Noodler's Ottoman Rose.

Inka

I received a few more sample bottles of ink to try not long ago, among them was a bottle of Noodler's Ottoman Rose.

Not typically a big fan of red ink in general, since I no longer teach as I once did, I wasn't sure what to expect.

I've seen this reviewed, never could quite make out in photos what color it really is, only 1-2 scans by people I've come to know do good work in color-matching in their reviews.

I'd inked up my Pelikan with this ink, along with filling my wifes' Pelikan with some Apache Sunset, to have some Autumn colors for her to use while sending out greeting cards with Fall at our heels.

So here's my hand-written review of this Bright and non-typical red-"ish" ink, one I may keep in my M800 as a daily-use ink for the upcoming season change, especially living in Florida where we don't see much change in the leaves.

Since I don't get to see all the glorious changes in the leaves with the passing of the seasons, based on where I now live [we have 2 seasons, HOT&HUMID and COLD&HUMID, very little in-between], so the next best thing is to change my ink colors!...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/Noodlers-Ottoman-Rose-Revi.jpg

I hope you enjoy my review of Noodler's Ottoman Rose, I'm certainly enjoying the color change in my "Old Style" Pelikan M800!

Best wishes to all,

Scott [aka ~Inka~]

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inka

• RLTodd

• Silvermink

• Octo

I want to thank you for a thorough and wonderful review. I am a diehard Diamine lover, but after reading your review, I may be leaning towards trying Noodler's Ottoman rose.

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Thank you, on all counts.

As a guy I was just a touch concerned it may look too "feminine", yet I'm still drawn to it, getting compliments and inquiries on the color from men and women alike, so I really don't care if it shows my "feminine" side.

I'm a big guy and if someone wants to think this ink looks feminine I don't really care; so far no one has commented on that as being an issue and all I get are compliments, plus I like it and to me that's what really matters.

It's a joy to write with, I think I'm hooked on the color and other properties such as shading and flow characteristics of this ink now, was even happier to be able to share something I really like.

I often catch peoples' attention when signing store receipts with a fountain pen, now getting remarks like "What a cool color!", That's a really nice looking ink!", or "I know that's a fountain pen but what kind of ink is that you're using?".

The best part is when I send someone a letter and they get back to me saying they really liked the ink I'd used, don't care much about the VISA store receipt signatures but it's nice when letters are enjoyed more from the ink used.

I'm always finding myself looking over letters I get, and wondering what ink was used to write them, kinda like watching TV or movies and trying to figure out what pen is being used, seems it's a healthy addiction.

By the way, I didn't include a wash-test this time as I normally do in my reviews, just an FYI this ink is by no means so much as water-resistant for those that are interested.

About a good 50-75% of Ottoman Rose washed out of paper almost completely with just a cold running water soaking, so I didn't feel the need to show how waterproof [or in this case not waterproof] it is.

It faded out even more while I was waiting for the paper to dry, began to feather outwardly so as to make the writing somewhat illegible, definitely not one of Noodler's "bulletproof" inks in case anyone's interested.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

Isn't this the replacement ink that was supposed to replace the long lost and lamented Skrip Persian Rose? Or am I thinking of Noodler's Shah's Rose?

Edited by RLTodd

YMMV

Isn't this the replacement ink that was supposed to replace the long lost and lamented Skrip Persian Rose? Or am I thinking of Noodler's Shah's Rose?

I don't know.

I'll have to ask my friend, that sent me the sample bottles, if this is so.

He seems to have a few of the older inks on-hand, like the now discontinued Skrip and Quink, from what I recall.

He's sent me samples of the old Quink Green and old Skrip Red to try, they're a part of my ink stash now.

I believe I've seen the name Shah's Rose somewhere, at least I seem to recall the name, just no idea if this is the same ink just having been renamed.

I remember Iraqi Indigo being renamed something like Violet Vote too, so I guess anything is possible.

If I do find an answer I'll post it back here.

Seems that Shah's Rose is still in production, or at least still being stocked.

I found it at goldspot.com here just now and the sample such as it is makes it look lighter in color than their sample of Ottoman Rose looks.

Writer's Bloc has a single page with both samples shown here, much better sample shots [look like actual swabs instead of CGI as at goldspot] that shows Shah's Rose is definitely lighter than Ottoman Rose.

Looking at their purples, I'm thinking I'd like to try Noodler's Purple Martin some day soon too.

Apparently Skrip Persian Rose had been around a very long time, so probably has been discontinued having read that many ink makers have been trying to duplicate it, was around at least since the early '50s if not all the way back into the 1930s, although I've not personally had an opportunity to ever try it myself.

Ottoman Rose is one of my most favorite inks. I'd thought of it as "hot pink," so it surprises me to see it referred to as "red" here and other places on FPN. Eye of the beholder I guess. I like both the color and the behavior. The color definitely makes a statement, but it isn't obnoxious about it.

Octo

I was afraid it was going to be too pink for me, when I saw the word "Rose" used at the end of the name, as I'm not a "pink" kinda guy.

I have friends that are as big as me, that love wearing pink shirts, one is an ex NAVY SEAL and another is ex-Marine Corps, go figure they're all straight and they love wearing pink, it's just not for me.

One good friend that love wearing pink is always telling me "Only a real man can get away with wearing pink!", whatever that's supposed to mean as I've never bothered asking, I just try not to bust out laughing.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the color of Ottoman Rose more of a red to my eyes and that I'm so taken to it.

It's also interesting that the Writer's Bloc I'd Linked to above actually has it listed under their "purple" inks, when I don't see it as a purple at all.

I haven't used Ottoman Rose, but do like PR Arabian Rose which I think is a shade less red (though it may just be flow variation).

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I haven't used Ottoman Rose, but do like PR Arabian Rose which I think is a shade less red (though it may just be flow variation).

You'd gotten me curious about PR-AR, so I just looked over several reviews of PR Arabian Rose to see what it looks like.

To me Arabian Rose looks like it has more of a violet color to it, where Ottoman Rose seems to me more like a vibrant mix of nearly florescent dark crimsons & dark magenta.

So I think you're right, from what I've seen others review, there's less red to AR than there is to OR, at least to my eyes, and it seems more of a softer violet color [reminds me a bit of Cd'A-Storm violet].

Thanks.

Here's the TEMPORARY Links Ann Finley had put up recently, to the PR-AR reviews I'd found...

Private Reserve

Arabian Rose

girlieg33k's review,

biffybeans' review,

gemnah's review,

dizzypen's review,

Signum 1's review

Oh man, the second temptation from Inka... first in a letter, now in a full review. This one's growing on me! Also, on my monitor it looks like Skrip and Nikita reds are very close. Is that true IRL?

Edited by bphollin

...on my monitor it looks like Skrip and Nikita reds are very close. Is that true IRL?

Yep, my scanner/PC has been recognized by many as reproducing TTL colors far more closely to IRL than most.

It's harder to tell since I used rather Fine tipped nibs, but the Skrip Red is actually a darker, truer red to my eyes IRL than Nikita is.

Nikita is often advertised as being a "Fire-Engine Red" but I honestly think the old Skrip Red-Slovenian is more fitting to that description than is Nikita red.

Ottoman Rose is one of my most favorite inks. I'd thought of it as "hot pink," so it surprises me to see it referred to as "red" here and other places on FPN. Eye of the beholder I guess. I like both the color and the behavior. The color definitely makes a statement, but it isn't obnoxious about it.

Octo

Ottoman Rose is at the top of the heap for in Rose/reddish... inks. Just below it is Noodlers Mandalay Maroon and Caran d Ache Sunset.

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

A few observations: Ottoman Rose in the example Inka links looks to be very close to Seguaro Wine. Also, isn't Mandalay Maroon more water resistant than either Ottoman or Seguaro???

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

• 4 years later...

I received a handwritten note from Goulet Pens using this ink and its is absolutely GORGEOUS!. Looks more like wine-red and I am ordering it soon. Your sample looks like a brighter red but it may be the paper. Don't know what paper they used.

Edited by Oldtimer