79EUR/107 USD in EU )

So the cap is unpostable and even if it wasnt it wouldmake it too heavy? Thanks for your opinion and the pictures.