Thoughts On Recent Poas 888 - Ludovico Vs Steinway Vs Borghese Etc

nishantdr83

Dear all,

While I am primarily a lurker, I am writing to request members general thoughts on recent POAs. I buy my pens to use and with MB introducing steps in many of their recent offerings, I am wondering if you think any of the recent POAs have the potential to be a classic, much like Karl or Carnegie. I have been thinking of picking up Alexander 888 vs one of the new ones.

Cheers

Nishant

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nishantdr83

• blottingpaperforlife

• Zippozippo

• mjchuang9

Hello,

I love the Steinway 888. I've not been a fan of the recent POAs or WEs, but find the Steinway stunning.

My favorite 888 is the Gaius Maecenas, Karl and Steinway.

Good luck and do post pictures when you get it.

My favorite POA was the Octavian.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

I have the Steinway 888 and really love it but I also like the PoA of 2017 and the new one of this year. I will have to see them both in real to compare them and decide which one I will buy. I was also really fan of the Gaius Maecenas 888 at the beginning and now I don't find it so much appealing to me, only the cap interests me so for my next purchase of PoA 888 I will prefer the Borghese or the Ludwig II.

You can find some photos of my Steinway 888 in my post here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/320970-personal-collection/?p=3822779

Hello,

I love the Steinway 888. I've not been a fan of the recent POAs or WEs, but find the Steinway stunning.

My favorite 888 is the Gaius Maecenas, Karl and Steinway.

Good luck and do post pictures when you get it.

Gaius is surely up there for me. Have one ordered actually. Last one to leave the factory it will be. For me, both the pen and the patron have to pick interest and it sure ticks the right boxes

Steinway might have to be next.

My favorite POA was the Octavian.

Held one recently. Loved it. Somehow, it did not feel as special as it wanted it to. Maybe, I was riding too high on my own expectations.

I have the Steinway 888 and really love it but I also like the PoA of 2017 and the new one of this year. I will have to see them both in real to compare them and decide which one I will buy. I was also really fan of the Gaius Maecenas 888 at the beginning and now I don't find it so much appealing to me, only the cap interests me so for my next purchase of PoA 888 I will prefer the Borghese or the Ludwig II.

You can find some photos of my Steinway 888 in my post here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/320970-personal-collection/?p=3822779

Your pictures are most valuable. Trust me, I have been through almost all the pictorials you have posted here. They help a lot and have surely picked my interest in Steinway 888. I like the idea of a more traditional / conservative barrel design and no use of plating on the 888 versions.

The description of the 888 Steinway from montblanc.com as below , the piano frame is gold-plated, only the skeletonized parts and the clip are gold.

The Patron of Art Edition Henry E. Steinway refers to the classic beauty of a Steinway piano. A gold-coated piano frame decorates the cap whereas the cap of the 888 edition is made of artfully skeletonized Au 750 solid gold. Black and white piano keys adorn the barrel of the 888 edition. The clip resembles the patented screw used for bending the grand piano rim. “Steinway & Sons”, the name to be found above the keyboard of every Steinway piano, is engraved on the cone ring of these Limited Editions, completed by an engraved portrait of Henry E. Steinway on the Au 750 solid gold nib.

Edited by mjchuang9

Are you sure of that ?

What of the cap ring, piston ring and metal section ? Looks like they avoid telling us about it keeping things ambiguous.

In some pictures on the web, piston ring has gold hallmarks right alongside the limited ed number.

I called NY boutique and they were not sure suggesting that almost everything on 888 versions is made of gold and is not plated.

The description of the 888 Steinway from montblanc.com as below , the piano frame is gold-plated, only the skeletonized parts and the clip are gold.

The Patron of Art Edition Henry E. Steinway refers to the classic beauty of a Steinway piano. A gold-coated piano frame decorates the cap whereas the cap of the 888 edition is made of artfully skeletonized Au 750 solid gold. Black and white piano keys adorn the barrel of the 888 edition. The clip resembles the patented screw used for bending the grand piano rim. Steinway & Sons, the name to be found above the keyboard of every Steinway piano, is engraved on the cone ring of these Limited Editions, completed by an engraved portrait of Henry E. Steinway on the Au 750 solid gold nib.

Are you sure of that ?

What of the cap ring, piston ring and metal section ? Looks like they avoid telling us about it keeping things ambiguous.

In some pictures on the web, piston ring has gold hallmarks right alongside the limited ed number.

I called NY boutique and they were not sure suggesting that almost everything on 888 versions is made of gold and is not plated.

I am not sure about that. It is possible I misunderstood the explanation. When I see the the explanation in Chinese or Japanese, it is said the skeletonized cap of the Steinway 888 version is gold. I own two 888 versions: Ludovico Sforza and Ludwig II, the fittings of Ludovico Sforza are gold, including the clip, however, the clip and the silver color fittings of Ludwig II is plated yet the the skeleton overlay is gold.

Edited by mjchuang9

My reseller tells me that everything that is gold on 888s is solid gold and not plated. The same is obviously not true for the platinum colored parts.

The lacquer work, particularly on 888 barrels, is over resin or stainless steel, sometimes over brass, at least in the more recent editions. The staff at the Texas headquarters said that the Ludovico barrel is stainless steel with blue lacquer. The current Ludwig has resin underneath the gold skeleton and the white lacquer.

Personally I admire the beautiful artwork and the designs of the pens even if not everything is made of precious metals. However, I think its good to know what materials are used for specific pens.

The lacquer work, particularly on 888 barrels, is over resin or stainless steel, sometimes over brass, at least in the more recent editions. The staff at the Texas headquarters said that the Ludovico barrel is stainless steel with blue lacquer. The current Ludwig has resin underneath the gold skeleton and the white lacquer.

Personally I admire the beautiful artwork and the designs of the pens even if not everything is made of precious metals. However, I think its good to know what materials are used for specific pens.

Agree with your sentiment there. It is all means of joy and appreciation. When spending so much more, I only wish to make sure that the pen will age gracefully and the plating wont peel off.

One would expect durability and some form of permanence when buying such valuable pens. Reading your post made me think how does Montblanc defines fittings? Is it the same as furnishings used by some fountain pen companies?

Yes Montblanc is pretty "shady" this way.Im interested in purchasing Elizabeth 888 from the boutique, do you happen to know the material behind the "red transparent lacquer"?

It is advertised as being 750 pink gold coated with transparent crimson lacquer. Elizabeth 888 is 12 grams heavier than the 4810 version by the way.

It is a personal favorite of all the 888 Editions MB has made. A beautiful piece. Your Boutique still has one up for grabs? That is very lucky indeed!

It is advertised as being 750 pink gold coated with transparent crimson lacquer. Elizabeth 888 is 12 grams heavier than the 4810 version by the way.

It is a personal favorite of all the 888 Editions MB has made. A beautiful piece. Your Boutique still has one up for grabs? That is very lucky indeed!

It has one for grabs with inflated price tag.Which is why I need to know for sure its not stainless steel or brass under the lacquer.

I assumed you have both of them since you know exactly it was 12 grams heavier than the 4810 version.would you do the honor and review for us the 888 version kind sir?

• 2 weeks later...

It has one for grabs with inflated price tag.Which is why I need to know for sure its not stainless steel or brass under the lacquer.

I assumed you have both of them since you know exactly it was 12 grams heavier than the 4810 version.would you do the honor and review for us the 888 version kind sir?

Sorry for the late reply! I'm currently on holiday and totally disconnected. I've never done a review and honestly wouldn't know where to begin, but if you tell me what you want to see I'll try to do my best.

The price of a particular limited edition, I think, is not necessarily related to the material(s) used. I am new to Montblanc, and many members here have experience and expertise in the limited editions, and the very limited ones, could enlighten us on this subject. My understanding is that Montblanc high cost , sometimes, has to do with the artwork and design efforts. The cost, therefore, is based on the labor that goes into creating these beautiful pieces. The website, for example, describes 88, The Water Dragon, with silver cap and lacquer barrel. In those pens where less precious metals are used, such as steel or brass, the cost could be high because of artisan labor. I think there are several factors related to cost.