Rust In Cap Of Montblanc Heritage 1912

docdroe

Yes, that part is definitely different! I can also see the hexagonal part in a photo posted alongside a review on penaddict.

Perhaps this is due to different production runs?

Or I've lost part of the pen without noticing it? Which would quite surprise me I have to say...

Edited by docdroe

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• docdroe

• Chrissy

• thygreyt

• Amit.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's likely to be just a difference in production runs. It looks like yours has something like a C clip while the other one has a nut.. :)

I also saw the used 1912 in some reviews having this rust inside the cap too.

Didn't think it would be that bad so I went on and ordered it.

After just two weeks, I can see similar marks begin to form inside the cap too........

Is this one of the reasons this pen is *so* discontinued, apart from the scratch on the barrel?

@ Chrissy: Yes, I do hope thats the case :)

@ wpj_ole: I am sorry, that's a shame. But that would point towards it being a more widespread issue. Or rather non-issue since I dont think that it negatively influences the performance of the pen. Nevertheless, it is a bit annoying.

@ amitroberai: Thanks for your photo! That looks quite good I think. Perhaps you could monitor the future development and keep us informed of any unexpected occurrences :).

I am going to return to Germany next week and plan on sending my pen to Montblanc for inspection then. I am curious what MB will say. I will keep you posted!

Edited by docdroe

• 3 weeks later...

Small update: Ive sent the pen to MB last week and am currently waiting to hear back. Ill keep you posted!

Small update: Ive sent the pen to MB last week and am currently waiting to hear back. Ill keep you posted!

All the best. I'm sure they will take good care of it.

My pen has returned!

I've just collected the parcel and had a look at it. First, I'm very pleasantly surprised by the fast turn around time. My pen reached MB on the 23rd and I think they sent it out again the very same day. I'm quite happy about that.

Secondly, and unfortunately, I'm not quite sure what exactly was done about the problem. The documents that were included in the parcel mention a tier 2 service and that apparently the cap and the feed were supposed to be examined. Additionally the invoice mentions an item named 'cap'. However, the cap is still the old one and thus was neither replaced nor cleaned, which is what I was hoping for. It is a bit disappointing and I'm going to give MB a ring tomorrow to inquire further and ask whether I should send it in a second time for the cap to be replaced.

I understand that my problem might be a purely cosmetic concern, for the time being at least; but should the corrosion progress further it might lead to a structural failure at some point. And I don't consider it completely out of line to expect a replacement of the part in question, especially in a pen of that price and the minimal amount of use to which it has been subjected so far.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do and keep you updated :).

I would expect a service to include a clean, if the cap is still covered in ink (or corrosion) then this has not happened. Send it back and request they clean the cap interior.

I had a 146 which was not writing right, I had to send it three times before they finally fixed it.

When discussing serviving, and things that went right, and unfortunately wrong, it would be useful to know which service centre it went to, if known.

From reading this forum it seems some service centres are better than others, and this would be helpful to the other readers.

Just a thought.

Extremely disheartening to get the pen back in the same condition. Seems as if nothing was done . I suggest to shoot a mail to their head office along with photographs. Hopefully someone over there should listen. All the best and keep us posted.

My pen has returned!

I've just collected the parcel and had a look at it. First, I'm very pleasantly surprised by the fast turn around time. My pen reached MB on the 23rd and I think they sent it out again the very same day. I'm quite happy about that.

Secondly, and unfortunately, I'm not quite sure what exactly was done about the problem. The documents that were included in the parcel mention a tier 2 service and that apparently the cap and the feed were supposed to be examined. Additionally the invoice mentions an item named 'cap'. However, the cap is still the old one and thus was neither replaced nor cleaned, which is what I was hoping for. It is a bit disappointing and I'm going to give MB a ring tomorrow to inquire further and ask whether I should send it in a second time for the cap to be replaced.

I understand that my problem might be a purely cosmetic concern, for the time being at least; but should the corrosion progress further it might lead to a structural failure at some point. And I don't consider it completely out of line to expect a replacement of the part in question, especially in a pen of that price and the minimal amount of use to which it has been subjected so far.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do and keep you updated :).

When discussing serviving, and things that went right, and unfortunately wrong, it would be useful to know which service centre it went to, if known.

From reading this forum it seems some service centres are better than others, and this would be helpful to the other readers.

Just a thought.

I sent the pen directly to the main Montblanc Service Center in Hamburg.

Extremely disheartening to get the pen back in the same condition. Seems as if nothing was done . I suggest to shoot a mail to their head office along with photographs. Hopefully someone over there should listen. All the best and keep us posted.

Thanks! It is indeed a bit frustrating and it seems that the customer service and you think alike regarding photos :).

I've just got off the phone with the customer service and they explained to me that the cap was, in fact, replaced; apparently due to a hairline crack... Although I am almost 100% certain there wasn't such a crack, I don't mind much since this diagnosis lead to the cap being replaced. However, the inside of my cap still looks just like before and when I inquired about that it was explained that cap and top of cap (which is the corroded part) are two separate parts and presumably only the cracked part was replaced an the top left as is. Anyway, I was asked to send and email with pictures and an explanation and they'll try to resolve the issue and get back to me (which unfortunately will only be after Tuesday because of Easter).

Stay tuned for updates :).

Edited by docdroe

Now where did his crack come from ? Surprising !!!

I sent the pen directly to the main Montblanc Service Center in Hamburg.

Thanks! It is indeed a bit frustrating and it seems that the customer service and you think alike regarding photos :).

I've just got off the phone with the customer service and they explained to me that the cap was, in fact, replaced; apparently due to a hairline crack... Although I am almost 100% certain there wasn't such a crack, I don't mind much since this diagnosis lead to the cap being replaced. However, the inside of my cap still looks just like before and when I inquired about that it was explained that cap and top of cap (which is the corroded part) are two separate parts and presumably only the cracked part was replaced an the top left as is. Anyway, I was asked to send and email with pictures and an explanation and they'll try to resolve the issue and get back to me (which unfortunately will only be after Tuesday because of Easter).

Stay tuned for updates :).

Now where did his crack come from ? Surprising !!!

Haha, well, it certainly is a very convenient fault for MB to justify replacements :)

Edit:

And perhaps someone who knows the anatomy of the 1912 a bit better could chime in but is the cap actually comprised of two parts? To me it seems one solid piece and quite impossible to take apart...

Edited by docdroe

Most modern fountain pen caps have the following parts:

Outer cap "barrel"

Inner cap

Clip

Cap top

Screw to hold the assembly together

So MB could have replaced the outer cap, but kept the inner cap, cap top, clip and screw.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

Please excuse my long silence but I'm returning today with good news!

After a short email back and forth with MB they asked me to send the pen back in again, this time with printed photos of the discolouration/rust. The pen arrived at MB Hamburg 6 days ago and returned to the UK today. I am happy to say that the screw has been replaced! Attached below is a photo of the now pristine cap and I don't think it's clearly visible but what was a c-clip before is now a hexagonal part similar to the innards of the cap as seen in amitoberai's photo.

To conclude: I am very pleased with how everything turned out. MB Hamburg was very pleasant to deal with and very forthcoming with impressive turnaround times, albeit it's a tiny bit annoying that I had to send the pen in twice. However, every repair was done under warranty, which leaves me only with the shipping cost.

Thanks again to everybody here for your help and comments!

post-135216-0-30752400-1524582384_thumb.jpg

Edited by docdroe

All's well that ends well! Congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!