Home Made Piston Removing Tool For The Mont Blanc 146

Nick13

Hello everybody,

I recently purchased a Mont Blanc 146 (pre-loved :)), everything seems to be working well, but the piston feels like it hasn't some silicone grease since it was bought (over 30 years ago). So I would like to get some silicone grease on the piston, but because of Mont Blanc's pretentious prongs, it is giving me a hard time. I am aware of the tools that you can buy off the Bay, but being the impatient person I am, I would like to see if I could make some kind of home-made device. I tried bending a paper clip to no avail. So, I was wondering if any of you lovely fountain pen enthusiasts had any luck with home made solutions and could point me in the right direction.

Thank you,

Nick

"It is much more interesting to live life not knowing, than having answers which might be wrong."

"Courage is grace under pressure" ~ Ernest Hemingway

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul80

• Pterodactylus

• vates

• hari317

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, home made solutions does work. :)

Please find my highly sophisticated Montblanc service tools below.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/1079/n7r7.jpg

Left:
Nib unit removing tool.
Already used it to unscrew successfully a 50s MB 144 nib unit.
Fortunately my wife did not noticed that I used one of her (old) forks :)

I used files and my dremel to make the 2 used fork tooth fit.

The electrical tape protects the nib not to be scratched.

Middle:

Piston removing tool to unscrew vintage telescopic pistons (also already used on the 50s MB 144)

Right:

Piston removing tool to unscrew a modern MB 146 (used to grease my 80s MB 146.

Used files to make the tooth fit.

But be careful, if you are not really careful you can damage or destroy your pen easily or at least scratch it !!!

Edited by Pterodactylus

Those look great!

I was wondering how you made the one on the right?

Also, when unscrewing the piston, is there a notch inside the notch to dislodge the piston, or are the notches just used to gain leverage?

Thank you so much, I am a newbie with Montblancs

Nick

"It is much more interesting to live life not knowing, than having answers which might be wrong."

The right one is quite easy.

Cut off part of a paper clip with side cutting pliers.

Bending the forks with a flat nose plier at 90 degree.

Use files to make the forks fit (the slots on the piston to unscrew are not round), smooth everything carefully to avoid scratches.

Bend it so it will fit into the slots, and just unscrew it, you can pull the complete piston unit out after it is unscrewed.

I tried it, and I got something that looks like that, it fits the slots, but my problem is that every time I go to turn the piston, the tension is so great that the paper clip starts bending with no reaction from the piston. Any Ideas?

Nick

Edited by Nick13

I tried it, and I got something that looks like that, it fits the slots, but my problem is that every time I go to turn the piston, the tension is so great that the paper clip starts bending with no reaction from the piston. Any Ideas?

Nick

Find a better paper clip?

I have one of those ebay tools and after some "adjusting" of the prongs have used it on numerous 146 and a few 149 pens. Note that some of the pens I've unscrewed the piston on quite easily and others I have had to apply considerable force to unscrew the piston (almost more than I was comfortable given the barrel is just plastic precious resin).

TWSBI 530/540/580/Mini, Montblanc 146, Pelikan M800, Tomoe River paper, Noodlers inks ... "these are a few of my favorite things"

True, how much force is needed is different, especially if the pen never was opened before, more force may be needed.

You could also try to hold your paper clip tool with a flat nose plier, close to the pen (both forks instead of your fingers) so it will be more stable.

You could also try to use gently heat (and I really mean gently, don't grill your pen) to ease the unscrew.

If this all does not help you have to look out for a more stable solution.

Either buy a tool for it, let MB service it, or I think you could try to create something similar to to my left tool out of a pastry fork, but this will cause some effort to make it really fit as there is not much space to insert it.

Hi all

Here are 3 Tools I knocked up to take the Piston out of my 146 & 149 and Nib Collars out of my 146, 147 and 149

All three took less than an hour to knock up and I used standard Brass stock sold by my local Model Rail (Railroad) shop.

One tool is to remove the Piston from the 146 & 149

One tool is to remover the Nib Collar from my 149 which has the lugs 180 deg apart.

One tool is to remove the Nib Collar from my 146 & 147 which have the lugs 120 deg apart.

They where all very quick and easy to make and only used hand tools and a blow lamp and solder to assemble the nib tool parts.

Hope they inspire you to make your own.

Paul

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l312/Paul-80/Pens/2014-01-01115636Copy_zps06b20acf.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l312/Paul-80/Pens/2014-01-01115613Copy_zpsd2cf8e34.jpg

Edited by Paul80

The only thing to watch out for, if I understand it correctly is that as far as the nib tool is concerned there are at least 4 variations and possibly up to 6 variations. I know of 4 but the 3 pens I own only use 2.

Of the ones I know of there is 146 & 149 size with lugs 180 deg apart and there are 146 & 149 size with the lugs 120 deg apart. I have read that there are 2 more but have never seen them so don't know for sure if they exist or how they differ.

But my tools are so easy to knock up, if I get a pen that is different I would soon be able knock one up to add to my tool collection.

Paul

Thank you all!

I tried to use a different paper clip, but still no luck. I will bite the bullet and wait to buy one from eBay. *me sad*

Thank you,

Nick

Don't buy any of the tools on ebay at the moment, they are all finishing for really stupid money often over £100 each, with his nib tools going for even more.

There are cheaper ready made options available including one version sold by a fellow forum member fountainbel who I think charges 65 euros for his version. There used to be a guy in Japan who used to charge £12 for his which was a double ended tool that also did Pelikan Pistons but he has not listed any for many months now.

Paul

There used to be a guy in Japan who used to charge £12 for his which was a double ended tool

A double ended tool makes sense to me. I often wondered why these sellers/manufacturers didn't make double ended tools - one end for nib removal, one end for piston removal? Like the typical double ended spanners we see everywhere.

Edited to attribute the opening italicised quote to Paul80 - I somehow messed up the Quote box facility?

Edited by CS388

i could get the nib out of my new pen with a paperclip adjusted with a pair of pliers in under 5 minutes, however with the piston i was not so lucky :(

Mind you, although I have made those two tool to get the nib out of my two, I did not actually need to use them as mine just unscrewed by wrapping the nib & feed in some tissue and gripping them with my thumb and for finger, they both unscrewed quite easily and one of them had been sealed with bathroom silicone as well and the other one still had the Montblanc Pink sealant on it..

Mind you mine are newer pens with plastic feeds, my method might not be quite so good if your pens have the more fragile ebonite feeds.

Paul

In my experience many of the 50s 3xx and 2xx pens screw out with the hand (might need some heat to help), but of course you have to be very careful not to damage the nib unit.

But it's safer to use a tool which uses the slots.

Here's mine

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/maxthedog/DSCF9268_zps5d1f4c14.jpg

Quite similar to Paul's. I made mine in about 30 to 40 mins. 15mins to cut it and the rest to shape it and smooth it out. Very easy to make. I eventually gave this one away to a fellow pen club member for free. It fits the 146 and 149. My second one includes the nib removal prong, which is smaller than the the piston removal section.

I use it to flush out my 146 and 149 all the time. Better than using the piston to suck up water and flush out. Gives me an opportunity to regrease the piston at the same time. I haven't used the nib removal section yet, as there is no need to at the moment.

Hi,

I been very successful taking a part my 146s and 149s using some watch tools or U shape screw drivers.

Tools left to right 1.2mm slotted watch screwdriver, 1.6 mm slotted watch screwdriver, watch pin remover and U shape screw driver

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy200/mikenycli/1_zps4b832478.jpg

Just place the tool of choice on angle into one of the notches and gently try to twist. It does help to place the pen in to a warm water bath before trying taking it apart. Seal the pen in a zip lock and place the back half of the pen in the water for a few minutes. To help prevent scratches I like to tape up the pen in areas where the tool might slip.

Be gentle when trying twist, especially on the resin parts they will crack. Once the section or piston dislodges, continue to remove the part by hand.

I like to use super lube synthetic grease for the piston. To seal up the section I use kitchen and bath silicone clear. For the section apply a thin layer of silicone at the bottom part of the section’s treading and continue all the way down to the lip of the section. For the piston apply a thin layer of silicone over the piston’s tread. Before attaching the section or the piston back to body make sure to use a q tip to clean grease out of the treads of the body or you will have leaks. Remember when closing up gently tighten, the silicone does a good job sealing up. Scrape the excess silicone with a business card and wipe any remaining residue. Allow two days for the silicone to dry before inking up.

The next time I take apart a 146 or 149 I will post the photos with better instructions.

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy200/mikenycli/2_zpsf35e45a0.jpghttp://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy200/mikenycli/6_zps6b25c5d5.jpg

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy200/mikenycli/3_zps20bd7fe6.jpghttp://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy200/mikenycli/4_zps575a8ac4.jpg

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy200/mikenycli/5_zps36198eeb.jpghttp://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy200/mikenycli/208d7741-cafa-4501-8bf7-60ea51bd7e10_zps81af23ca.jpg

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy200/mikenycli/0c696395-f940-4b55-866c-bc4bd5f2c1f5_zpsf67a3a61.jpg

Edited by mikenycli