The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

New Inks: Elixir Colorist Collection

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#141 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2018 - 14:28

I hear you, but most users aren't like us, so they don't use as much ink.  They use stock EF, F & M nibs, and assuming that they write half of what you do, they consume about 1/8th, maybe a 1/16th.

True that. I used to have a bottle a month habit. But Scrivener on my laptop cut that to a third of a bottle.

Sponsored Content

#142 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2018 - 21:21

$0.07/page for ink. That is affordable.

#143 invisuu

invisuu

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:34

A few pictures popped up over on reddit by user hismajestytheonly :
https://m.imgur.com/a/GHEKfNt

#144 Cyrille

Cyrille

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:31

I like the violet and the azure ink, not really fan of the pourpre one. Waiting that my reseller receives them with the Esmerald too.

#145 Michael R.

Michael R.

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:57

P1260802.jpg

More close-up pictures: here

From the short and limited observation the inks are not overly saturated so I expect them to provide nice shading. The Azure and Violet de Cobalt are more regular shades of turquoise and violet. But the Pourpre I like a lot! Maybe similar to the de Dark Saffron Saint-Exupéry ink but less saturated and slightly colder.

P1260798.jpg

The Emerald Green ink really is very similar to Emerald Green ink which was made from the 1960s to 1990s.

Cheers

Michael

#146 Cyrille

Cyrille

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 14:39

P1260802.jpg

From the short and limited observation the inks are not overly saturated so I expect them to provide nice shading. The Azure and Violet de Cobalt are more regular shades of turquoise and violet. But the Pourpre I like a lot! Maybe similar to the de Dark Saffron Saint-Exupéry ink but less saturated and slightly colder.

P1260798.jpg

The Emerald Green ink really is very similar to Emerald Green ink which was made from the 1960s to 1990s.

Cheers

Michael

Thank you Michael for the photos. Really nice and I like the different colors of ink.

#147 Namo

Namo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 15:00

OK everyone.  Take a deep breath, look at your own collection of fountain pens and inks, and ask yourself "Is it worth it" for you?  The answer for the vast majority of the population will be a resounding "NO!!!", although those fountain pens and inks in your cherished collection may be worth it for you.  It's no different with these Elixir inks.  

Then watch this video:
https://www.youtube....h?v=-kKeCVbsEi0

Consider:
TWSBI VAC 700 cost $60 to $80 USD
Pilot Custom 823, with similar filling system and some extras cost 5 X TWSBIs
Visconti Homo Sapiens power filler, with similar filling system and some extras cost 10 X TWSBI's
Conid Bulk Filler, with similar filling system and some extras cost 15 X TWSBIs.

A lot of you folks own these pens, because for some reason they are worth it for you, even though a $60 TWSBI is effectively doing the same thing at a fraction of the cost.  

When you are passionately into something as "niche" as fountain pens, it always comes down to the big question, "Is it worth it" for you?

I think you miss an important point here: a Twsbi will not outlast a lifetime of use and abuse... Some high priced objects are indeed worth their prices because of the time invested in them, the quality and durability of the material used and so on... (i.e. on the long run, it will cost less tout buy a Mercedès than a Mazda). Of course this does not apply to inks, that are not a lasting object... And to people compulsively buying expensive writing tools... Sad news about Sailor tough, it's my ink brand if choice... Will end going back to Waterman's.

amonjak.com

cropped-amonjak-partie-4-de-4_page_4-modifiee1.jpg  

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

#148 Reed_thoughts

Reed_thoughts

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2018 - 14:59

Cheers

Michael

Could i trouble you for a request?

Could you compare the three elixirs to the three special editions:

Azure to Unicef

Poupre to Exupery/ lavander purple

Violet to Beatles

Thank you! The pictures are amazing, and the bottles are just so amazingly good looking.

What do you think of the inks? i mean flow, shading, lubrication, etc...

Edited by Reed_thoughts, 07 May 2018 - 15:00.

#149 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2018 - 16:16

I like the azure a lot.

#150 Michael R.

Michael R.

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2018 - 18:46

P1260813.jpg

• on the left:  Elixir Pourpre, Violet & Azure
  • on the right:  Turquoise (vintage), Dandy Turquoise, Ink of Friendship & Unicef Blue

So basically Elixir Azure is a little bit lighter and less saturated than the Unicef Blue.

P1260815.jpg

• on the left:  Elixir Pourpre, Violet & Azure
  • on the right:  Violet (vintage 1960s), Violet (vintage 1980s)Psychedelic Purple, Lavender Purple & Violet (2000s)

Elixir Violet is a lot less saturated and maybe a hint lighter compared to Psychedelic Purple.

P1260818.jpg

• on the right:  Elixir Pourpre, Violet & Azure
  • on the left:  Pink, Dark SaffronBurgundy (1990s) & Burgundy (2000s)

Elixir Pourpre is similar to Dark Saffron in terms of color but less saturated and slightly lighter. Burgundy has more brown tones. Lavender is much more towards an eggplant purple and darker and more saturated.

I've tried the Pourpre in a pen only so far (vintage 1970s Montblanc 221 with a BB nib) and it performs very well so far with a good ink flow and nice shading. It is a little watery and has a matte, almost vintage appearance on most papers.

Cheers

Michael

#151 Reed_thoughts

Reed_thoughts

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2018 - 18:59

Wow, this is way more than what i asked for!

Thank you so much for your generous contribution to our continuing education!

#152 Michael R.

Michael R.

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2018 - 19:17

glad this helps :-)

#153 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 5,572 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2018 - 19:30

Michael - Thank you so much. Super helpful especially as I have some of the vintage ink you used in the comparison.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#154 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to BBBB Small Signature

• Member - Gold

• 3,920 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2018 - 22:58

fpn_1525733704__no_image.png

~ The screenshot above is what appears on my computer screen.

It's posted as an illustration of the high degree of content blocking which regularly occurs where I work and live.

Not only are nearly all “foreign” videos blocked, by the majority of still photos never appear on-creen.

Not a complaint, but merely an observation.

Tom K.

#155 niksch

niksch

Donor Pen

• Premium - Emerald

• 4,897 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:28

True that. I used to have a bottle a month habit. But Scrivener on my laptop cut that to a third of a bottle.

Infidel  :lticaptd:

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

#156 Andrew-AMID

Andrew-AMID

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:27

Can't wait for the $120.00 MB 35ml bottle of "Blacker than Black"... Coming soon, 2021. The cap will be triangle, and very collectable. 

All kidding aside... MB probably see's the crazy prices people are paying for Velvet red, seaweed,  Diamond blue etc etc... these new inks will be on ebay for $500.00 in 18 months... buy as many as you can.

#157 niksch

niksch

Donor Pen

• Premium - Emerald

• 4,897 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:45

Can't wait for the $120.00 MB 35ml bottle of "Blacker than Black"... Coming soon, 2021. The cap will be triangle, and very collectable. 

All kidding aside... MB probably see's the crazy prices people are paying for Velvet red, seaweed,  Diamond blue etc etc... these new inks will be on ebay for $500.00 in 18 months... buy as many as you can.

For this old MB ink fan, as well as others I'm sure, some old inks are all we need.  Bordeaux, Racing Green, Sepia, oh, and BLACK and the old-school permanent Blue-Black.  

Just a few that I have and appreciate and so I don't need to spend $3.43 per mL of ink.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

#158 Michael R.

Michael R.

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:14

@Tom Kellie:

Sorry to hear; would you be able to see them when going to my blog (link below)?

I‘ve posted them there as well.

Cheers

Michael

#159 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to BBBB Small Signature

• Member - Gold

• 3,920 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:37

@Tom Kellie:

Sorry to hear; would you be able to see them when going to my blog (link below)?

I‘ve posted them there as well.

~ Michael R.:

In the region where I work and live hundreds of “foreign” Web sites are completely unavailable.

They're aggressively blocked 24/7 to keep out “foreign” content.

Not only is Blogspot blocked here, but also Flickr, all forms of Google, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and many, many more.

It's “just one of those things”.

In any case, I'm grateful that others have been able to better appreciate the recently released Elixir Colorist inks thanks to your post!

Ha! Maybe I'll need to buy them to do so!

Tom K.

#160 Mew

Mew

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,091 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:48

~ Michael R.:

In the region where I work and live hundreds of foreign Web sites are completely unavailable.

They're aggressively blocked 24/7 to keep out foreign content.

Not only is Blogspot blocked here, but also Flickr, all forms of Google, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and many, many more.

It's just one of those things.

In any case, I'm grateful that others have been able to better appreciate the recently released Elixir Colorist inks thanks to your post!

Ha! Maybe I'll need to buy them to do so!

Tom K.

Some of my Chinese friends use proxies. Ever tried those?

Sponsored Content

|