The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Visconti Changed Its Steel Nibs

visconti nib small size nib steel nib compatibility

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Susanna

Susanna

il meglio del Made in Italy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2018 - 17:36

Visconti recently changed its small-size steel nibs, did you notice? 

All the Rembrandt and Van Gogh fountain pens they're selling, since the beginning of 2018, are equipped with the new model of steel nib. It's quite ugly to see, but it seems very smooth and pleasant to use.

The bad news is that these new nibs are no longer compatible with the grips of the previous model. Not the whole nib group, nor the metal sheet only: they have different sizes, therefore also the slot in the grip changed.

It's a pity, because the full compatibility and the interchange possibility of nibs, even among different pens, was a wonderful feature of Visconti, in my opinion.

You could unscrew a calligraphic EF steel nib from a Giardino dell'Eden and screw it in a Homo Sapiens Medium, for example; even if this one mounts a small palladium nib with a different look. And vice-versa, because they were compatible.

PenniniConfronto.jpg

Moreover, also the tip classification changed.
The F, M, B mark is missing, there is a different unit of measurement, now.

I explained all this in my blog: http://blog.giardino...ith-older-ones/

Susanna
----------
Giardino Italiano, il meglio del Made in Italy - www.giardino.it - www.pens.it

My Facebook page
My Blog:  blog.giardino.it

Sponsored Content

#2 MalcolmH

MalcolmH

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2018 - 18:29

Thank you for the information, Susanna.

#3 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,659 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2018 - 18:50

Not as nice looking for sure. Is the dot you mention in the blog for nib sizing on the front of the nib? No breather hole either!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#4 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2018 - 23:17

Thank you, Susanna.

What on earth were they thinking?

#5 oregano

oregano

Fairly Dipped

• Member - Gold

• 935 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2018 - 00:03

I heard on a Goulet Q & A video that they had a steel nib shortage and in the meantime (until the end of the year, I believe) they are using these older steel nibs they had as a stopgap. They (Visconti) are advertising them as a little flexible.

#6 mikepinkerton

mikepinkerton

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:16

I heard on a Goulet Q & A video that they had a steel nib shortage and in the meantime (until the end of the year, I believe) they are using these older steel nibs they had as a stopgap. They (Visconti) are advertising them as a little flexible.

Yup, was about to post the same thing. It's because they are in the process of re-designing their nibs, which will be available towards the end of the year (according to Goulet). 

#7 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:17

Good info, thanks!

#8 Miyajima

Miyajima

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2018 - 15:49

I just bought a van Gogh on saturday at the Cologne Pen Show and the nib on is one with the dots instead of F, M etc. I have two dots, which makes it a M and it writes like a dream, really buttery smooth. :wub:

#9 shahrincamille

shahrincamille

Hunter-killer

• Member - Gold

• 884 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:14

If this new nib writes better than the previous one, then I'd say this is an upgrade and something to look forward to  :D

Shahrin B)

#10 Multipen

Multipen

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 23:01

I was in Florence 2 weeks ago and visited the Visconti store and got my first Visconti.(Rembradt)  :) I received it it with the old style nib.

#11 Misfit

Misfit

Goddess of Inanimate Objects

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 22:44

I love that crescent shape they use, so I hope it is temporary.  I really like all my Visconti pens, and love the stub nibs.

Posted Image

#12 Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:04

Thank you for the information, Susanna.

Ditto!!!

#13 flipper_gv

flipper_gv

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2018 - 00:55

The new one really looks Schmidt made.

#14 jekostas

jekostas

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:33

The new one really looks Schmidt made.

Schmidt no longer makes nibs.  Current Schmidt-branded nibs are made by Bock (and likely this one is too).

#15 flipper_gv

flipper_gv

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2018 - 16:36

Schmidt no longer makes nibs.  Current Schmidt-branded nibs are made by Bock (and likely this one is too).

Good to know thanks

#16 jthole

jthole

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2019 - 16:04

Thank you, Susanna.

What on earth were they thinking?

Today I had a chance to test the old and new nibs together. The new nibs are noticably different in my opinion; slightly more give than the old ones, and smooth without skipping.

If this new nib writes better than the previous one, then I'd say this is an upgrade and something to look forward to  :D

In my opinion, yes.

Edited by jthole, 02 February 2019 - 16:05.

#17 drathbun

drathbun

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2019 - 22:03

I bought a Van Gogh "Starry Night" yesterday. It was in the old triangular box (which I understand they don't do anymore) but it has the new style nib. It is a medium with the two circles. 

I was disappointed that it wasn't an old enough stock to have the pen with the black background on the Visconti logo on the clip or the name "Starry Night" on the barrel and the old nib WAS more attractive. However, I'm not concerned about any of that because this new style nib writes like a dream. The pen is beautiful, of course, but it is important for the pen to write well or I'd truly be disappointed. I'm glad to see Visconti has upped the quality of the steel nib. It might be "entry-level" for some, but it is the most expensive fountain pen I've ever conceived of owning.

V25vm69.jpg

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes." 

- William Thackeray

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: visconti nib, small size nib, steel nib, compatibility

Sponsored Content

|