Pics Of Writer's Edition 2011 Carlo Collodi

Sunflowers

In case you missed the video presentation osnofan found and posted on another thread, here are pics of the Writer's Edition 2011 Carlo Collodi.

Looks as if there is a cricket on the nib :vbg:

I like the cap, think the piston knob looks like an ear of corn, and hate the nasty step-down section. What do you think?

post-52611-0-16832500-1302190117.jpg

[

post-52611-0-79690500-1302190138.jpg

post-52611-0-01941400-1302190148.jpg

attachment=92186:we114.jpg]

post-52611-0-86536600-1302190156.jpg

Edited by Sunflowers

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• karmakoda

• Blade Runner

• goodguy

• Trom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can surely say that it isn't my favortie of the Writer's Editions, but it will certainly appeal to some!

MB 149 - MB 220 - Pelikan M250 - Parker 51 - Parker Urban - Hero 616

Thanks for sharing the pics! I will most likely get this to complete my WE collection.

Thanks for posting the pics. So far I like it, especially the overlay cap. I guess it's the first of its kind among the WE.

Wondering why the designers thought that the "ear of corn" piston knob design was complimentary to the flowing lines in the overlay cap?

The nib appears to be a 146 size and minimally decorated.

The Twain is quite beautiful in hand, and maybe the Collodi will have stronger appeal in person.

Thanks for posting the pics.

mmmmm not too sure about that one.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Definitely not the writer edition that will detract me from adding solitaires to my collection.

- The only imaginative fiction being written today is income tax returns -

Wondering why the designers thought that the "ear of corn" piston knob design was complimentary to the flowing lines in the overlay cap?

The nib appears to be a 146 size and minimally decorated.

The Twain is quite beautiful in hand, and maybe the Collodi will have stronger appeal in person.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Perhaps the piston knob design resembles wood with lathe marks?

I agree, with the overlay cap, I think it will look impressive in person.

Good observation. Lathe lay out for the Marionette. Practical gripping surface too.

I just had a brief look at the original Pinocchio story, and the early illustrations, some featured in the video . Much darker than the Disney version, for instance, the Cricket dies, struck by a hammer thrown by Pinocchio, and the puppet is not overly upset. Oops. I believe the words of the philosopher cricket come back to haunt Pinocchio as he develops a conscience??

This pen leaves me with a positive feeling though, and I look forward to seeing it.

Most of the charm appears to be in that beautiful cap.

I like the clip screw attachment/joint that Hari observed, less fond of the section thread step and the geometric design at the piston knob, as pointed out by Sunflowers.

I hope the resin is a deep brown. Nice.

Edited by karmakoda

Whether or not I like it I have to get it to continue my collection Of MB WEs. I still like the Hemingway best with Kafka second.

Good observation. Lathe lay out for the Marionette. Practical gripping surface too.

I just had a brief look at the original Pinocchio story, and the early illustrations, some featured in the video . Much darker than the Disney version, for instance, the Cricket dies, struck by a hammer thrown by Pinocchio, and the puppet is not overly upset. Oops. I believe the words of the philosopher cricket come back to haunt Pinocchio as he develops a conscience??

This pen leaves me with a positive feeling though, and I look forward to seeing it.

Most of the charm appears to be in that beautiful cap.

I like the clip screw attachment/joint that Hari observed, less fond of the section thread step and the geometric design at the piston knob, as pointed out by Sunflowers.

I hope the resin is a deep brown. Nice.

The section step down reminded me of a Nakaya.

The section step down reminded me of a Nakaya.

I was going to say that, having looked at the beautiful Piccolos, to compare.

The Collodi has a fairly extreme step but it is nicely rounded.

Perhaps a resident Nakaya aficionado will comment on this Writers Edition. ;)

What's happening here?? I like this pen more every time I view it. :hmm1:

I must say that I like the color combination, and it is time to get back to gold. That step down looks like murder, and I'm not one usually bothered by that part of the pen. The piston knob is just bizarre, lathed wood or not. Nib looks nice and understated.

And really, Collodi is worthy of being in a group with Woolf, Proust, Mann, Dostoevsky, etc.? Since when? This doesn't bode well for the future. If MB wanted an Italian, then Dante is surely the choice.

As a children's book illustrator I love this!! I like the funky "nose" piston knob!

Is that Monstro the whale I see in the cap?--I may just want to see him there. I hate steps in the barrels of pens but if Monstro the whale is on the cap I am so getting this pen.

The cricket nib is incredible!!

If you are only familiar with the Disney version--the Collodi version is actually not as good IMHO--Disney fixed alot in the story to make it a heart-warming tale. Still to having written a book that has been translated into so many versions is incredible.

www.stevelightart.com

That cap is fabulous. One of the best WE caps surely! I quite like the textural look of the piston knob and agree that it looks as though it would be quite practical. I never post my pens but for those that do...... possible with that piston knob?

Colour combination is luxurious and warm, making the pen look as expensive as it is bound to be. One of those that photos are unlikely to do justice to. As for that section, I have just tried to compare to my Nakaya portable writer kuro-tamenuri to the photo in the OP, and whilst similar, I believe the MBs section to be better looking, as it tapers less towards the nib. However, the step on my Nakaya is further up from the threaded section making the Nakaya's section look longer and possibly more comfortable to hold, i.e. the step on the Nakaya being less of a problem than the WE might be to hold comfortably. I guess it depends on the individual.

100% agree about there being far more fitting Italian writers than Collodi – strange choice of writer but good choice of pen design. When does it land in the boutiques? Anyone seen the packaging? I can just imagine opening up the book/box and being wowed by this pen.

Enthusiasts/collectors are easily going to remember which one the Collodi was in years to come.

Pavoni.

Another WE Yaaaaaaayyyyyyyy :clap1: :puddle:

So what do I think of it ?

Here are few thoughts I have about this pen...........

1.I am going to get it (what a surprise :ltcapd: )

2.From all the WE pens this is the most POA WE I have ever seen.

I think MB has taken a step up with this one which is a good and bad thing.

I will reserve comment on it until I hold it in my hand and know for certain but from first impression this just might be the most attrctive/eye popping WE yet!!!

3.Dont like a section with a step but again will have to see if it bothers me when writing when I get the pen.

4.This cap is to die for :puddle:

5.Piston knob ? dont know yet, again will wait to hold it in my hands.

CANT WAIT FOR SEPTEMBER :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

Respect to all

I think MB has taken a step up with this one which is a good and bad thing.

Why has MB taken a step up? The price you mean?

Btw, what does POA mean? Point of Attachment, Piece of Ass, Plan of Attack, Paid on Account?

Just kidding, I might like the Italian design though.

Edited by Trom