The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Custom 823 Design Flaw?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 ateebtk

ateebtk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 17:49

Hi,
I'm interested in buying an amber Pilot Custom 823 but have heard from a reputable online retailer that it has a design flaw; apparently many pens have been returned b/c cracks have developed in the barrel near the threads.

Q) Have any Custom 823 user's experienced such problems?

Also,

Q) How long do you think it will take for the seals to wear off affecting the filling mechanism of the pen?

Thanking in advance,
ATK

Sponsored Content

#2 enricof

enricof

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2010 - 18:03

Hi,
    I'm interested in buying an amber Pilot Custom 823 but have heard from a reputable online retailer that it has a design flaw; apparently many pens have been returned b/c cracks have developed in the barrel near the threads.

Q) Have any Custom 823 user's experienced such problems?

You may find this post (and all the thread) useful, the only reference I found about such a problem.

Also,

Q) How long do you think it will take for the seals to wear off affecting the filling mechanism of the pen?

Thanking in advance,
ATK

No idea, but I would not be particularly worried.

Ciao - Enrico
Diplomat #1961

Posted Image

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

#3 MadAmos

MadAmos

Radioactive

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2010 - 18:23

I have been using mine daily for 8 months or so, usually fill and flush it every two weeks. I have also disassembled the pen twice for a more thourough cleaning, and so far all is as new... that is to say perfect :D . I have used a variety of inks during this time most often various Iroshizuku, and there has been no staining or flow problems at all.
Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.
Albert Einstein

#4 PinarelloOnly

PinarelloOnly

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 19:37

Three things need to be said and so that people understand:

If you want a reliable Custom 823, do not take apart your Custom 823. So what if some have done it...it wasn't meant to be taken apart.
More often than not, the ones complaining about stress cracks are also the ones who tore down their pens.

The pen is not for clean freaks, it is a real users pen not a pen for using different color inks under the sun.
You pick your favorite ink and you stick with it and really use your pen.

Pilot is more than helpful when fixing these pens. They also know you took it apart. It's not a design flaw.

#5 PatientType

PatientType

Enjoying the Journey

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2010 - 21:14

I've had no cracking on either of mine. They look and function like new pens.

I change ink colors when I like and my pens have rinsed out cleanly each time with just tap water (and many repetitions of flushing). I've never taken my pens apart or had reason to.

I've only had my 823s for a year or so, so I can't report on how long the piston seals last. Hopefully, for many many years. :)

#6 nvbrennan

nvbrennan

That's not me ... that's CVT!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2010 - 22:50

I would imagine certainly if stripped down (which I've done) it would be easy to overtighten the threads and crack the barrel. Whether this is our problem or Pilot's is debatable but IMHO I'd wonder about how much force it would take. Considering on mine I can get it snug with no advere affects I'd wonder if there was user error. But there may also be batch variability.

#7 langere

langere

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2010 - 00:52

I've had my 823 for over two years now and no problems whatsoever.

Erick

Currently in Rotation: 

Moonman 600 "F" nib running Waterman South Sea Blue

Cross "Year of the Dog" Special Edition "M" nib running Visconti Black

Pelikan M205 Star Ruby "F" nib running Noodler's Black Swans in Australian Roses

#8 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:34

More often than not, the ones complaining about stress cracks are also the ones who tore down their pens.

I would be interested in the basis for your assertion - and the source of the information.

The one in the shop right now, with a crack at the back end AND one that developed at the section end straight down from the first crack, was not taken apart by it's owner for cleaning. The problem is that the 0 ring in the back end puts outward pressure on the barrel. The crack appears to have developed along a seam in the barrel - the cracks are perfectly in line with each other.

Edited by Ron Z, 20 March 2010 - 01:35.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#9 ateebtk

ateebtk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 20:03

so i guess there is a design flaw.... thats the 2nd repair center story ive heard... its a shame b/c i liked the pen .
atk

#10 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 20:46

so i guess there is a design flaw.... thats the 2nd repair center story ive heard... its a shame b/c i liked the pen .
atk

Two examples does not a design flaw make.
Besides, if you like the pen, are two problems from the the hundreds (thousands?) of pens out there going to keep you from getting one?
Seems a shame.

Regards, greg
Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

#11 Dan Carmell

Dan Carmell

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,344 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 22:10

The one in the shop right now, with a crack at the back end AND one that developed at the section end straight down from the first crack, was not taken apart by it's owner for cleaning. The problem is that the 0 ring in the back end puts outward pressure on the barrel. The crack appears to have developed along a seam in the barrel - the cracks are perfectly in line with each other.

Okay, this plays to my pet peeve, but I wonder about excess flushing? I'll grant you that the pen should stand up to thousands of fills over its lifetime, but I wonder if over-vigorous flushings to get every last trace of ink out of this pen may have been at least partly responsible for the cracks?

My apologies if I am accusing the pen's owner unfairly!

Dan

#12 michael_s

michael_s

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 22:35

Hi Ron,

Out of curiosity, are these cracks in the 823 repairable? Can you solvent weld them?

Is it possible some barrels were formed improperly, with micro-cracks that developed into visible cracks over time?

BTW I haven't experienced this issue on my 823, but I haven't inked it that much.

-Mike

I would be interested in the basis for your assertion - and the source of the information.

Edited by michael_s, 21 March 2010 - 00:05.

#13 Siv

Siv

Inky fingers

• Member - Gold

• 2,769 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2010 - 23:38

Two examples does not a design flaw make.

Bravo that man.

I can't believe that people are even talking about this. If the majority of pens have cracks then it's a design flaw - here we're talking about a tiny minority.

If any of you are concerned about this, don't buy it. I really have no problem with you missing out on a great pen from Pilot.
Posted Image
Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

#14 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• 9,162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2010 - 23:55

Do you know why the owner didn't send the pen to Pilot? Do they repair 823s in the US or Japan?

#15 pay

pay

PAY

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 00:06

I have the brown (ok, amber) 823. I pre-ordered it from CFP/nibs.com and took delivery as soon as it came in (a year ago ... maybe more?).

It has been inked ever since, with different colors, and in on-and-off use ever since the day it arrived.

I have flushed it several times.

I have disassembled and re-assembled it, I think at least twice.

It has been on several trans-Atlantic flights and domestic flights, usually clipped inside a backpack, sometimes (not often) in a pen case. The backpack often gets shoved under the seat in front of me or, even worse, in the overhead bin.

It is on my desk right now and, even under magnification, shows no sign of any cracks of any kind anywhere.

In my opinion, this pen is great in every way.
Whatever it is, I'm against it!
-Grouch Marx as Prof. Quincy Adams Wagstaff

#16 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• 9,162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2010 - 16:43

Where do you send the 823, 743, 742, etc to Pilot for service in the US? Or do you send them to Japan?
Does somebody have an address?

#17 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,702 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2010 - 17:04

Where do you send the 823, 743, 742, etc to Pilot for service in the US? Or do you send them to Japan?

Pilot website USA: http://www.pilotpen.us/contactus/

Mailing Address:

Pilot Pen
Attn.: Consumer Service
3855 Regent Blvd.
Jacksonville, FL 32224
Tel. 904-645-9999
Fax 904-996-2974

Presently I have one American bought Pilot with the US service centre through the help of an American friend.

Regards,
Hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#18 enricof

enricof

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2010 - 18:55

Pilot website USA: http://www.pilotpen.us/contactus/

Mailing Address:

Pilot Pen
Attn.: Consumer Service
3855 Regent Blvd.
Jacksonville, FL 32224
Tel. 904-645-9999
Fax 904-996-2974

Presently I have one American bought Pilot with the US service centre through the help of an American friend.

Regards,
Hari

Hari, what's the matter with your 823?

Cracked barrel's ends or something else?

Ciao - Enrico
Diplomat #1961

Posted Image

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

#19 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,702 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:33

Hari, what's the matter with your 823?

Cracked barrel's ends or something else?

Hi it is not the 823, my 823 is fighting fit! It is a leaking inset nib unit on a Pilot Silvern Dragon. It is in for warranty replacement.

Best,
Hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#20 teeitup418holes

teeitup418holes

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 15:10

In my opinion, Pilot is a large enough company to where they wouldn't even put a pen on the market if it had a flaw in the design. I echo what other owners are saying about this pen. It is a wonderful, excellent, incredible pen! But hey, if two cases turn you away from this magnificent pen, just don't get it. I can say that you are really missing out though! It's a fantastic pen and does not have a design flaw.

Sponsored Content

|