Pilot Custom 823

Siv

Well I took a pair of pliers to the most expensive pen I own today. Here's the result...

Has anyone else tried this? Given that it's a clear pen, it's not that much of a challenge as you can see which bits are threaded and unscrew. The bit I came stuck with is the cap - has anyone managed to disassemble the cap?

post-17253-1222919534_thumb.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Siv

• RevAaron

• enricof

• TREBFPN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, that takes courage! Thanks for posting the great photo - that is a wonderful reference for any of us that need to get in there to fix something.

Please do let us know how the reassembly goes - any challenges that arise!

It's really great that the section unscrews to permit a more thorough flushing - I hope I never have to take things further than that!

SfA2F91.jpg

Hi,

I think the caps on カスタム pens come apart when you unscrew the top black piece.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Could you please pretty please give us a quick guide as to how you did that? I would be very appreciative of that.

Everyman, I will go with thee

and be thy guide,

In thy most need to go

by thy side.

-Knowledge

Could you please pretty please give us a quick guide as to how you did that? I would be very appreciative of that.

Actually, the only time I used the pliers was to remove the plunger bit. When you unscrew the plunger and pull it out, you can see that there are two flat bits on the threaded piece. I just gripped this with my pliers and unscrewed normally.

The nib and feed just pull out - grab them firmly and pull straight out. The section unscrews and is finger tight so you can unscrew this easily. Actually if you unscrew the section a little, it may be easier to pull out the nib and feed.

Finally, there is a black threaded plug that the section screws in to. This is easy to unscrew, also by hand...

Edit: I tried to unscrew the black bit at the end of the cap and it turns but doesn't unscrew. I think it may be a push fit... anyone have any insight?

Edited by Siv

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Siv, why did you want to disassemble your beautiful and expensive pen?

'cause I want to get the metal bits Rhodinated

I got no beef with disassembling beautiful pens- the only truly beautiful pen worth the extra expense is one you can field strip. :D

Siv, I noticed the same thing on the 823 I bought from you. It's something I've seen on a lot of piston fillers, and how I've taken the piston out them, mostly some vintage Kawecos. Never occured to me to try it on the 823, though I suppose that was beacuse it was on loan originally. "Here, sir, is your pen back... In parts!"

Aaron

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

• 8 months later...

Considering doing the same on a black or clear 823.

Have you been able to do it?

Where can it be done (pen master, jeweler)?

Is it necessary to remove the trim rings to do it?

Thanks

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

Don't over tighten when reassembling. I have one in the shop now that had developed stress cracks at both ends.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Don't over tighten when reassembling. I have one in the shop now that had developed stress cracks at both ends.

Thanks Ron for the tip.

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

Considering doing the same on a black or clear 823.

Have you been able to do it?

Where can it be done (pen master, jeweler)?

Is it necessary to remove the trim rings to do it?

Thanks

I didn't manage to do it because I couldn't take the trim rings off the cap. I didn't want to apply too much pressure on the bits as they are plastic so until I can find a way to get the trim off the cap, the pen is going to remain gold!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Edit: I tried to unscrew the black bit at the end of the cap and it turns but doesn't unscrew. I think it may be a push fit... anyone have any insight?

Okay, six years later but maybe this will help give someone a lead on disassembly:

The 823 cap looks to be the same construction as my Custom 98 cap, and I've been able to remove the inner cap on the Custom 98 with a 1/4" socket driver (using its ~1/4" square head sans socket). The clip and trim ring do remain attached to the finial, but once the inner cap is removed, that clip-trim ring-finial assembly detaches from the cap.

-- Constance

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, six years later but maybe this will help give someone a lead on disassembly:

The 823 cap looks to be the same construction as my Custom 98 cap, and I've been able to remove the inner cap on the Custom 98 with a 1/4" socket driver (using its ~1/4" square head sans socket). The clip and trim ring do remain attached to the finial, but once the inner cap is removed, that clip-trim ring-finial assembly detaches from the cap.

-- Constance

Maybe the one dimensional lighting from a pocket flashlight is hiding it, but I cannot see anything inside the 823 cap that a socket driver would fit onto.

BTW, thanks for resurrecting this thread. This is interesting and useful knowledge.

• 4 months later...

Hi. Any new information? I happen to have fallen on the same trail. I would love if that black cap were clear. I wonder if the Pilot 823 clone, a TWSBI VAC700's parts could be used to modify the Pilot 823? Anyway, first, the cap. Since the the two pens are the same construction - this video shows how to disassemble the VAC700 cap,

Edited by TREBFPN