Your Perfect Edc Ballpoints

I like a Parker Jotter. They are hard to beat. I also have a couple of Cross centurys that dont get used much. I keep a spacepen in my Leatherman pouch and sometimes tuck it into my pack or something out in the woods.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bemon

• Estycollector

• pajaro

• NumberSix

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I continue to enjoy the brass threaded Jotter and 45 ball points with gel refills. These finally end my search for a decent writing roller ball type that looks good in the pocket.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I carry a matte black fisher bullet space pen with an optional clip for non work days and a vintage Zippo silver plated ballpoint for work-it’s a twist type that will use a Cross refill. The finish is toast, so I don’t care if it gets dinged but I like the feel and durability of it.

Secundum Artem

I carry a matte black fisher bullet space pen with an optional clip for non work days and a vintage Zippo silver plated ballpoint for work-it’s a twist type that will use a Cross refill. The finish is toast, so I don’t care if it gets dinged but I like the feel and durability of it.

Sometimes I like a beat up pen. Most I'll be mindful with, but my Space Pen, one of my L2Ks and my Karas Kustoms Ink are made for banging around.

Sometimes I like a beat up pen. Most I'll be mindful with, but my Space Pen, one of my L2Ks and my Karas Kustoms Ink are made for banging around.

My poor Lamy Al Star has a few battles scars from falling out of my shirt. It always falls on concert or asphalt. It's one of my favorite pens. I usually sands off the hard edges with 0000 steel wool. Yes, a bit of paint is gone, but it's smooth again. There is no way a plastic pen, vintage or new would survive as well.

My poor Lamy Al Star has a few battles scars from falling out of my shirt. It always falls on concert or asphalt. It's one of my favorite pens. I usually sands off the hard edges with 0000 steel wool. Yes, a bit of paint is gone, but it's smooth again. There is no way a plastic pen, vintage or new would survive as well.

I don’t mind if the paint is gone on a hard working pen. Shows that it’s been around the block a few times. I like a steel pen too for my EDC pocket carry. Not only does it encounter my keys if it’s not in a pouch, but I’m not sure a plastic pen could deal with all the flexing.

I did carry a Kaweco sport in my pocket for a little while without any major issues other than a few minor leaks that were contained in the cap. I sold it years ago but if I were to get another I’d still probably go steel.

I'm not a big ballpoint fan, but my EDC pen is either a CROSS CENTURY II or a CROSS TOWNSEND rollerball.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed ..."

• 2 weeks later...

I love classy ball points as well as fountain pens. I'm never without a pocket note book and my favorite bp, an olive green Jotter to compliment my olive green Parker 45. I just love the color!!

I'm very fond of olive green pens myself, and I have the same jotter/45 combo. :) I like the look and weight and click-action of the jotter, but it's not my EDC for a couple of reasons: the clip broke and fell off, and jotters are just a bit too thin for me to grip properly for extended periods. It sits at home, incomplete, ready for jotting emergencies. I tell myself it's wabi-sabi.

What I have for carrying is a Ballograf Epoca P. Wider barrel for my janky fingers and writes just fine. I don't know a Schmidt Easyflow from Adam but the Ballograf cartridge is a worthy competitor to Quinkflow, in my opinion. Slightly better, even. I have the bright green version but might replace it with the just-noticed khaki green, which is a very acceptable substitute for olive.

I had an Uni Style-Fit 3-way, with black Jetstream (very nice) and pencil components, my compact note-taking-and-sketching kit. A victim of mysterious 'fell from my pocket and vanished' circumstances. I've considered replacing it but the cheapish look and slightly loose 'clip as a push-button' mechanism makes me think a separate pen and pencil aren't that much of an extra burden.

As to the Ballografs being the "Swedish Bic" among "normal" people in Sweden (i.e, that kind that does not hang around internet forums discussing pens, and who would faint at the sight of the price tag of a Lamy 2000), the Ballografs are probably considered "nice" pens, definitely one step above a lowly Bic M10.

I worry about carrying an FP as an EDC - I know some guys at work who'd probably see the Epoca as an extravagance! Edited by WarrenB

31182132197_f921f7062d.jpg

- TiArto EDC: robust and refill compatibility

- Zebra X701: grip thickness

- TiScribe Bolt: robust and discrete

- Boker KID cal .50: robust and grip thickness

I have a very nice Mont Blanc ballpoint that I've had for years... but .... my edc is a blue stripe Pelikan K800. It's part of my 800 blue striped set. (M, R, and D) It's a beautiful pen that writes great. (I currently have a monteverde gel ink refill in it)

I have a very nice Mont Blanc ballpoint that I've had for years... but .... my edc is a blue stripe Pelikan K800. It's part of my 800 blue striped set. (M, R, and D) It's a beautiful pen that writes great. (I currently have a monteverde gel ink refill in it)

I find it a great feature of Pelikan (and sone other major brands) ballpoints that the majority of models use a standard (Parker-type) refill, which allows for a comparatively excellent selection of colors and ink types for use in the pen. Proprietary refills are a bit of a minus in my book.

Edited by N1003U

I miss that about the Pelikan K400 I used to carry. I prefer the look and feel of my Lamy 2000 steel ballpoint, but I'm locked into their proprietary refill type.

My K400 was a blue stripe also. A little on the small side, but I like a ballpoint that clicks rather than twists so until I lost it that was my go-to EDC work ballpoint. I'd like another, but it's a lot of money for a pen that may only get used a few times a week. So my L2K does the trick. I do wish it would take a gel refill though from time to time.

Anyway, I lost the K400 and it just seems like so much money to order a replacement for something that get so much less use than a fountain pne.

If I didn't have my AG-11 (I forgot it at home one morning) I decided that I like my sailor pro gear multipen (black, blue, red ballpoint, 0.5mm pencil) would be my everyday user. It's really, really good, I just prefer the feel of raw brass.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I had sent my grand daughter a Lamy Vista Rollerball when she returned to college this past Fall and decided to quiz her to give me some feedback from her experiences. She said it was "amazing".

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2020 at 9:39 AM, teeritz said:

Ballograf Epoca. Sweden's answer to BIC. Got these disposable pens in a few different colours, although I think these are too nice to throw away once empty. You could, I suppose, modify a Parker refill to fit these pens. This pen sits in a little porcelain cup on my desk, along with a few pencils and a Lamy Safari fountain pen. This is the pen I grab when I'm in a hurry.

The Ballograf Epoca (and the Rondo) is refillable (not disposable) and very reliable. In my opinion very good affordable pens that are underrated.  As good as pens like the Parker Jotter bp or the Caran d Ache 849 bp.

Cross Classic Century, ICO retro 70 , Never Nordic White is my usual goto EDC, Oh and the customizable multi-pen from Pilot / Pentel / Mitsubishi Uni , can't beat them for that. But the Zebra Blen is looking like dethroning them all , unlike fountain pen, any ballpoint's writing had to do with the refill and the pen itself is just the platform to carry it, but there's the ergonomic, and the Japanese been doing that way better than most others.

Montblanc 164 black and Montblanc 164R red.  The small Meisterstucks that go with the 144 fountain pens.  I've used these for about 35 years.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

This early 1960s Parker 45 with matching pencil that I picked up recently. Hardwearing, functional and, to my mind, quite stylish.

45s.thumb.jpg.adf968708392d5f96b154aeea245e123.jpg

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.