J Herbin Rouge Grenat

yazeh

J Herbin Rouge Grenat  (Garnet Red)

I made a mistake between the words Grenade and Grenat (Pomegranate vs Garnet).  You'll see a lot of pomegranates in my sketches,.Typical me. Sorry for the confusion.  I corrected it, thanks to @Lithium466.  

I decided to put back the photo: It's kind of cool :) and the garnets resemble the pomegranate seeds ;)

Rouge Grenat

As much as I love the colour in real life, it does not sing to me. Maybe I don’t like red inks and that is it.  :(

Let's start with the chroma:

large.Chroma-RougeGrenat.jpeg.0fbaed0180076679ebd4b8e2ce54f76e.jpeg

Writing samples:

large.Rhodia-HerbinRougeGrenat.jpeg.1ab7752bac5565cf9f4d1d837e5e66f3.jpeglarge.Midori-RougeGrenat.jpeg.7b3fc169f240faa0932b2db2e6294cfb.jpeglarge.Tr68gr-RougeGrenat.jpeg.ebb278ca31e4217621590483741c3ff0.jpeg

As you can see there's a bit of ghost & blood with Hammermill

large.Hammermill-HerbinRougeGrenat.jpg.fda1f052cb931c6e7c49ac8a3167fd98.jpg

Photo (Tomoe River Paper)

large.RougeGrenatPhoto.jpg.f8473b5c0b21fbc0a4b5f32a2ed37337.jpg

Comparison:

large.Comparison-RougeGrenat.jpeg.f7c8d92490e478929d6e0d6dd687dcea.jpeg

Water test (After 24 hours)

large.Watertest-RougeGrenat.jpeg.38f1851029c59d6f920fbbebbe5ec2e4.jpeg

And finally an artwork, not my best, but it's to showcase the range of the ink. 

pomegranate_by_yazeh1_dgay8q9-pre.jpg?to

and a more humorous one for Inktober 2023 (Dodge)

Octopus Fox Grey / Noodler's Bad Green Gator

dodge_2_by_yazeh1_dgb4eqt-pre.jpg?token=

· Pens used: Pilot Kakuno Ef, Stub, Kaweco Sport (EF/F/M/B), Osmiroid Copperplate nib

· What I liked: Really nice with wider nibs, a pleasure to write with. 

· What I did not like: I thought this would be my colour but alas it isn’t. I'm looking forward to emptying my pens. 

· Shading: Yes

· Ghosting: Yes, on thin copy paper

· Bleed through: Same as above. 

· Flow Rate: Nice.  

· Lubrication: Good, but finer the nib, scratchy it’ll be.  

· Nib Dry-out: Not noticed. 

· Start-up: Not noticed.

· Saturation: Yes.

· Shading Potential: With wider nibs.

· Sheen: No. 

· Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: No

· Nib Creep / “Crud”: No. 

· Staining (pen): It can stain your transparent section. 

· Clogging: No. 

· Cleaning: Not bad for a red ink. 

· Water resistance: Not bad after 10 seconds under running water.

· Availability: 30ml/ 10ml Bottle/6-Pack Cartridges

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier  :)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• LizEF

• lapis

• Lithium466

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for that review! I have been curious about this ink and you just saved me some $ :)

Is it Herbin that came up with the translation as pomegranate red?

34 minutes ago, Lithium466 said:

Thank you for that review! I have been curious about this ink and you just saved me some $ :)

Glad I was of help 🙏🙂

34 minutes ago, Lithium466 said:

Is it Herbin that came up with the translation as pomegranate red?

Nope. I did. Though there's a drawing of pomegranate on the bottle :)

Thanks again for one (of your very many) objective plus subjective contributions. I love the heck out of the juice itself (yes, that stuff to drink, as expensive as it is) -- and I do find the colour of my age-old bottle of the ink not bad at all as a rep of the real McCoy -- but as a red ink (like most red inks) I'm somehow just not all that hot about it. 🍓

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

12 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Glad I was of help 🙏🙂

Nope. I did. Though there's a drawing of pomegranate on the bottle :)

I always though that was garnet stones?

Actually, the French word grenat means garnet (which is also  -- at least almost always -- red). Pomegranate comes in as grenade.

13 minutes ago, Lithium466 said:

I always though that was garnet stones?

You're right. I often seem to get confused with words which resemble each other. I corrected it thanks! :)

21 minutes ago, lapis said:

Thanks again for one (of your very many) objective plus subjective contributions. I love the heck out of the juice itself (yes, that stuff to drink, as expensive as it is) -- and I do find the colour of my age-old bottle of the ink not bad at all as a rep of the real McCoy -- but as a red ink (like most red inks) I'm somehow just not all that hot about it. 🍓

Yep. I love pomegranate juice too :) But it seems that Red and me is a colour not to be seen :D

16 minutes ago, lapis said:

Actually, the French word grenat means garnet (which is also  -- at least almost always -- red). Pomegranate comes in as grenade.

You and @Lithium466 are both right. I guess I subconsciously wanted it to be named after the fruit, than the stone ;)

Yup, the fruit tastes better (even with its own stones in it).  😁

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

You're right. I often seem to get confused with words which resemble each other. I corrected it thanks! :)

Oh no, you should have kept the picture with pomegranate!

Thank you, @yazeh!  Great review, as always. :)  I think I like this color, though I don't know that it "sings" to me, I still suspect I would enjoy it.  Love the drawings - even the one on the swatch card - kitty planning his fruit-attack... :) Love the kitty-pushing-something-off-the-edge artwork - very true to life, that one. ;)  Clever mousey with his super-strength umbrella! :D 

@yazeh Thanks as usual for the stellar review, and the fun drawings.  This is one I'd have to see in person, since I tend to not like darker reds (but am occasionally surprised -- I liked Robert Oster Astorquiza Rot more than I expected to).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 hour ago, Lithium466 said:

Oh no, you should have kept the picture with pomegranate!

I'll put it back, no worries🙂

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Thank you, @yazeh!  Great review, as always. :) 

🙏

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

I think I like this color, though I don't know that it "sings" to me, I still suspect I would enjoy it. 

Singing is when you're tempted to get a bottle 😁

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Love the drawings - even the one on the swatch card - kitty planning his fruit-attack... :) Love the kitty-pushing-something-off-the-edge artwork - very true to life, that one. ;)  Clever mousey with his super-strength umbrella!

Glad you like my attempts. Isn't that true with cats. Ours loves throwing kiwis on the ground 😹

41 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

@yazeh Thanks as usual for the stellar review, and the fun drawings.  

🙏

41 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

This is one I'd have to see in person, since I tend to not like darker reds (but am occasionally surprised -- I liked Robert Oster Astorquiza Rot more than I expected to).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Yeah, I really goet that. There are some colors one needs to see in person, even better, ideal would be writing with them 🙂

53 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Ours loves throwing kiwis on the ground 😹

:lol: Klaw is surprisingly well-behaved in this manner.  He seems to instinctively know what things are "safe" to knock off the counter and what things he ought not to touch. :wub:

Bad cat, bad cat! 😸🙀

Thank you, @yazeh, for taking the time and effort to make such a comprehensive review of an ink you do not like so much!

I have this ink in use since some years, loving it at some times and hating it's low surface tension soon after use. It is limiting the nib sizes to EF and F (that are leaning to the EF side), reducing my options.

If the ink should represent the fruit or the stone may be left to individual imagination. I also prefer to see the fruit in this colour. :) 

One life!

13 hours ago, lapis said:

Yup, the fruit tastes better (even with its own stones in it).  😁

Indeed. You can even juice it in the fruit, if it is fresh and the skin malleable. It's  very meditative. You carefully crush seed after seed through the skin and soon you'll have a fruit full of juice you can the bite the skin and suck the nice out or just squeeze it in a glass :)

9 hours ago, LizEF said:

:lol: Klaw is surprisingly well-behaved in this manner.  He seems to instinctively know what things are "safe" to knock off the counter and what things he ought not to touch. :wub:

Oh her majesty has no right to be on any counter. These were on a low coffee table which she could reach easily and being a polydactyl cat, she is much more dexterous than the other cats :D

3 hours ago, InesF said:

Bad cat, bad cat! 😸🙀

😺

3 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you, @yazeh, for taking the time and effort to make such a comprehensive review of an ink you do not like so much!

Most welcome :D 🙏

3 hours ago, InesF said:

I have this ink in use since some years, loving it at some times and hating it's low surface tension soon after use. It is limiting the nib sizes to EF and F (that are leaning to the EF side), reducing my options.

Yup. And since I know it's garnet all my love has fled ;)

3 hours ago, InesF said:

If the ink should represent the fruit or the stone may be left to individual imagination. I also prefer to see the fruit in this colour. :) 

Me too :)