Hello Lamy Fans

HollyDav

Good morning all. Finally got to spend some quality time with my new pen. I caught up on my journaling and wrote a letter to one of my friends that I usually only communicate with through e-mail! I really love the 2K, it's too bad that so many write negative stuff about it, because for me the pen was perfect right out of the box. Definitely the best pen in my humble collection.

I don't write negative stuff about the Lamy 2000. I once received a letter from a FPN penpal who said he believed it was the best pen on the market. I bought one on that recommendation, and I've loved it since I first used it. :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• HollyDav

• Needhelp

• Chrissy

Anthony -- Thank you for opening my eyes to the world of brown ink! I investigated that Diamine Chocolate Brown and it looks lovely. Of course then I went off on brown ink tour and wow, never knew there were so many pretty brown inks. I may have a new obsession :)

Hi Holly,

That's great and you're welcome... I'm glad I was able to spread the virus... er, uh,... joy of using brown inks. :)

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

I'm probably one of the biggest fans of the L2K here... I'm even brazen enough to say it's a way better pen than the vaunted 51. It's also a beautiful pen... but I didn't always think so...being Italian... it took me a little time to see the beauty in its frank austerity. ;)

I like the way the Lamy 2000 looks. (Well, I don't love the cap, but I do not usually post my pens.) However, I tried the Macrolon model recently, and the balance wasn't right for my hand. I found it to be weighted more toward the front than I prefer.

Have you used both the Macrolon and the all-metal version, and if so, are they balanced in the same way, or does the difference in the distribution of metal shift the weight of the all-metal version a bit toward the back?

Edited by ENewton

I like the way the Lamy 2000 looks. (Well, I don't love the cap, but I do not usually post my pens.) However, I tried the Macrolon model recently, and the balance wasn't right for my hand. I found it to be weighted more toward the front than I prefer.

Have you used both the Macrolon and the all-metal version, and if so, are they balanced in the same way, or does the difference in the distribution of metal shift the weight of the all-metal version a bit toward the back?

Hi ENewton, et al,

I have not tried the all-metal version; I automatically ruled it out when I read its weight, (I prefer Bantamweight to Welterweight pens... and the all-metal L2K is more like a Cruiserweight to Heavyweight pen :D).

Unfortunately, (for those who do not like to post... of which, I am one... when I can avoid it), the L2K was designed to be posted and feels perfectly balanced when it is... or when it has a full tank of ink. Otherwise, it can be a little "nib heavy," but not to the point where it bothered me... but, that is a very subjective and relative thing... as it obviously bothers you.

I wish I could be of more help to you, but I've always been satisfied with the makrolon L2K as it is. If you have any more questions,... or if I mis-interpreted any of your's... please lmk.

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Thank you for confirming my observation, Anthony.

I don't mind heavy pens, as long as they aren't what you have called "nib heavy," but I am reluctant to post because 1) my hands are notably small, and 2) I like the shape of the barrel and wouldn't want to hide it with the cap.

Fortunately, I shouldn't have much trouble finding the steel version to try at the upcoming San Francisco pen show.

Have a fine Sunday.

Thank you for confirming my observation, Anthony.

I don't mind heavy pens, as long as they aren't what you have called "nib heavy," but I am reluctant to post because 1) my hands are notably small, and 2) I like the shape of the barrel and wouldn't want to hide it with the cap.

Fortunately, I shouldn't have much trouble finding the steel version to try at the upcoming San Francisco pen show.

Have a fine Sunday.

Hi ENewton,

Actually, I was only echoing your sentiments... personally, I find the L2K pretty well-balanced either way, (posted or unposted),... but evidently, you do not... that's why I said weight and balance are very subjective and relative things.

However, if weight doesn't bother you, I'd go ahead and try out the all-metal L2K @ the pen show... you may even want to try out an upper-echelon Studio with the 14k gold nib if you see one there... those are very nice writers and you may find it better balanced than the standard L2K. The Studio would be half the price and almost half the weight, too.

Your call. Thank you... I hope you've had a pleasant Sunday, too. :)

- Anthony

Needhelp-- Yea it should be your next pen purchase! Keep saving. It took me awhile. I am a shameless Starbucks addict, so every time I talked myself out of a latte, cappuccino etc. and made coffee at home ... I put $5 in an envelope. It took a while but it was fun watching that envelope fatten up. Plus the way my deluded mind sees it, I would have drank all those fives, so essentially my Lamy 2k was free :-) I have become very good at justifying! I quit smoking over 30 years ago and sometimes I will still do that "imagine how much money I'd be wasting if I still smoked" thing.

So if anyone every needs a little enabling or help justifying a purchase, you know who to come to.

Cheers!

Well unfortunately i cant save up for it because well its my parents who pays for the fountain pens i choose so only if they approve i can have it and im just 14 what about to be 15 years old that is in october and they wouldnt allow me to save up and buy it myself.

I think ParkerDuofold was right about the lamy blue black ink being too dry. It is perfect and works very well with the lamy al star but it writes a bit dry on other pens. But i actually like the ink and it performs well on cheap paper.