Adding To The Flock

mana

that was very generous of you, the Green o' Green is a rather rare M600 now, if you were to purchase today for a mint specimen you would pay close to 10 times what you paid.

Wow, didn't think it was that rare. I was quite embarrassed giving my friend a used pen. But the pen looked new, with minor micro scratches that were not deep. Upon polishing the pen, it looked like NOS. During that time, I did not have much money, so I was happy to find a nice looking pen for cheap. My buddy would always stare at my Pelikans when we would do work together lol.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• mana

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel like you're being a bad influence on my wallet :lol: The pen is super beautiful. I hope I can see one in person sometime. Pelikan really knocks it out of the park when it comes to depth (thinking to the Ocean Swirl as well... which would go really nicely with this one... and since I have one...)

Oh were you not warned when you first joined? We are all shameless enablers here....

My bad....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Finally! Grail nib achieved: Flexy 14K cursive italic BB with an insane amount of tipping in a post war Pelikan 100N. Epic! #chonkynib

As some of you might know, I already have a bunch of Pelikan 100N with 14K B/BB/BBB vintage nibs but the "problem" with them has usually been the relatively sparse amount of tipping left... with this one, I got lucky.

Not only is it in awesome shape and perfoms like a dream but the tipping is a very healthy and sharp 3:2 when viewed from the top. I had my eyes on a 100N with a similar one but it sold for a crazy money (around 400€). Then I found this one hiding in the depths of the internet for an affordable price and pounced at it.

The pen is in great shape exterior wise with a really nice caramel green binde. The only problems were an old leaky rubber piston seal which I swapped. Oh, had to change to filling knob & spindle too as the spindle didn’t want to stay connected to the knob (need to epoxy it in place at some point). Ink window is a bit hazy/cloudy but that is a minor issue.

Now, with that other longer term target recently having joined my collection (the mint/NOS Pelikan 400/450 Tortoise set I posted about earlier) I feel that I can take a break from buying pens for a longer while, maybe get rid of stuff that is not my focus and just concentrate on using the ones I have... well, we will see how far that goes.

”It is not easy for the hunter to stop hunting... for it is in his blood.”

wzqrvk1uf9351.jpg

Oh, one more thing, both the nib and the pen/filling mechanism were marked BB and the imprint on the cap and the one on the filling mechanism were super crisp and fully filled with matching green. So all in all, I am one happy camper.

:bunny01:

Oh, one more thing, both the nib and the pen/filling mechanism were marked BB and the imprint on the cap and the one on the filling mechanism were super crisp and fully filled with matching green. So all in all, I am one happy camper.

:bunny01:

That is a lovely pen, mana! I hope you enjoy it for many years.

It's just a shame that you aren't more excited about finding such a classic beauty... :D

That is a lovely pen, mana! I hope you enjoy it for many years.

It's just a shame that you aren't more excited about finding such a classic beauty... :D

Lol... :D

Congratulations on reaching that milestone with this lovely pen and nib! In regards to your other postwar 100N pens with modest tipping, I was communicating with BoBo Olsen about the tipping on postwar GeHa pens recently, and he told me in his experience with postwar German nibs, many if not most of the semi/maxi semi flex flat nibs were factory stubs with minimal tipping from the factory, likely because of the cost of iridium (more costly than gold at the time) in times of austerity. This is from BoBo:

“Pelikan has a tad thicker stubbed nib than the Degussa* made nibs of Geha and Osmia. A couple of posters I respect stated that the Geha nib was a tad springier in semi/maxi than Pelikan. I checked that out and found it to be true. I have both in normal semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex.

*1932 being broke again Osmia had to sell it's nib factory to Degussa (the gold and silver manufacture) for debt. Degussa continued making that very, very fine Osmia nib...under Osmia's name for Osmia and like Bock does today, who ever wants to pay for the imprint.......like Geha.....and even Soennecken as it died. Geha had very good nibs.

1922 a Heidelberg Professor sold the Bohler brothers (Osmia) his patent on nib tipping, made from Osmium. It was one of the greatest tipping of that era, and I still like the hell out of it on my Osmia or Geha nibs.”

I don't know if this is helpful to you, but it may account for the thinness of the tipping on many of your postwar nibs. If true, then finding this 100N with more tipping may be that much rarer. Enjoy your pen!

I've made a couple of additions recently. An M600 Blue Striated with an M nib - I've not had this colour version but do have an M405.

fpn_1591453909__m600_m_nib-fb.jpg

Also, I bought an M nib, rhodium plated for my M805. Originally it had an EF nib but I've got F size on my other 800s.

fpn_1591453927__m805_m_nib-fbjpg.jpg

The 600 has 4001 Violet in and writes beautifully. The 805, Edelstein Topaz. Ditto!

Well, something 'lockdown' is useful for - shopping on-line!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Congratulations on reaching that milestone with this lovely pen and nib! In regards to your other postwar 100N pens with modest tipping, I was communicating with BoBo Olsen about the tipping on postwar GeHa pens recently, and he told me in his experience with postwar German nibs, many if not most of the semi/maxi semi flex flat nibs were factory stubs with minimal tipping from the factory, likely because of the cost of iridium (more costly than gold at the time) in times of austerity. This is from BoBo:

“Pelikan has a tad thicker stubbed nib than the Degussa* made nibs of Geha and Osmia. A couple of posters I respect stated that the Geha nib was a tad springier in semi/maxi than Pelikan. I checked that out and found it to be true. I have both in normal semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex.

*1932 being broke again Osmia had to sell it's nib factory to Degussa (the gold and silver manufacture) for debt. Degussa continued making that very, very fine Osmia nib...under Osmia's name for Osmia and like Bock does today, who ever wants to pay for the imprint.......like Geha.....and even Soennecken as it died. Geha had very good nibs.

1922 a Heidelberg Professor sold the Bohler brothers (Osmia) his patent on nib tipping, made from Osmium. It was one of the greatest tipping of that era, and I still like the hell out of it on my Osmia or Geha nibs.”

I don't know if this is helpful to you, but it may account for the thinness of the tipping on many of your postwar nibs. If true, then finding this 100N with more tipping may be that much rarer. Enjoy your pen!

Yeah, that has been my understanding too... BoBo is really a font of knowledge and has helped me too on occasion. But yeah, I can't believe that they would have worn to be that thin especially when you look at their side profile which is basically rather square with sharp'ish corners > either not used much or reground to be more sharp.

And hey, thanks and wilco! ;)

Had to add this picture, you can kind of see how thin the tipping is on these nibs:

fpn_1591512889__b_bb__bbb_vintage_pelika

Edited by mana

Oh were you not warned when you first joined? We are all shameless enablers here....

My bad....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Hah! I was warned, but still managed to fall head first down the rabbit hole.

Edited by aimi

Oh dear, oh dear... I am hopeless. :( The guy that I bought the 100N from also had a run of the mill green stripe "F" marked 400 with the usual wear to the cap trim edge... with another healthy looking BB-nib! Not as sharp though but it was also an early script nib with loads of tipping...

And then he made me an offer that I simply could not refuse. :headsmack:

Well, it should be on my way shortly. I am just wondering how on earth he had ended up with those? Maybe he inherited them? Or a lucky flea market find. The thing is, that 400 had a nib swapped to it post sale so it was made on purpose... need to ask him. :)

M1005 F has taken up residence, and is getting along nicely with the M205 F CI, and tortoise 400 B

Add lightness and simplicate.

M1005 F has taken up residence, and is getting along nicely with the M205 F CI, and tortoise 400 B

Yes, I find this breed of Pelikans are, for the most part, rather docile birds, and they live very well together. I would, however, not underestimate how quickly they can breed, even in captivity.

Received my first Pelikan m1000 a few weeks ago. Very comfortable, though I find the length of the huge nib a little strange (I usually dont hold my pen very far back, so the tipping being so far from my fingers is a different feeling from normal). It is a green stripe with a plain F nib, which I am thinking about getting ground into something more interesting.

Edited by WLSpec

Alas mine don't qualify for a flock yet but give me time...

Just added a brown marble m200 fine as my m215 was looking terribly lonely. It was around half price through Amazon warehouse (used-like new) so I went in expecting it to need a new nib unit, assuming it was returned for that reason. Its beak was definitely a little off but I think I've almost tamed it between a brass shim, buffing cube and some inventive swearing. Still picking up a medium for it though.

Received my first Pelikan m1000 a few weeks ago. Very comfortable, though I find the length of the huge nib a little strange (I usually dont hold my pen very far back, so the tipping being so far from my fingers is a different feeling from normal). It is a green stripe with a plain F nib, which I am thinking about getting ground into something more interesting.

Ya. Yo tambien. I'll get the nominal F ground to an actual F and throw in Cursive Italic for added flavour.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Ya. Yo tambien. I'll get the nominal F ground to an actual F and throw in Cursive Italic for added flavour.

I'm happy with the line width of the nib, but when I get it ground I think I'll go for a cursive italic as well just to spice the nib up a little bit. Right now it's just a bit boring, though I enjoy the flexibility it offers without being a flex nib.

Oh dear, oh dear... I am hopeless. :( The guy that I bought the 100N from also had a run of the mill green stripe "F" marked 400 with the usual wear to the cap trim edge... with another healthy looking BB-nib! Not as sharp though but it was also an early script nib with loads of tipping...

And then he made me an offer that I simply could not refuse. :headsmack:

Well, it should be on my way shortly. I am just wondering how on earth he had ended up with those? Maybe he inherited them? Or a lucky flea market find. The thing is, that 400 had a nib swapped to it post sale so it was made on purpose... need to ask him. :)

Wonderful!

Looking forward to the pictures :)

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

Yeah, that has been my understanding too... BoBo is really a font of knowledge and has helped me too on occasion. But yeah, I can't believe that they would have worn to be that thin especially when you look at their side profile which is basically rather square with sharp'ish corners > either not used much or reground to be more sharp.

And hey, thanks and wilco! ;)

Had to add this picture, you can kind of see how thin the tipping is on these nibs:

fpn_1591512889__b_bb__bbb_vintage_pelika

Thanks for posting this-great demonstration of the tipping and line width ranges.

Ok, just got the 400... I am in love again. :D

w56pzfvkno551.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

If you are wondering about the really thick and wet line I just dipped it for trying it out. With a belly full of ink it should lay out a more controlled and crisp line. Really happy about this one, going to be one of my EDC pens (and nibs).

Kind of thought it would be in worse shape based on pics but it really has only a few minor issues such as the slight color change in the barrel where the cap covered it and some ink residue inside the top of the barrel.

Nominal line width is about 1.0 mm with regular pressure and when pressed to a comfortable limit something like 1.5-1.6 mm. Really smooth and springy writing experience, luxurious even. And yeah, it has a generous amount of tipping left...
Pelikan really knew how to make nibs back in the day.

Oh yeah, I asked about the pens from the guy I bought this and the previous 100N and he said that he inherited them. As in, found them in a desk drawer of the office of the person who had passed and decided to sell them forward. Well, lucky me.