Pilot Custom 823 Design Flaw?

ateebtk

Where do you send the 823, 743, 742, etc to Pilot for service in the US? Or do you send them to Japan?

Does somebody have an address?

Pilot website USA: http://www.pilotpen.us/contactus/

Mailing Address:

Pilot Pen

Attn.: Consumer Service

3855 Regent Blvd.

Jacksonville, FL 32224

Tel. 904-645-9999

Fax 904-996-2974

Presently I have one American bought Pilot with the US service centre through the help of an American friend.

Regards,

Hari

Hari, according the Pilot USA, some Pilots like the 823 are serviced in the USA, and others for example the 743 and the more expensive Namikis are sent to Japan.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Namloop

• Blade Runner

• hari317

• ateebtk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hari, according the Pilot USA, some Pilots like the 823 are serviced in the USA, and others for example the 743 and the more expensive Namikis are sent to Japan.

My pen has been with Pilot USA for weeks now, maybe the pen has been sent to Japan.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I have some information that may just help with the whole how long the system lasts situation... I have a totally unrestored Sheaffer vacuum-plunger (exact same system, different manufacturer) that is from 1936, and it STILL works just fine. It goes through a LOT of use all the time, and has even been repeatedly dropped and roughed up on accident. I know that this is a totally different manufacturer and day in age, but just look at one of the demonstrator 823s, and see how big and sturdy it is. I can personally say that the rod and seal and everything is a lot bigger, sturdier, and nicer than my Sheaffer's system. So, I would bet that it will last for a very long time.

Also, it holds a (Potty Mouth) load of ink, so it's not like you will be using the system all that much until the times you clean it. My Sheaffer isn't nearly as big as the 823 and doesn't hold nearly as much ink, and even it lasts a really long time on one fill. However, I can tell you that this is both a good and slightly bad thing, because the system is really cool, and you won't want to have to wait as long as you will to be able to use it again. It's one of things you'll want to play around with, however, I strongly agree with the others that you NEVER EVER take it apart....it works best when sealed in there by factory, not by you, and as they have said, it will void warranty, so that if you DO ever need the company's help, you may not get it. With an old pen, such as my Sheaffer, some times you just have to take it apart to rebuild or fix it, but even with that, a professional is best, but with a brand new 823, there's simply no reason to do so. Even if it is like 5 years old, it will still be best left how it was when it left the factory.

A word on cleaning: READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS AND ASK OTHER USERS BEFORE YOU DO ANY OF THESE THINGS!!! As I do not have a 823 yet (about to order one, thats why I was on this thread: reading as much about it as possible), I cannot know if this is how you should clean the 823, so you will want to see what the company says, and ask other knowledgeable users first.... The problem with a vacuum-pump is cleaning, because of the rear vacuum behind the punger.....after you fill it, it is intended that you run out of ink before filling it again, because ink will obviously get trapped behind the plunger when you pull it out.....well, when you clean, water will be in the pen, and you obviously aren't going to write all the water out on something, so you have to find a way to get it out without damaging the pen or it's seals. IF YOU TRY AND FORCE IT OUT BY PULLING HARD OR FAST IT MAY FORCE IT OUT THE BACK SEAL. The best way to do this, as far as old Sheaffer models like mine go, is to very slowly pull the plunger back, going just a little bit at a time, pausing for a few seconds after a few millimeters; this way, it lets a little ink at a time to escape through the plunger's seal and back down under it.....if you pull up farther than that at a time, it can cause too much, so play it safe and only go a little bit at a time, slowly. One can go at a constant rate (not pausing after a few mm) very slowly, and it will usually be fine (with a sheaffer), but it's a nice, expensive pen and you might as well play it safe.....usually aren't in a rush when cleaning a pen, anyways, as it takes time.

--Remember, I am speaking about the Sheaffer system, and there may be a different method and/or different guidelines for this brand's system, so check instructions and the company first, so that these instructions don't somehow ruin the pen. As it is virtually alike, just different in size, age, etc., I would think that these guidelines would cause no harm, but I can't be totally sure.

I hope you get one and enjoy it, I really want one but am saving up for it for now. I absolutely love pens with built in filling systems. In my opinion, any pen over $60 should have a built in system....it just seems kinda cheap when a $100-200 pen doesn't, and almost no do.....it makes me cringe to see a $500 or even a $1000 fountain pen with a c/c system, it's rediculous that for that much money they couldn't put one in.

About the cracking: nothing but severe compression or concussion should cause that. I've dropped my Sheaffer from like 6ft onto tile 3 times and it has'nt cracked....it's near 70 years old and probably not even as thick as the 823. I've never heard of this issue with the pen, wouldn't be worried about it.

Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Stilus est Mirus.

Calamus gladio fortior.

• 4 years later...

Just got a Pilot Custom 823. The "cracks" seem to be less polished seams when I took it out of the box brand new. The plastic sticks out a bit at the seam; anyone seen this too? I had serious cracks on a seam in a green striped on a Pelican M800. None in a black M800. Thanks

Just got a Pilot Custom 823. The "cracks" seem to be less polished seams when I took it out of the box brand new. The plastic sticks out a bit at the seam; anyone seen this too? I had serious cracks on a seam in a green striped on a Pelican M800. None in a black M800. Thanks

I just examined my brand new 823 and saw these seams near the section. They felt like cracks but since they appear to be 180 deg. apart from each other, I have to agree that these are probably unpolished areas. It took 10x magnification to discern them and my fingernail just barely confirms their existence.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

I just examined my brand new 823 and saw these seams near the section. They felt like cracks but since they appear to be 180 deg. apart from each other, I have to agree that these are probably unpolished areas. It took 10x magnification to discern them and my fingernail just barely confirms their existence.

Mine are also 180 degree apart. We agree: seams, not cracks. Will keep you posted how they behave in time after daily use.

Thanks for sharing, I'm more reassured this is just a finishing issue and not cracks.

I loaned mine to my wife. She's since thoroughly abused it over 18 months or so. "why do'ya want to look at it, it's fine?" she said, correctly.

So no sign of any problems I'm pleased to report (and no chance of me getting it back any time soon either).

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

• 6 months later...

I bought my Pilot Custom 823 10 years ago, about 2005. I bought it direct from an online Japanese pen store. It is the black version that is not available from US retailors. I have not noticed any crack in all that time.

It is my most reliable pen over the years. When the pen gets into rotation, I would use it for at least a month or more. I only fill it with Noodler Polar Black because of the lubricating property of the ink. So far, none of the bad things Noodler ink allegedly do to pens happened yet. The only problem I have right now is the stopper seems to go all the way to the front of the barrel when I pushe down the plunger. That prevented the ink from getting into the barrel. I have to prevent the plunger from going all the way to the end in order to fill the pen. However, it is a fault I am willing to live with right now. If it gets worse, I will just send it in for repair.

I mean, this pen has lasted 10 years with me. There may be other people who has problem with it, but I have spent a large chunk of my life with this pen. I would gladly buy another one if the price is right.

I bought my amber smoke 823 in 2010 and it has been in continuous use ever since I received it. No sign of cracks anywhere! It's one of my very favorite pens and I would never even consider disassembling it.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

The only design flaw of the 823 is that it renders all of my other Pilot pens useless, sad and unused in their pen case.

The only design flaw of the 823 is that it renders all of my other Pilot pens useless, sad and unused in their pen case.

That is indeed a design flaw. Let me help you by taking all your other Pilots off your hands, so they can be used and feel loved and wanted.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

That is indeed a design flaw. Let me help you by taking all your other Pilots off your hands, so they can be used and feel loved and wanted.

THIS!!!^^ ^^

My Pilot E95S EF is lonely......!!!

Her only company is a Lamy Studio EF......!!;)

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

• 4 weeks later...

I backed over my first Custom 823 and I confirm many cracks. Just received it's self-funded replacement today in the clear demonstrator model and despite my dislike of gold it is a true thing of beauty. I would probably replace it even if it did crack under normal use but my previous never showed any sign of this. Ignore my miserable scrawl..post-124763-0-55264600-1444332133_thumb.jpg

Edited by steelblue

Just search this forum for "823 crack" and you will find many posts complaining about cracking. There are also posts saying that if cracks develop after the 3 year guarantee period that Pilot will charge you lots and lots of money to repair the pen. It is for these reasons that I decided not to buy this pen - which is a shame as it has many features I really, really like...

Edited by Megaloblatta

I have three 823 pens in all trims, clear, black and brown. So far, none of them developed any cracking. Knock on wood.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

• 2 months later...

Mime has cracks too

Barrel was replaced by Pilot. Took about 2 months shipping it from the Netherlands to Japan. Now it looks fine again. Hope this time it will last. Only had to pay for the shipping costs. Writes great again.

• 1 year later...

Barrel was replaced by Pilot. Took about 2 months shipping it from the Netherlands to Japan. Now it looks fine again. Hope this time it will last. Only had to pay for the shipping costs. Writes great again.

Sorry to reply on this old thread; still leaking 823's....

I am also in the Netherlands, bought a Pilot 823 last February from a Japanese seller on ebay and have a similar problem with the barrel. I have contacted the seller for a solution but would also like to know if it is possible to send the pen directly to Pilot Japan. What address did you use, how did you prove date of purchase?

I am a big fan of this pen and would love to be able to use it again.