Allan's Bibles Journal

Bigeddie

Oh Good Captain:........... what ink do "you have in mind?" I just might have to drop $50 bucks if it is anything like I suspect! And MAYBE more if I don't have the ink! But I always like to "see for myself, ya know?"

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strombomboli

• The Good Captain

• torstar

• mirosc

Oh Good Captain:........... what ink do "you have in mind?" I just might have to drop $50 bucks if it is anything like I suspect! And MAYBE more if I don't have the ink! But I always like to "see for myself, ya know?"

Hey Barkingpig - Im going to see it arrive in the post soon but not going to get the chance to ink it until March. BUT - if my thoughts on Moleskine inks and Bigeddie's examples are anything to go by, then I reckon it's going to be...

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

...watch this space.......................................................

.....(Aurora Haag!)......................................................

The Good Captain

Oh, what a sad day.... My new journals arrived in lightning speed, I especially like the new green one, but the paper! Oh, the paper. The paper is horrible.

Not only Baystate Blue and Kung te-cheng bleed through, but many other inks as well, not only Noodler's ones. Slight bleedthrough with Akkerman Shocking Blue, Diamine Onyx Black, even with Iroshizuku yu-yake.... J. Herbin Rose cyclamen mixed with a dash of Gris orage also bleeds through, while Éclat de saphir doesn't. That, at least, is good news, since this has become my go-to ink; but I got used to write in many colours recently; this won't be possible with this new paper.

I am very disappointed. Might as well have bought a Moleskine journal.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

Thanks for "taking one for the team". I was interested in these now that they were available without the "journal" embossing, but was concerned the change of paper would not be for the better...

I've e-mailed them to ask if they could send a sample shheet of the paper so I can try out some of my favourite inks. I'll call them tomorrow as well.

The Good Captain

I'll call them tomorrow as well.

I hope you'll have a good influence on them and get them to return to the wonderful former paper. I sent them an e-mail yesterday; hopefully, with combined forces, we'll succeed.

Edited by Strombomboli

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

I hope you'll have a good influence on them and get them to return to the wonderful former paper. I sent them an e-mail yesterday; hopefully, with combined forces, we'll succeed.

I received an e-mail response from Dominique, who is going to include a sample of the paper for testing. I did ask if any of the 'old' lighter-weight paper was still available but haven't heard back on that one.

As soon as they arrive, I'll try out some of my inks and get the results up here.

The Good Captain

E-mail confirmation of dispatch this morning, with a seven - ten day delivery. I presume the sample will be in the same order. I'll keep you informed.

The Good Captain

I was most pleasantly surprised to actually receive the package this morning as well! WOW! Having confirmed on the phone that the sample of paper they sent was the same as the one in the green pocket journal I bought - and is the 'new' stock - I can confirm the following.

I have tried 18 of my favourite and current inks in use, I can confirm that only ONE of them has shown any sign of bleeding through. And that, only slightly. I am impressed! I will carry on with the samples tomorrow and then scan and show the results.

The people at Allan's are fully aware of my initial tests and comments and are eagerly awaiting my examples and conclusions.

And so; until the morn.

The Good Captain

Thank you all for testing and investing money. I appreciate the feedback and information very much.

I really liked the old journals with the good paper. If there is indeed a change (for worse) I will refrain from ordering any more books - there's just enough other options out there. If they keep to be good I will just order more...

I'm really interested in the scans and more reports.

Again "Thank you" to all!

Edited by mirosc

Greetings,

Michael

I have tried 18 of my favourite and current inks in use, I can confirm that only ONE of them has shown any sign of bleeding through. And that, only slightly. I am impressed! I will carry on with the samples tomorrow and then scan and show the results.

So, then maybe the broad nibs I use are to blame.

I checked the old book in which I had written (quite a lot) to see if any of the inks I tested now had bled through, but they hadn't, and I had used the same broad nibs.

Here are the pictures of my ink test:

post-88889-0-97710400-1423001015_thumb.jpgpost-88889-0-07356500-1423001025_thumb.jpgpost-88889-0-32879400-1423001035.jpgpost-88889-0-36102800-1423001043.jpgpost-88889-0-86971700-1423001053.jpgpost-88889-0-50079800-1423001061.jpg

My conclusion is: avoid Noodler's inks on this paper. Be careful with most other inks. Tend to use only J. Herbin Éclat de saphir. Makes you seem more like a grown-up anyway.

Edited by Strombomboli

Iris

It seems I am unable to upload images at present. Perhaps a Mod would get in touch.

The Good Captain

The price rose quite dramatically

Oh no... our secret has been exposed to the world, they'll hike the price up to the moon now...

:huh:

Not sure how great the paper is, there is no way I'm putting any ink into my longprimer (at least intentionally)

Edited by torstar

No, no, no, don't write in your Longprimer! See here part of a mail I received from Allan's Bibles:

I’m sorry you don’t like this new paper. We changed because the paper we had been using was no longer available (please note that it has never been ‘Bible paper’; the last printing was a 50gsm) [my emphasis]. When the printer advised us that we would need to change papers, we asked them to improve the quality to a 60gsm paper.
Edited by Strombomboli

Iris

I still cannot upload the scans of my ink tests on this paper. I get the error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@fountainpennetwork.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

And an e-mail to the webmaster address just was bounced back. Any suggestions? The images I've been uploading for ages have never caused any problems.

Suffice it to say that I am more than happy with the new 60gsm paper in the Allan's journal I received. Well; to be truthful I used a sample that they sent me as the book itself is to be a birthday present! As soon as I can get the images up here I'll show you.

I would suggest that these notebooks/journals be treated as any other - try them out and use what is best for them rather than just assume that they will take your favourite inks etc. They are not marketed as 'fountain-pen friendly' so there's no reason to complain that one's favourite inks make the books unusable or whatever.

The Good Captain

Content deleted - the link to the image wasn't satisfactory. Sorry!

Edited by The Good Captain

The Good Captain

I would suggest that these notebooks/journals be treated as any other - try them out and use what is best for them rather than just assume that they will take your favourite inks etc. They are not marketed as 'fountain-pen friendly' so there's no reason to complain that one's favourite inks make the books unusable or whatever.

Yes, that's the way to do it. I very much hope, that you'll soon be able to upload your pictures! It would be nice, if it was just me who is having problems.

Iris