Allan's Bibles Journal

Bigeddie

Several posts on FPN will get reactions from members telling them they will pray for them and keep them in their thoughts, I'm sure that even a small minority are very sincere about it and that that phrase will mean something for them..

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strombomboli

• The Good Captain

• torstar

• mirosc

Thanks for the review. I was planning on ordering one for my daughter for Christmas. I may need one for myself too :wub: Once I see hers I undoubtedly will have buyers regret for not putting two in the cart.

www.lettermatters.com

P.O. Box 196 Kingsburg, CA 93631

Thanks for the review. I was planning on ordering one for my daughter for Christmas. I may need one for myself too :wub: Once I see hers I undoubtedly will have buyers regret for not putting two in the cart.

www.lettermatters.com

P.O. Box 196 Kingsburg, CA 93631

Once I see hers I undoubtedly will have buyers regret for not putting two in the cart.

The good thing for you is that there are no shipping costs for you and delivery is quick with about 7-10 days.

No need for regret, just order another one :-)

Greetings,

Michael

• 6 months later...

An update after finishing the book in the review.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my use of the journal over the last 21 months, I have used a range of inks and pens none have any signs of bleeding through. The major constraint, as you might expect, is the line width. My pen of choice has varied over the time I have been using the journal. Particular picks have been a Pilot Custom 74 (fine), Sailor Tagayasan (fine), and most recently a Pelikan M400 with a Binder 0.4mm Stub nib.

My new journal is a Design.Y Record LP, and having used both papers side by side I can say that the Tomoe River paper in the Design.Y has more show through, but neither has any bleed. I have picked up a couple more of the Allans Bibles journals for use somewhere down the road. They are superb for journalling, very high quality, and excellent value for money.

Let me know how you get on with yours:)

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

I agree.....the Alan's journal is superb quality (Rather expensive though).

Intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

I'm using my Allan's Journal as a travel diary, and it has become one of the reasons why I'm looking forward to travelling. I am using all kinds of pens and inks, most have broad nibs, some are very wet writers. No problems with the paper at all, but with the line width, of course. I am writing on every other line now.

My journal is dark brown. I ordered a red one as a Christmas gift, but it arrived too late, so it will stay with me, and I think it's more beautiful than the other one! The red is neither too dark, nor too light, just perfect, and even the imprinted "Journal" doesn't bother, almost on the contrary, because red and gold are quite elegant in combination.

And the prize: I don't think at all that it's expensive, given what you get for the money. It has got 256 pages, whereas the usual Clairefontaine booklet only has 192, and still, it's thinner because of the incredibly good paper. I think, a Rhodia Webnotebook is more expensive than this leather-bound book with its gilded pages (plus the red colour beneath the gold! I have never seen this before).

Its format is just right (I am using the larger size), its high quality, i.e., the leather binding will never make it look old, and I'm sure it will never break. I couldn't ask for more, and I am very grateful to the forum without which I wouldn't have known that this journal exists.

Edited by Strombomboli

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

• 1 year later...

They changed their journals a bit:

Antique brown vintage goatskin (as used on 2013 'Commemorative' Bibles), semi yapp style, red under gold page edges, ribbon marker. 256 pages of 60gsm writing paper with 5mm navy blue feint lines.

NB. Note improved notepaper grammage - previously 50gsm - and wider lines (previously 4mm feint rule) in navy rather than cyan. No embossing on front cover.

Page size: 7 3/4" x 5 1/16" (200 x 130 mm)

Spine: 9/16"

Weight: 285g

http://www.bibles-direct.co.uk/products/view.php?id=313&c=34

Of course, I had to order one right away. I am anxious to see the effect of the thicker paper and will report as soon as I'll have my new journal in hand.

There is one smaller one with the same characteristics available, bound in green leather. Should look rather classy, unfortunately, it is too small for my fat handwriting

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

I skimmed thru the previous post but I am not 100% sure why these are called Bible Journals.

The paper?

Is this not just a lined journal? Or has it been baptized by holy spirt or something?

Edited by Zaphod_Beeblebrox

The manufacturer is renowned for producing bibles. And these journals were originally intended to be used for bible studies (bible and journal with same cover, paper,...). In fact they are nothing else than bibles without the text... If you ever had a bible in your hand you will recognize the style of these journals at once.

How could the manufacturer possibly guess that we intend to use them for mundane and secular scribblings? :-)

Greetings,

Michael

I asked if the price would be discounted as they wouldn't be paying for the "free" shipping, but was told that this wasn't possible however apparently I wouldn't leave unhappy. It seemed a strange thing to say, a little creepy, and I felt a little uncomfortable with it so passed up on the opportunity and my collection has never grown.

Well you know there's a certain leather bound Bible they only offer to the highest paying bidder at an annual auction in the dead of night... The one bound with human skin.

Duh duh duh daaaaaa

Hi everybody,

I have one question. Does it lay flat or mimic a Real Bible (in a way that one needs to contend with a significant 'hump' when writing near / towards the binding spine)?

Mine lie flat, no bulging, but they don't stay open on their own

That just made the Journal to be more interesting. Thank you for the insight mirosc.

I've just ordered the 'pocket' size one in Brunswick Green. As a birthday present to myself, delivered to 'she who must wrap everything, and has to pretend that it was her idea. And obeyed...'

I was going to stick with Moleskines...

...but that might have offended moles and a lot of other small, furry and discriminated-against mammals.

Goatskin leather - that's the way to go...

...and I reckon I just might have the ink in mind for those pages. Watch this space!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

delivered to 'she who must wrap everything, and has to pretend that it was her idea. And obeyed...'

Sounds so familiar :rolleyes:

Sounds so familiar :rolleyes:

Indeed.

The Good Captain

But I note that their website now has a slightly upped gsm of the paper weight, and that the line width/spacing is 5mm not 4mm. Something like that.

I like the idea of one of these notebooks as a birthday present is a good deal. The price is more that bigeddie mentioned though.

The Good Captain

The price rose quite dramatically. The large journal I ordered in December 2013 cost 29 ₤ flat, the goat skin one I ordered last Sunday costs 38 ₤ plus VAT for people living in the EU. The latter must be due to some regulations, but not the former.

29 ₤ was 34.43 € then, 38 ₤ is 50.85 € today. (The price difference, of course, is due to the actual exchange rate, which has changed quite a bit recently.) I still think, it's a good deal, because these journals are of the highest quality and they will survive me and who knows who else.

While devoting myself to fountain pens, I got a taste for quality. When I had bought a Rhodia Web notebook two years ago, I first didn't dare to write in it because of its supreme quality. In the meantime, I have gotten used to it. I cherish the Rhodia jotters which are relatively inexpensive, but are still very expensive compared to, e.g., the Clairefontaine Calligraph jotters, but they are much nicer. The same with Allan's Journals. Of course, I could use a hardcover book made in China which costs 5 € (3.74 ₤, 5.65 $), but I'd be annoyed at the paper quality every time I'd use it, while these journals are a joy every single time I just take them in my hands. So I'm good to myself. I guess, this is what I wanted to say.

Iris