Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Inks With A "sheen"

• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

#1 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 22:00

I have a particular interest in and fondness for inks with a sheen. I have quite a few of them inked up at the moment, so I took some shots, and hope to add more in the future. All samples are shown on Staples Bagasse. Please keep in mind, these pictures were taken in order to show off the sheen property more than an accurate portrayal of the color itself.
Sailor Epinard, in a Monteverde Sleeping Beauty B:
Posted Image
Iroshizuku Yama-budo, in a Yafa Scenario M. Interestingly enough, use with this pen is the first time I ever noticed it has a sheen, and boy (!) did it show up in this picture!:
Posted Image
Sailor Sky High, in a Lamy Safari B:
Posted Image
Iroshizuku Aso-gao in a Lamy Safari 1.1:
Posted Image
Iroshizuku Momiji in a Lamy Nexx 1.1:
Posted Image
"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss
The Poor Connoisseurs

#2 fuchsiaprincess

fuchsiaprincess

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 22:20

Lovely! Thanks for sharing!

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 SinkOrSwim

SinkOrSwim

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 22:27

Is the sheen something that is easily noticed? Or do you have to tilt you head, close one eye, spin 'round in circles 5 times and howl at the moon...
lapsus calami

#4 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,633 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2011 - 22:35

private reserve dc supershow blue. I got a package with a letter in this ink, and it just sparkled at me. I had to get a bottle. Looks best on shiny CF or Rhodia paper. Not so great on matte surfaces like copy papers.

fpn_1405136194__fpn_1404594699__sg_tag.j sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#5 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 22:44

Is the sheen something that is easily noticed? Or do you have to tilt you head, close one eye, spin 'round in circles 5 times and howl at the moon...

It all depends on the pen and paper. Staples Bagasse is the best I've found for making it noticeable. Also, the wetter the pen, the better. Lighting plays a role. At night, at my writing desk, they are most obvious. Of the above, Asa-gao is the most subtle. If you've got the right factors, the sheen is right there, no magic sorcery needed, but if the variables aren't in your favor, you could miss it.

private reserve dc supershow blue. I got a package with a letter in this ink, and it just sparkled at me. I had to get a bottle. Looks best on shiny CF or Rhodia paper. Not so great on matte surfaces like copy papers.

I have Electric DC Blue, which I bought specifically for it's "sheen". It's okay, but the shade of blue doesn't do much for me, and I've had clogging/flow issues with it. I like Ebony Blue from PR better, and it still has the pretty red sheen. My favorite blue with a red sheen has to be Sky High.

It seems to me that cool colors are granted a 'red' sheen and warm colors get a golden one.
"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss
The Poor Connoisseurs

#6 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 22:45

Also, these photos aren't enhanced in any way- other than being shot in macro mode to begin with and being cropped.
The Poor Connoisseurs

#7 taranir

taranir

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:31

Thank you for posting this! The pictures show the shimmer beautifully, and I never knew that some Iroshizukus possessed this property as well!

#8 ttakacs

ttakacs

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:53

Sailor Jentle Blue.

#9 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:24

Be sure to put some J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite up for view - get it at the right angle, and the red changes to gold!
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#10 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:25

As per request, here is a shot of J. Herbin 1670:
Posted Image
The Poor Connoisseurs

#11 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:33

Iroshizuku Tsutsuji has it too:
(Lamy Safari M nib)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Poor Connoisseurs

#12 TemurAmir

TemurAmir

Yotta Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2011 - 17:45

I have noticed a very slight sheen while using Diamine Maroon with a Rotring Art Pen (2.3mm)at various times; it's not always there, however.

Edited by TemurAmir, 26 June 2011 - 17:46.

#13 Isabeau Gower

Isabeau Gower

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2011 - 18:50

Wow! I had no idea that Yama-budo could look like that. I had completely overlooked it before, but it's definitely going onto my inky wishlist now.
Thank you for the great pictures and the heads-up.

#14 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 3,002 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 19:00

Hey, Shaylen, just to check...

The photos of the Herbin followed by the Iroshizuki ink makes them look almost identical, but when I look at the swabs at Goulet, it is pretty definite that the Herbin is a red ink, and the Iro is a pink/fuchsia ink. In real life, to your eyes, are the samples you scanned this similar looking?
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#15 spiv

spiv

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2011 - 19:10

May I ask what paper you used for the herbin 1670 picture?

#16 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 3,002 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 19:46

sheenink.jpg

Had to be done. You know it.

~ Benjamin Franklin

#17 kushbaby

kushbaby

We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2011 - 20:45

Here's a really dumb question:

I always associated a sheen with the propensity of an ink to smudge/smear after it's dry (having to do with an extra layer of ink or something). I've seen it in a number of different inks when laid down really wet (e.g., when an eyedropper is almost out of ink), or when a pen has held ink for a while, so that it's probably a little more saturated/concentrated than what is in the bottle. When I have seen the sheen, inevitably it smears after dry (or never really dries) - so, although it's pretty, I had always seen it as a warning sign.

Do any of the writing samples you have where you show sheen smudge?

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

#18 bridgettt

bridgettt

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2011 - 21:50

Mine don't smear and I'm a lefty. I really don't see the sheen until the ink is dry anyway. Ones that I know don't smear for me are Yama Budo, Kin Mosukei, Yama Dori, and Oku Yama. I've never gotten 1670 or Tokiwa Matsu to give off the sheen effect although I've seen pictures so I'm sure it will happen one of these days. Some of the dark blues that have a red sheen are notoriously smudgy but that happens with or without the shimmer effect.
"The pen is the tongue of the mind." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra Don Quixote

#19 kushbaby

kushbaby

• Member - Gold

• 1,932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2011 - 23:39

I mean more smudge (later, well after writing) than smear. The dry written word is there on the paper, and then you put your hand on the paper for some reason and rub (say you're writing something at the top of the page, or editing something later), and there's a sort of haze of powdery looking color that spreads away from the written word (and gets on your hand, or clothes if in a pocket).

Does anyone know what I mean? PR Tanzanite does it all the time...

#20 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2011 - 00:07

I get this with Private Reserve Blue Suede as well.

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

#21 bridgettt

bridgettt

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:50

I mean more smudge (later, well after writing) than smear. The dry written word is there on the paper, and then you put your hand on the paper for some reason and rub (say you're writing something at the top of the page, or editing something later), and there's a sort of haze of powdery looking color that spreads away from the written word (and gets on your hand, or clothes if in a pocket).

Does anyone know what I mean? PR Tanzanite does it all the time...

I knew what you meant. Some (lots) of inks do that for me, just not the ones I named. I really don't have that problem with Sailor inks. Could be a combo of the paper I use and the Florida climate. Don't know.
"The pen is the tongue of the mind." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra Don Quixote

#22 kushbaby

kushbaby

• Member - Gold

• 1,932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:00

I knew what you meant. Some (lots) of inks do that for me, just not the ones I named. I really don't have that problem with Sailor inks. Could be a combo of the paper I use and the Florida climate. Don't know.

Sorry - I must have misread your original post. :embarrassed_smile:

Sounds like sheen is separate from smudge. It would make sense that it would be humidity related, of course... :hmm1:

#23 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 3,002 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:24

sheen
[sheen] –noun

1. luster; brightness; radiance.

Edited by JonSzanto, 27 June 2011 - 02:24.

~ Benjamin Franklin

#24 elena

elena

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:07

Visconti Blue has a lovely sheen to it as well. I, too like sheen. Another fav for me is DC Electric Blue, in a VP cursive italic nib.

#25 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:05

Hey, Shaylen, just to check...The photos of the Herbin followed by the Iroshizuki ink makes them look almost identical, but when I look at the swabs at Goulet, it is pretty definite that the Herbin is a red ink, and the Iro is a pink/fuchsia ink. In real life, to your eyes, are the samples you scanned this similar looking?

No, not at all. Tsutsuji is a bright pink, almost fuchsia. 1670 is a very saturated pretty true red.

May I ask what paper you used for the herbin 1670 picture?

That was Rhodia dotpad. Sorry for not mentioning that.

sheenink.jpg

Had to be done. You know it.

LOVE IT! These inks are obviously only for use by b*tchin rockstars from Mars.

I get this with Private Reserve Blue Suede as well.

Interesting! I have this ink, I'll have to try it out.

As for smudging/smearing.... I've not noticed it, but I'm not really someone who focuses on dry time or the propensity to smudge or smear...unless it is ridiculous. For what it's worth, I just ran my finger quite vigorously over the Tsutsuji samples, and it didn't smear.
The Poor Connoisseurs

#26 kushbaby

kushbaby

• Member - Gold

• 1,932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:21

As for smudging/smearing.... I've not noticed it, but I'm not really someone who focuses on dry time or the propensity to smudge or smear...unless it is ridiculous. For what it's worth, I just ran my finger quite vigorously over the Tsutsuji samples, and it didn't smear.

Thanks - that helps! It's just that I was traumatized by using PR Orange Crush in a very, very wet Eversharp Skyline, getting a sheen, and finding the notes I had taken all smudgy when going back to them the next day.

#27 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:38

To be honest, the pen doesn't have to be all that wet when using the Staples Bagasse. Those samples I did above... the dots were where I'd intentionally pooled the ink, but the writing is pretty much normal- perhaps done on the slow side for the sake of being legible and tidy.
The Poor Connoisseurs

#28 Gobblecup

Gobblecup

Autodidactic

• Member - Gold

• 1,766 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:17

Shaylen,

I always love your posts, you are always kind and happy to show us what you have! :notworthy1: :clap1:

This thread is very interesting, I really like inks with a sheen as well, they make writing with a FP just that much more deep and special.

Two more with quite noticeable Sheens are Emilio and Martin... :blush: :ltcapd: Sorry I had to keep that joke going... but I was going to say something serious. Pilot Blue and Sailor Grenade... I have bottles of both... if you don't, I would be happy to send you samples... PM me if you want to do a little trading. :thumbup:
Gobblecup ~

#29 mgutman

mgutman

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:25

Shaylen,
Sailor nano carbon black (pigment) has a very obvious and "crystalline" sheen. I imagine that the Platinum nano ink might be similar because it is a carbon pigment type also, but I have never tried it.

Nicely done ink comparison! :thumbup:

#30 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 17:29

Shaylen,I always love your posts, you are always kind and happy to show us what you have! :notworthy1: :clap1:This thread is very interesting, I really like inks with a sheen as well, they make writing with a FP just that much more deep and special.Two more with quite noticeable Sheens are Emilio and Martin... :blush: :ltcapd: Sorry I had to keep that joke going... but I was going to say something serious. Pilot Blue and Sailor Grenade... I have bottles of both... if you don't, I would be happy to send you samples... PM me if you want to do a little trading. :thumbup:

Aww shucks, :embarrassed_smile: thanks for the kind words! I will send a PM!

Shaylen,Sailor nano carbon black (pigment) has a very obvious and "crystalline" sheen. I imagine that the Platinum nano ink might be similar because it is a carbon pigment type also, but I have never tried it.Nicely done ink comparison! :thumbup:

If I understand correctly, the pigment inks cannot (or should not) be used in FP's...??? I'm not sure if this is true, or a "rumor".
The Poor Connoisseurs