Got 10 Pens Inked And I Want To Ink More :(

Tseg

Phewww! And here I thought I wasn’t normal smile.png

Defining 'Normal', is a dangerous winding path. laugh.png

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• ParkerDuofold

• Bo Bo Olson

• bemon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yikes.gif yikes.gif

I don't even have that many pens.

They breed in the dark...

My database currently lists 138 entries, counting the two Ranga pens ordered in the latest group buy (but does NOT count a Sheaffer dual desk set [with mismatched pens], and three Esterbrook Dip-Less sets, nor my Koh-i-noor Rapidograph technical pen sets).

30 of those entries are since September (or roughly 3 a month -- this is what happens when after decades of buying more and more expensive pens, one takes a jaunt on the cheap end)

I try to limit how many pens I have inked up to what fits in a canister on the bookshelf that doubles as a nightstand. When I get to the point that the number in rotation gets unwieldy, I make an effort to finish off fills and then flush at least two for every pen put back into rotation.

My problem, of course, is that I like pens with large ink capacities: piston fillers, and vintage pens like Parker 51s and Vacs.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Phewww! And here I thought I wasn’t normal :)

And you ask us about normal? :lticaptd:

I currently have 11 inked but this is unusual and too many for me. I usually try to keep it down to 3-5. That way I can enjoy each pen more intensely. But then, currently I also have 10 pens on my workbench for restoration. :yikes:

I've had as many as 15-20 inked at one time, but just now am managing to keep it down to 8.

At this very second all pens have been cleaned out with nothing inked! I'm feeling jittery!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I don't even have that many pens.

Many of those are cheap pens, including (but not limited to) 11 Platinum Plaisir pens — which I trust will not just dry out when unused — with different colours of (mostly) Pilot Iroshizuku ink on the ready, a handful of eye-droppered Platinum Preppy pens filled with possibly problem inks, 19 Wing Sung 3008 pens with different shimmer inks, etc. all sitting in pen cups and pen rolls on a bookcase. In a way, not that different from having a set of 36 coloured pencils or markers. My fiancée writes, among other things, children's books, and she likes her story ideas and notes, as well as personal journals sometimes, to be fancifully colourful.

I currently have 11 inked but this is unusual and too many for me. I usually try to keep it down to 3-5. That way I can enjoy each pen more intensely.

Just three to five pens inked would not even suffice for my test kit!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Is that a new milestone?

Glad you are concentrating on the birds in hand. wink.png

For a while I was buying a new pen every paycheck, every two weeks. My last pen was 4/3. To tell the truth there are not many pens out that are that interesting. I currently have 62 pens and 33 of them are inked. I do need to go back and focus on what I really liked and maybe cut the inked pens down to 15-20. That way I can do a two week rotation and have some special use pens that overlap the rotation ones.

Oh well... it's all fun!

30 of those entries are since September (or roughly 3 a month -- this is what happens when after decades of buying more and more expensive pens, one takes a jaunt on the cheap end)

I have somehow managed to refrain from falling into the cheap pen trap. I once bought 5 cheap pens at the flea market on a whim and they were forgotten within the month.

My policy is to make a note of the price of every cheap pen I want to buy, when it adds up to a sizeable amount I get a decent pen. biggrin.png

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

The good thing about piston pens, is you don't have to fill to the top.... a 1/4th or 1/3rd just to get some different ink to scribble with is great.....one knows one is not 'stuck' with the same ink for longer periods....especially with lots of pens inked.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Many of those are cheap pens, including (but not limited to) 11 Platinum Plaisir pens — which I trust will not just dry out when unused — with different colours of (mostly) Pilot Iroshizuku ink on the ready, a handful of eye-droppered Platinum Preppy pens filled with possibly problem inks, 19 Wing Sung 3008 pens with different shimmer inks, etc. all sitting in pen cups and pen rolls on a bookcase. In a way, not that different from having a set of 36 coloured pencils or markers. My fiancée writes, among other things, children's books, and she likes her story ideas and notes, as well as personal journals sometimes, to be fancifully colourful.

Even so, you are still in a different league IMO. thumbup.gif

Engineer :

At this very second all pens have been cleaned out with nothing inked! I'm feeling jittery!

No need to, I think we might be the two sane members on this thread so far or we could simply be novices in the grand league of inking. biggrin.png

Engineer :

To tell the truth there are not many pens out that are that interesting. I currently have 62 pens and 33 of them are inked.

I too am coming to same conclusion especially in my meager price bracket.

That is a lot of pens, it is going to take me a while to get there. Maybe never. sad.png

Some of those 33 must dry out before you get to them?

Even if you rotate 4 a day, you will only use each pen once every 8 days for a few hours.

OTOH, I would need a chart to remember the pen/ink combo. biggrin.png

Engineer :

:D

Hi Pakman,

I guess you're not enjoying that 'debt-free" feeling?

- Anthony

They breed in the dark...

My database currently lists 138 entries, counting the two Ranga pens ordered in the latest group buy (but does NOT count a Sheaffer dual desk set [with mismatched pens], and three Esterbrook Dip-Less sets, nor my Koh-i-noor Rapidograph technical pen sets).

In your case, it is the outbreak of an epidemic. biggrin.png

The database is a lifeline for such a collection and I assume you have an equally extensive ink collection.

I doubt there are that many pens that I even like, irrespective of the price.

It would be a colossal project to come up with a list. ohmy.png

OTOH, I am glad you continue to enjoy and cherish the collection.

How long has it taken you to get this far?

Engineer :

For a while I was buying a new pen every paycheck, every two weeks. My last pen was 4/3. To tell the truth there are not many pens out that are that interesting. I currently have 62 pens and 33 of them are inked. I do need to go back and focus on what I really liked and maybe cut the inked pens down to 15-20. That way I can do a two week rotation and have some special use pens that overlap the rotation ones.

Oh well... it's all fun!

I like your approach, though it's not really keeping the daemon in check. ;) At least, you won't go bankrupt that way. What's an interesting pen is quite a personal question. I think there are an amazing number of interesting pens out there but neither can I afford many of them nor do I want them all. My worst passion (money-wise) is OMAS pens and for me (and maybe only for me) it seems like there is an endless number of interesting models. And this is only one of so many top makers.

I have somehow managed to refrain from falling into the cheap pen trap. I once bought 5 cheap pens at the flea market on a whim and they were forgotten within the month.

My policy is to make a note of the price of every cheap pen I want to buy, when it adds up to a sizeable amount I get a decent pen. biggrin.png

I should point out that, this late in the decade, "cheap pen" is sub $100. Granted, the cheapest were in the $10 range (Platinum Carbon desk pens), with the next group being the $20s (Noodler's Ahab), followed by Lamy Joy and an Al-Star. So -- a Levenger True Writer falls into the "cheap pen" category.

In terms of build -- the cheapest is probably the Monteverde Monza with OmniFlex nib (bought solely to experience the nib). The freebie that was included with the recently received Ranga order is probably of higher quality.

The Rangas did not fall into "cheap" as I opted for a gold nib on the Bamboo model, and titanium nib on the 4C.

what's wrong with me today? I have only two pews inked and one to wash out...

that's not good...

I have to make amends soon!

I should point out that, this late in the decade, "cheap pen" is sub $100. Granted, the cheapest were in the $10 range (Platinum Carbon desk pens), with the next group being the $20s (Noodler's Ahab), followed by Lamy Joy and an Al-Star. So -- a Levenger True Writer falls into the "cheap pen" category.

In terms of build -- the cheapest is probably the Monteverde Monza with OmniFlex nib (bought solely to experience the nib). The freebie that was included with the recently received Ranga order is probably of higher quality.

The Rangas did not fall into "cheap" as I opted for a gold nib on the Bamboo model, and titanium nib on the 4C.

btw, yes, try the freebie out! it's a nice writer! (watch out for the burping though...)