Inks With A "sheen"

shaylenwilliams

I spilled some Iroshizuku Ku-jaku on a page of Staples Bagasse today and it formed a beautiful dark red sheen. : )

Though it's less pronounced and less shimmery than the Sailor Jentle inks, and probably not enough to show in normal writing.

Ah yes. I have a sample of Ku-jaku, and will be adding it to this thread once I ink it up again! :thumbup: I firmly believe that the shimmeriest ink I have ever used or seen is Sailor Sky High.

Hi, Shaylen,

I'm looking at the Jet Pens (jetpens.com - no affil) to order Sailor inks. I'm fascinated with "the sheens" now! I like Epinard and ultramarine. Is the Sailor Jentle Sky Blue the same as Sky High?

Thanks for any info!

I assume so, I have always called it Sky High, but I may be wrong. My bottle and box do not have any name in English, so I am not sure of the "official" name. I purchased mine from Goulet Pens, here http://www.gouletpens.com/Sailor_Jentle_Sky_High_p/slr-13-1000-241.htm

Thanks for the info! Goulet has the inks for cheaper, too, if I buy more than two inks. So many to choose from and so many with sheen! I will have a tough time narrowing down my choices.

Cheers!

p-

No problem. I am not affiliated with them, but I have bought from the Goulets many times, and they are absolutely fabulous to deal with. I can highly recommend Sky High, Epinard, and Ultra Marine. I don't have a bottle of Ultra Marine yet, but having gotten a sample of it with my last Goulet order, it is now on my wish list! The Sailor inks are well behaved, do not feather (generally speaking, I'm sure they could be MADE to do so), and have great flow and lubrication!

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaylenwilliams

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• attika89

I spilled some Iroshizuku Ku-jaku on a page of Staples Bagasse today and it formed a beautiful dark red sheen. : )

Though it's less pronounced and less shimmery than the Sailor Jentle inks, and probably not enough to show in normal writing.

Ah yes. I have a sample of Ku-jaku, and will be adding it to this thread once I ink it up again! :thumbup: I firmly believe that the shimmeriest ink I have ever used or seen is Sailor Sky High.

Hi, Shaylen,

I'm looking at the Jet Pens (jetpens.com - no affil) to order Sailor inks. I'm fascinated with "the sheens" now! I like Epinard and ultramarine. Is the Sailor Jentle Sky Blue the same as Sky High?

Thanks for any info!

I assume so, I have always called it Sky High, but I may be wrong. My bottle and box do not have any name in English, so I am not sure of the "official" name. I purchased mine from Goulet Pens, here http://www.gouletpen...13-1000-241.htm

Thanks for the info! Goulet has the inks for cheaper, too, if I buy more than two inks. So many to choose from and so many with sheen! I will have a tough time narrowing down my choices.

Cheers!

p-

If they have what I want, I go with JetPens over Goulet usually, but that's just my preference, based on no affiliation other than their good prices and being a happy customer. While the sailor inks do cost more initially, as you pointed out, if you buy two bottles, you still save with free shipping. But some of their prices are actually lower than many other retailers, like their Waterman and Herbin(?) inks.

Anyways, I just though I would chime in on that, sorry to diverge off topic, both retailers are really great though (Goulets and Jet Pens, that is). :thumbup:

Gobblecup ~

Gobblecup - thanks for the places to shop! I'll have to see how many inks I actually end up buying and then compare.

My current favorite ink is Iroshizuku's Ku-jaku. It has a reddish sheen to it that I didn't even know was there until I read this thread.

So...I had to try the Shin-ryoku (green color) that I had, and pleasantly discovered that there is a red sheen to that one as well! Having a sheen makes the shading stand out so much more than other inks.

Sheen inks have ruined me for the non-sheen inks that I have. Now, I am afraid that having a sheen will be a requirement for all future ink purchases! What to do???

Two more thoughts:

I think the shin-ryoku will make a great ink for Christmas cards with the green and subtle red!

Also, are there any brown inks out there with a sheen?

Gobblecup - thanks for the places to shop! I'll have to see how many inks I actually end up buying and then compare.

My current favorite ink is Iroshizuku's Ku-jaku. It has a reddish sheen to it that I didn't even know was there until I read this thread.

So...I had to try the Shin-ryoku (green color) that I had, and pleasantly discovered that there is a red sheen to that one as well! Having a sheen makes the shading stand out so much more than other inks.

Sheen inks have ruined me for the non-sheen inks that I have. Now, I am afraid that having a sheen will be a requirement for all future ink purchases! What to do???

By the way, a funny post came up just after I posted here... jet pens price increase. I really hope this doesn't expand to other dealers in the US... Is it time for a mad dash and grab? :unsure:

Gobblecup ~

i just found out that isellpens.com is having a closeout sale on the sailor jentle inks mentioned in this thread - only $8 for a 50ml bottle! (sorry, i don't know how to link to the announcement on the marketwatch section of this forum.)

let the ink stampede begin!

i just found out that isellpens.com is having a closeout sale on the sailor jentle inks mentioned in this thread - only $8 for a 50ml bottle! (sorry, i don't know how to link to the announcement on the marketwatch section of this forum.)

I don't believe they would disappear in only an hour, but I can't find them on the site! :headsmack: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :bonk: :bonk:

Edited by Gobblecup

Gobblecup ~

I don't believe they would disappear in only an hour, but I can't find them on the site! :headsmack: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :bonk: :bonk:

I forgot to add: you need to go to the CLOSEOUT section. It's a link listed on the left side of the page. Happy hunting!

p-

There always seems to be GREAT deals when I DON'T have ANY money whatsoever. :glare:

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

how shimmery/sheen-y would you say the sailor ultramarine is? I have some of those eco-friendly legal pads from staples and a sample of the ultramarine inked up in my M Lamy but when I tried it out, I couldn't get a sheen if my life depended on it. :crybaby: Does it have to be super duper wet? Any tips?

Shaylen, you should check that ultra marine. It looks like you may have a tenth of a troy ounce of gold there!

ps) I don't see any sheen with the Blue Nose...only massive feathering on the Staples eco sugar cane that normally shows the sheen so well.

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

The eco-friendly paper tends to vary in quality/texture, though it might not be noticeable if you're not specifically looking for the sheen/shimmer. I have several of the sugarcane paper notebooks, bought from the same Staples. I bought one which showed amazing shimmer, so two days later I went back and got eight more. But inexplicably, only a few out of that 8 show shimmer, while the rest do not.

Edited by taranir

how shimmery/sheen-y would you say the sailor ultramarine is? I have some of those eco-friendly legal pads from staples and a sample of the ultramarine inked up in my M Lamy but when I tried it out, I couldn't get a sheen if my life depended on it. :crybaby: Does it have to be super duper wet? Any tips?

It isn't super obvious, not nearly as much as Sky High... but my Lamy Nexx seems to write wetter than the Safaris do. I used it on some CF Triomphe today and you couldn't see it at all.

The Poor Connoisseurs

Shaylen, you should check that ultra marine. It looks like you may have a tenth of a troy ounce of gold there!

ps) I don't see any sheen with the Blue Nose...only massive feathering on the Staples eco sugar cane that normally shows the sheen so well.

Yeah it feathers like crazy. Even on Triomphe... it isn't an ink I would purchase, but I am glad I got to try it out. I'll stick with Syo-ro.

The Poor Connoisseurs

• 1 month later...

If the paper is white, the photos should be corrected for the white balance: all of the pictures shown are yellowish and the colors are as result inaccurate.

Proper white balance is the key for good pictures (unless artistic).

If the paper is white, the photos should be corrected for the white balance: all of the pictures shown are yellowish and the colors are as result inaccurate.

Proper white balance is the key for good pictures (unless artistic).

I've stated several times that these photos are taken under certain conditions and left un-altered on purpose to show the sheen of the ink. The purpose is not to showoff a correct color of the ink, but to highlight the metallic sheen property of it.

The Poor Connoisseurs

@ Shaylen... thank you, not only for catching the magic that is SHEEN, but for your new icon (elevate your upper limbs) :roflmho:

I do appreciate the hard work that goes into you constructing my ink wish list.

@ Shaylen... thank you, not only for catching the magic that is SHEEN, but for your new icon (elevate your upper limbs) :roflmho:

I do appreciate the hard work that goes into you constructing my ink wish list.

Aww shucks, thanks! I got it at memegenerator.net (head up, there's some very offensive, but usually funny stuff there)

There are sheens I can't even see in good lighting, but for some reason my macro picks them up really well at night in not-so-perfect lighting... so it helps to prove or disprove their presence. If it shows up in the picture, I leave it alone, aside from some cropping. You wouldn't want to white-balance a picture where you caught a ghost on film would you? LOL- some sheens are that illusive! ;-)

The Poor Connoisseurs