What Pens Are You Using Today 2020

PenBuyer1796

Word.

... inking up pens with abandon. I feel much better now.:-).

Inking with abandon...the way to do it! And we have to find our therapy where we can. I hope your brother remains safe.

And @inkstainedruth....I know 54 g is crazy. I can't believe it actually works for me.

edit/update: I'd assumed the gold/black and rhodium/black Varius weighed the same, but I just checked and the black/rhodium is actually 57g (barrel + cap), not 54 like the gold. Barrel = 39.7g and cap = 17.2g. They are the same generation of Varius, and are identical in every respect other than plating, so I can only guess that the difference is due the weights of different plating material used (or?). And that makes it tied for the 2nd heaviest of my pens (tied with a Dupont atélier). In case anyone is interested in heavier pens and would benefit from the cross-brand comparison, below are the details for the CdA Varius vs. Dupont atélier. The measurements are my own, so if if they are off, apologies. I'm least confident in the diameters because the very cheap digital calipers I use sometimes behave wonkily and also because I am doing my best to prevent the metal edge of the calipers from scratching the pens.

Varius:

• Weight: 57g barrel + cap; 39.7g barrel; 17.2g cap
  • Length: 136mm capped; 128mm uncapped; 170 posted (but I don't post)
  • Diameters: 8.2-8.7mm (section); 12mm (barrel)

Atélier (purple):

• Weight: 57.2g c+b; 40.6g b; 17.3g c
  • Length: 145mm capped; 134mm uncapped; I don't post
  • Diameters: 9.6-11.4mm (section); 12.8mm (barrel)

The only heavier pen is a Dupont Phoenix Renaissance, which I weighed at 67.8g, including its 27.7g cap). The

Tsuya kusa is one of the few pilots I haven't yet tried. I have been low-grade curious but some other ink always swayed my attention. But maybe its time to give it a chance.

Edited by seimodern

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• Helen350

• inkstainedruth

• NumberSix

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Platinum Curidas

Any impressions to share about that Curidas?

I've thought about getting one, but with a couple of Vanishing Points and Capless Decimos, another retractable is not high on the list. Still curious, though.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Parker 51 Special (14k F): Lamy Black

Noodler's Neponset (Edison M): Namiki Blue

I have other pens inked up, but these two are my primary drivers today.

Any impressions to share about that Curidas?

I've thought about getting one, but with a couple of Vanishing Points and Capless Decimos, another retractable is not high on the list. Still curious, though.

I have a Curidas and find the bulge near the tip of the pen that allow for the protective flap/window for the nib to open/close gets in the way of my finger. At first I thought it was OK but soon enough, I found it did get in the way. Of course, the mileage varies. The nib was OK. Not great, but OK.

I used my late wife's school pen, a Parker Duofold, to write a cheque for my housekeeper earlier today. My Conway Stewart 479 is what I am using now.

@ParamattaPaul--I'm sorry to hear that your wife is no longer with you. Sounds like she had great tastes in pens--must have been wonderful to share an appreciation for writing instruments. (My own partner shares my love of all things stationery, which is great, but even so is not particularly keen on FPs).

I’ve inked up a copper Esterbrook J with a NOS 9668 nib.

Great looking pen! I don't understand the people who get all "ooh aah" about the Icicles, because I think the the mackerel celluloid is just way prettier.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Crocodile 377 - M. nib. Ink: Diamine Syrah

Lanbitou 3059 (White) - M. nib. Ink: Diamine Sherwood Green

Pilot Kukuno - M. nib. Ink: Sheaffer Black

fpn_1599926379__sailor_fude_pen_min-to-m

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Today it was the Cross Solo (red, F nib -- the one bought from a friend's estate a couple of years ago, and marked "Made in Japan") with Ferris wheel Press, Tanzanite Sky; and the 1946 (Third Generation Parker Vacumatic Major (Silver Pearl, F nib), with vintage Quink Microfilm Black). Oh, I just looked at the time -- guess I used those yesterday.... :blush:

Well, I have to write a check, so I'll also be using the Vac today.... :rolleyes:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Waterman Safety 12 1/2 VS from 1920s, with a soft flexible Broad nib. Probably the smallest and lightest pen I have, about 11.5cm long capped, and weighs only 9 grams! But with nib extended and pen uncapped, it’s actually longer! Red mottled ebonite that in real life shows a more earthy orangey red.

fpn_1600166175__12282c46-d9cb-4e72-9d55-

fpn_1600166199__98e20969-e900-4033-9f9d-

Two classic workhorses and a brand new wanna-be workhorse in my pocket today

• Pelikan M600 in classic green/black(translucent) striping, with an F nib and Diamine Presidential Blue.
  • Platinum Preppy (0.5), with Noodler's Red
  • Lamy Studio in Glacier, with one the finest and smoothest EF steel nibs I have experienced and the factory Lamy Blue cartridge.

Waterman Safety 12 1/2 VS from 1920s, with a soft flexible Broad nib. Probably the smallest and lightest pen I have, about 11.5cm long capped, and weighs only 9 grams! But with nib extended and pen uncapped, it’s actually longer! Red mottled ebonite that in real life shows a more earthy orangey red.

fpn_1600166175__12282c46-d9cb-4e72-9d55-

fpn_1600166199__98e20969-e900-4033-9f9d-

Now, that's something special.

:)

+1 to that. That Waterman Safety is drop dead gorgeous!

For me, today, it's been: the Pilot Metropolitan Retro Pop Herringbone/Grey (calligraphy/stub nib) -- KWZI (standard) Turquoise; the Dark Lilac Safari (F nib) -- Diamine Guitar Series Pelham Blue; and the Grey Pilot Decimo (F nib) -- Iroshizuku Tsuyu-kusa.

I was busy today. Had the gold and dove 51, the Vista, and a "fligher" stainless/gold clip 45 ball point filled with black gel.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Today it will be:

- an opaque grey Jinhao 992 with a transparent blue cap - because the original one cracked - and it looks prettier anyway. It's filled with R&K Document Brown

- Pilot Metropolitan CM in Screaming Green (I forget what they called it, that's what it looks like to me) filled with Pilot Mixable Black

- Sailor Neo 2.0mm calligraphy pen, it's cartridge ran out so I've been refilling it with Sailor Tokiwa-matsu

Will work for pens... :unsure: