#1 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:31

This has become one of my favorites, but not because of the color. It's the shading characteristics that I really dig. :puddle:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 duende

duende

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:04

Wow, you own that flex in the title. Can you do one more scan please? As a lefty, I am flex-challenged, so I envy those who can take flex to its limits, particularly with such beautiful shading inks.

#3 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 13:46

My only beef, and this is from someone who just bought another bottle, is the dry feeling of this ink. Unless I put it in a 3B nib, it drives me nuts with the draggy feeling on the page.

I get a similar, but not as orangey performance with Herbin's Ambre de Birmanie, without getting as much drag. Ambre is a tad browner, but not as aggravating.

Still didn't keep me from buying another bottle. :embarrassed_smile:

#4 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,567 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 13:53

My sample is pretty wet as far as flow goes, but it's so pretty in flex pens that that's all I use it with outside of this review. :)

#5 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 14:22

I stopped using it in my B nibs and drier stubs or italics because of the drag. In an O3B or 3B nib, it's the biz! :thumbup:

#6 funkypeanut

funkypeanut

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 15:08

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: I feel serious lurve for this ink. In some pens there's that wonderful fiery effect, and it's consistent and well-behaved. I haven't had a problem with it feeling dry.

Edited by funkypeanut, 27 April 2012 - 15:10.

#7 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,401 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 16:53

Wow, great review, thanks. I just got a bottle of this and havene't inked it up yet, on schedule for Sat. I do see feathering in the "Brause 66ef" but dip pens lay down a lot of ink and that's not calligraphy paper.

#8 mrt77

mrt77

YEAH! Here comes Amos!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:17

This ink is beautiful. I really need to buy a sample of it. Kind of reminds me of Noodlers Habanero which I really, really love! :notworthy1:

#9 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,567 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:36

Habanero will be part of my next order. :D

I loved the flex pen "Apache", so here's a closer look.

Posted Image

:puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

#10 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:40

my fav orange! love that shading!
Lovemy51 Posted Image

pleese, forgeeve my bad espelling!! Posted Image

#11 whitelily

whitelily

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:44

Wow! That´s amazing shading.

#12 tdeecy

tdeecy

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 15:49

Nothing personal, but it's Garish! As in not attractive. Other than playing with it for the shading, (which has what use, again?) what would one use it for?

T.
Got a Kindle or other reader?
http://www.amazon.com/Money-Back-Short-Stories-ebook/dp/B006RNYVCW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1331937685&sr=8-5

#13 duende

duende

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 18:01

Nothing personal, but it's Garish! As in not attractive. Other than playing with it for the shading, (which has what use, again?) what would one use it for?

T.

Try writing "Freedom of Choice" with it and see how it turns out. We could say that fountain pens in general are unnecessary, but then we wouldn't be here, would we?

#14 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,220 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 18:43

While it's not my druthers for a normal ink color, I bought a sample of Apache Sunset just to play with. One thing I'm thinking of is maybe using it for mixing with something else -- e.g., something like Shah Rose -- to see if I can get a less expensive substitute for Iroshihzuku's Kosumusu (which has that pink shading to orange yumminess).
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth
"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#15 Oranges and Apples

Oranges and Apples

Vantage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 19:02

T.

I use it for my Noodler's Apache Sunset for:

Posted Image
Don't mess with the Kitty.

Posted Image

Edited by Oranges and Apples, 29 April 2012 - 19:02.

#16 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• 4,482 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 20:56

T.

Try writing "Freedom of Choice" with it and see how it turns out. We could say that fountain pens in general are unnecessary, but then we wouldn't be here, would we?

leave him alone! he is just a man who gets his hot sauce from Noo Yawk City... what does he know about the South West?

Lovemy51 Posted Image

pleese, forgeeve my bad espelling!! Posted Image

#17 CalvaryMaid

CalvaryMaid

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 22:35

I just tried a sample of Apache Sunset a few days ago and I love it. I love the shading and I think that the color is bright enough to be interesting, without being distracting (Dragon's Napalm makes my eyes hurt).
Posted Image
Posted Image
Now bridle your horse, cavalry maiden. Soon a furious battle will blaze. Brünnhilde must charge into battle, she must see the Volsung wins. Let Hunding decide where he belongs. I do not require him in Valhalla. So make ready and quickly ride into battle. - Wotan, Act II, Scene 1, Die Walkure

#18 duende

duende

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 00:22

T.

leave him alone! he is just a man who gets his hot sauce from Noo Yawk City... what does he know about the South West?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=i2dFWtciNtY

:ltcapd: That's it. Thread over, cowboys and cowgirls. *Duende gets on his horse and rides off into the (Apache) Sunset.*

#19 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,567 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 00:59

:ltcapd: That's it. Thread over, cowboys and cowgirls. *Duende gets on his horse and rides off into the (Apache) Sunset.*

See what you did there, haha.

#20 Fabienne

Fabienne

Et nunc, aliquid plene diversum!

• Member - Gold

• 1,973 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:20

Great review. I love Apache Sunset and also have not had any trouble whatsoever with it. A great ink.

monamonamonalil.jpg

#21 Ruminator

Ruminator

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:09

Y'all crack me up! Great review and an incredibly fun thread. I'm glad I decided to read this.

I love the shading in this ink. If I was still teaching, I'd use it to correct papers! :)

Thanks for the review!

-=d

#22 Ignatian

Ignatian

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:43

This is a fun ink, especially so because it's clear in the bottle. Does anyone have problems with drying times? I find that the ink smears even days later.....

#23 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,567 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 18:36

This is a fun ink, especially so because it's clear in the bottle. Does anyone have problems with drying times? I find that the ink smears even days later.....

I just checked my review page and tried to rub a few heavily-shaded words to see if they'd smear but I couldn't get anything to budge. But I will tell you that I did have to blot the Brause sample because it still was tacky after two hours of drying (gotta keep the scanner clean :) ). I just stuck a square of toilet paper over it and rubbed several times, which fixed it.

#24 Stompie

Stompie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,040 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 19:59

I just stuck a square of toilet paper over it and rubbed several times, which fixed it.

and that is why in my profile I state my favourite paper as: Toilet paper! (Bunch of of other reasons too BUT we won't go into that!)
Posted Image
Courtesy Prvt. Toter: Posted Image Posted Image

#25 reprieve

reprieve

And how does the sun even fit in the sky?

• Member - Gold

• 2,937 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 22:53

I love orange inks, and this shading is incredible. I wonder how it compares to Caran d'Ache Saffron.

#26 richiethepoet

richiethepoet

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:50

Habanero will be part of my next order. :D

I loved the flex pen "Apache", so here's a closer look.

Posted Image

:puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

So that's why it's called, 'sunset'
Words, when spoken, like birds, fly away.
That's why we write. Paper is the cage that keeps our words in place so we can see and appreciate them.
Pens are the nets we use to catch them. -Katie Grey

#27 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,590 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:38

Use...for the fun of it, like any orange* ink.

After all, what use is a green, pink, brown, purple,or turquoise ink but for the fun of it.

I'd ordered a bottle from Guelet on the night before I left to Virginia and it was there at 18:00 the next day.

I did not do a paper and nib survey with the ink, in I had only four pens with me. With my italic Joy, I got lots of shading, but with my easy full flex Degussa nib, it was just orange on Oxford Optic.

As soon as I get around to it, I'll give it a test on more nibs and papers.

* I have some late '80s-early '90s Pelikan Orange in cartridges. A real fine orange ink. I wonder why they didn't bring that back out as reissue. Up to then I was not a fan of orange inks. Now I am.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For that get a 'flexi' or a "flex" nib.

"

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#28 januaryman

januaryman

Clan Bruce

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2012 - 19:29

I have to agree with those complaining how dry this ink is. I have to drag my pen nib across the page and beg the ink to appear. maybe with a wet writer...
It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

#29 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,590 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:35

Every one complaining about the draggy feeling, never mentioned what papers it was draggy on.

Please mention the offending papers.
So I can avoid those papers.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 30 July 2012 - 10:37.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For that get a 'flexi' or a "flex" nib.

"

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#30 januaryman

januaryman

Clan Bruce

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2012 - 18:27

Every one complaining about the draggy feeling, never mentioned what papers it was draggy on.

Please mention the offending papers.
So I can avoid those papers.

Staples Bagasse, HP 28lb inkjet copier paper.
It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain