Psychology Of Green

Drawing61

Perhaps it's something to do with colour complexity? Green being a secondary on the colour wheel, whereas blue and red are primaries. The secondary colours - green, purple, orange - seem to hold my attention more, whereas I'm invariably disappointed by blue inks unless they do something "interesting" such as leaning towards green or purple.

Personally I'm enjoying Robert Oster Moss very much at the moment. Similar to Alt-Goldgrun but a touch darker and greener.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• Bluey

• Drawing61

• Stitchpunk

Perhaps it's something to do with colour complexity? Green being a secondary on the colour wheel, whereas blue and red are primaries. The secondary colours - green, purple, orange - seem to hold my attention more, whereas I'm invariably disappointed by blue inks unless they do something "interesting" such as leaning towards green or purple.

Personally I'm enjoying Robert Oster Moss very much at the moment. Similar to Alt-Goldgrun but a touch darker and greener.

Green is a primary colour mate, except for the purpose of mixing inks

Edited by Bluey

In your perspective, perhaps. :)

I like green. I want to write with greens, and have a few nice greens in my ink cabinet. The problem is (and I do not know or understand why this is), I begin to feel physically ill when I begin writing with green ink. For whatever reason, when I put green ink to paper, I just cannot stand to look at it, yet I want to write with it. I suppose there must be some underlying psychological reason for it, but I sure don't know what it is.

As for the inks in my cabinet there is the most of - probably blues and blue blacks. But I really do have quite a variety of blues, blacks, reds, purples, browns, and, yes, even greens.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

In your perspective, perhaps. :)

Unless you're a bird or a worm or something then it will be your perspective too. Almost all humans are trichromats, and our primary colours are red green blue.

I'm sure there's been another thread where we've all been through this before.

Edited by Bluey

Unless you're a bird or a worm or something then it will be your perspective too. Almost all humans are trichromats, and our primary colours are red green blue.

I'm sure there's been another thread where we've all been through this before.

Thank you for the correction. I guess it is never too late to learn something new. :)

Edited by kiavonne

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Thank you for the correction. I guess it is never too late to learn something new. :)

Np. From what I hear it's a fallacy conveyed by some art teachers at school, and people grow up believing that to be true because art is mostly/partly where people learn about colour. To an art teacher, though, the primary colours would be "red"(magenta) "blue"(cyan) and yellow because their life is dealing with inks and pigments.

Edited by Bluey

Thanks to all for your imput. My green leaning is to the dark side, as is my preference for the rest of the spectrum with the exception of brown. I do love lovely dark brown but also vintage sepia. My quest is for the perfect "tobacco brown". Any suggestions?

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

Thanks to all for your imput. My green leaning is to the dark side, as is my preference for the rest of the spectrum with the exception of brown. I do love lovely dark brown but also vintage sepia. My quest is for the perfect "tobacco brown". Any suggestions?

Hi there, D61,

Well, there is DeAtramentus Tobacco... which is even scented as such... and I like DeA inks... of the ones I've tried.

However, you may want to start here:

https://www.gouletpens.com/ink-comparison-tool

Click on "Group by Color" and select "brown." The options could leave your mind spinning, but it's a great place to start. Pick out a few you like and then research them in the Ink Review section and/or run them by us. :)

Ink Review Section:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/160612-index-of-ink-reviews/page-1

- Anthony

EDITED to add link to IRS. :)

Edited by ParkerDuofold

????? I work with mixing dyes quite a bit. Pretty sure I know the colour wheel. Which is what I was referring to, I'd consider inks to be about colour pigments, not light...

????? I work with mixing dyes quite a bit. Pretty sure I know the colour wheel. Which is what I was referring to, I'd consider inks to be about colour pigments, not light.

I don't doubt for a second that you do, but green is still a primary colour for all intents and purpose. The only time when green is not a primary colour is when mixing inks/dyes/pigments.

You're human, correct?

You see colours with your eyes, correct?

Then there's a 99.9% chance you're a trichromat, and thus green is a primary colour.

It doesn't matter if you're talking about inks, balloons, curtains, or Mrs Smith's gorgeous apples from number 42.

Please read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichromacy

Maybe Diamine Saddle brown?

Edited by Bluey

I don't doubt for a second that you do, but green is still a primary colour for all intents and purpose. The only time when green is not a primary colour is when mixing inks/dyes/pigments.

You're human, correct?

You see colours with your eyes, correct?

Then there's a 99.9% chance you're a trichromat, and thus green is a primary colour.

It doesn't matter if you're talking about inks, balloons, curtains, or Mrs Smith's gorgeous apples from number 42.

Please read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichromacy

Maybe Diamine Saddle brown?

Like I said, I was referring specifically to primary colours in colour pigments as used in the mixing of dyes, paints, and inks. I'm aware that there are additive and subtractive colour models. *shrug* You can tell me about RGB till you're blue in the face, (ha!!) but that still doesn't make it possible to get green ink without mixing proportions of what the human eye perceives as yellow and blue (and possibly black and white.) I think I do understand what you are saying about RGB being the scientifically correct model, but it doesn't do you any good at all when you're trying make spearmint green ink or moss green ink or whatever! At the risk of being (apparently) an eternal annoyance to you, I will continue to refer to the pigment colour primaries rather than the light colour primaries with regards to ink :D

Like I said, I was referring specifically to primary colours in colour pigments as used in the mixing of dyes, paints, and inks. I'm aware that there are additive and subtractive colour models. *shrug* You can tell me about RGB till you're blue in the face, (ha!!) but that still doesn't make it possible to get green ink without mixing proportions of what the human eye perceives as yellow and blue (and possibly black and white.) I think I do understand what you are saying about RGB being the scientifically correct model, but it doesn't do you any good at all when you're trying make spearmint green ink or moss green ink or whatever! At the risk of being (apparently) an eternal annoyance to you, I will continue to refer to the pigment colour primaries rather than the light colour primaries with regards to ink :D

But from what you've said there you don't understand. Let's just call it a day

Edited by Bluey

I have organized my inks by a very simple cross reference method and discovered two interesting things. One, I have a lot more ink than I thought and two, I have a lot more green than I thought. I suspected that the majority of my inks would be in the blue or brown range but green is the winner. I like green but never knew I liked it this much. Does this have some deeper significance?

yes: in French, we say "le vert pour l'espérance..." (poorly translated into "green for hope")

My KWZ green #3 came in. A perfect medium tone green and the ink flows and behaves nicely. I foresee a good many journal pages with green interspersed with other colors. It will give my journals a fresh look and new personality.

Edited by Studio97

Hi Russ, et al,

We use red for Pentecost; green is for "ordinary time"... which is most of the time. ;)

- Anthony

I think everybody is right here, depending on denomination and lingo. Lutherans, and I think several other denominations, use red for Pentecost Day and green for Pentecost *season.* I think that's what Episcopalians and maybe Catholics call ordinary time.

Thanks to all. Thank you Anthony, I shall have to embrace my inner Kurtz and welcome green into my heart.

I am embracing my inner Kurtz. :D

36227500481_cb355cb078_c.jpg

Now, which greens am I missing...

I am embracing my inner Kurtz. :D

36227500481_cb355cb078_c.jpg

Now, which greens am I missing...

:lol:

Hi Malcolm,

Wow! Not very many. Thank you for the excellent sampling of greens. :thumbup:

You've only missed three of mine... J. Herbin Sauvage, Vert Reseda and Sheaffer green... I can fill those in later for you when I get home.

That's great, Malcolm... you really did embrace your inner Kurtz. :D

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I've never really thought of umber as a green. Will have to look at it more closely next time.

Nell.

Neither have I, Little_Nell. Umber in my experience was a sort of neutral brown and seeing a green called umber had me scratching my head, but apparently Diamine has its own idea of umber as a coolish green and I love the colour despite the (to me) questionable name.

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

I'd suggest Waterman Havana, now called Absolute Brown. I thought it was beautiful, but it also faded to teal.

I think everybody is right here, depending on denomination and lingo. Lutherans, and I think several other denominations, use red for Pentecost Day and green for Pentecost *season.* I think that's what Episcopalians and maybe Catholics call ordinary time.

For Catholics, aside from the penitential seasons of Lent and Advent (purple), and the holy seasons of Christmas and Easter (white and/or gold), most of the liturgical year is Ordinary time, and the liturgical color is green.