The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Omas Ogiva Albas: Two Italic Nibs Compared

omas omas ogiva alba italic nibs limited edition pens

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 dms525

dms525

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2015 - 00:49

[attachment=307302:zOMAS Ogiva Albas - together.jpg]

[attachment=307300:zOMAS Ogiva Alba Compare001.jpg]

[attachment=307297:zOMAS Ogiva Alba - 26.jpg]

[attachment=307298:zOMAS Ogiva Alba - nibs compared.jpg]

[attachment=307299:zOMAS Ogiva Alba - Orng nib.jpg]

[attachment=307301:zOMAS Ogiva Alba Grn nib.jpg]

À propos of previous discussions regarding OMAS Italic nibs, note that both of these nibs are 18Kt gold without tipping material. The nibs are round nibs with the tipping cut off, then ground to very smooth cursive italics. They write very smoothly, with just a bit of feedback, even with a dry ink like Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black.

The green pen was purchased from a European pen shop. The shop custom ordered the pen from the OMAS factory for me. I assume the italic nib was ground for my special order. A B nib was used. The Orange pen was ordered from a U.S. vendor who had stocked Ogiva Albas with "medium italic" nibs. These were obviously ground from M round nibs. The difference between the two nibs is small but discernible. The one ground from the B nib is perhaps 0.15 mm wider than the nib ground from the M nib. Otherwise, they are the same in smooth writing and degree of thick/thin line differentiation. They would be regarded as stubs rather than cursive italics by some, I am sure.

In any case, I am happy with both of these pens.

David

Sponsored Content

#2 Bill Wood

Bill Wood

Bill Wood

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:24

Great stuff David. I'd love that in a medium stub - although your orange comes close. Thanks for the great photos. Nicely done.

#3 dms525

dms525

Antique

• 2,445 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:30

Great stuff David. I'd love that in a medium stub - although your orange comes close. Thanks for the great photos. Nicely done.

Thanks, Bill!

David

#4 RVC

RVC

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:07

David,

Your writing is beautiful.  Perhaps many others on this forum can write as well, but not me.  In fact developing that kind of art in writing is one of the main reasons I have become interested in Fountain pens.

Thanks.

Rick

#5 Ste_S

Ste_S

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:26

Thanks for the review David, both of those look like excellent pens

#6 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:40

Lovely :)

#7 nicholasyeo

nicholasyeo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2015 - 13:26

That is a lovely nib! I think it is slightly soft... I tried the stub and it was rather soft!

#8 whichwatch

whichwatch

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,538 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 13:43

Nice review.  I came *this* close to picking up all three Albas at the LA pen show but ultimately passed.  Now I'm thinking that might have been a mistake!

Sure wish I could write like you!

Edited by whichwatch, 01 April 2015 - 13:44.

#9 dms525

dms525

Antique

• 2,445 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2015 - 16:09

That is a lovely nib! I think it is slightly soft... I tried the stub and it was rather soft!

Yes. These nibs are slightly soft. A feather touch is needed to get maximum line differentiation.

David

#10 dms525

dms525

Antique

• 2,445 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2015 - 16:14

Nice review.  I came *this* close to picking up all three Albas at the LA pen show but ultimately passed.  Now I'm thinking that might have been a mistake!

Sure wish I could write like you!

Thanks for the compliments! :)

I am exercising restraint in not getting a purple Ogiva Alba. These pens appear to have been very popular and are almost gone from many vendors. My restraint is weak though, and it is not at all clear whether "exercise" strengthens it or exhausts it.  :wacko:

David

#11 StrawberryJam

StrawberryJam

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2015 - 17:57

I am exercising restraint in not getting a purple Ogiva Alba. These pens appear to have been very popular and are almost gone from many vendors. My restraint is weak though, and it is not at all clear whether "exercise" strengthens it or exhausts it.  :wacko:

Thank you for sharing this review! I have an M-italic teal and a purple italic (size to be determined) is on its way to me. Currently holding off on the orange but I might cave pretty soon...

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.) 

#12 StrawberryJam

StrawberryJam

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2015 - 15:25

Thank you for sharing this review! I have an M-italic teal and a purple italic (size to be determined) is on its way to me. Currently holding off on the orange but I might cave pretty soon...

Purple one arrived today!  Per my post in the Italy subforum, my purple italic is marked "B", but my teal one is an M-italic. Hmmmmmm....

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.) 

#13 graystranger

graystranger

Beware of someone with one pen, they probably know how to use it

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2015 - 16:22

dms525,

Great photos, thanks for sharing this with us. I bought a green Alba with the factory M Stub, I agree, super smooth and very wet. My experience is exactly the same as yours. I love how it feels in my hand and I just love to write with it. Not for cheap paper, my nib is not for writing small, but my handwriting with it is very nice, especially with well shading ink. I love Lexington Gray. It is so wet that El Lawrence looks like black unless you are in very bright light.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

#14 shanbo

shanbo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2015 - 13:31

Your writing is beutiful .

Nice pics as well

Thanks

#15 Keyless Works

Keyless Works

Antique

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• 1,839 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2015 - 13:40

Beautiful pens and handwriting!

Out of curiosity why do they do away with the tipping material? All of my italic fountain pens (excluding Leonardt nib pens) have an iridium tip.

#16 dms525

dms525

Antique

• 2,445 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2015 - 16:44

Beautiful pens and handwriting!

Out of curiosity why do they do away with the tipping material? All of my italic fountain pens (excluding Leonardt nib pens) have an iridium tip.

Thank you.

Why OMAS cuts off the iridium completely is a mystery to me too.

David

#17 Diderot

Diderot

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2015 - 17:46

Beautiful.

#18 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 18:55

Thank you.

Why OMAS cuts off the iridium completely is a mystery to me too.

David

I wonder. Do they cut the tipping off of finished nibs, or do they form the point on nibs that have not been tipped in the first place? That would seem to make more sense from a manufacturing standpoint.

ron

#19 StrawberryJam

StrawberryJam

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2015 - 14:52

David -

A question for you - are the feeds on your pens the same?

I just looked at mine, and they have two different feeds:

aurUae4.jpg

Teal on top (M-italic); purple on bottom (B-italic)

wTfRBXm.jpg

Purple on left (B-italic from Marco @ Novelli); Teal on right.

Also, my Teal "M" seems to write broader than my Purple "B", although I don't know if that is because of the fact the teal is just so much wetter than the purple due to the feeds?  The teal also seems to be much "softer" in the nib than the purple, but it looks like the purple has tipping on it while the teal does not.

Edited by StrawberryJam, 07 April 2015 - 14:53.

Current Wishlist:

#20 dms525

dms525

Antique

• 2,445 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2015 - 18:53

Both of my Ogiva Albas have a feed like the one on your Teal Ogiva. In fact, I have 13 OMAS pens - Paragons, Milords, 360's and Ogivas. All have the same type of feed. None are from before the 1990's, FWIW.

I would ask Marco for an explanation of the feed on your purple Ogiva Alba.  I have found him to be super responsive to emails. And please share what you learn. 

David

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: omas, omas ogiva alba, italic nibs, limited edition pens

Sponsored Content

|