Triangle Pen Show

GardenWeasel

Colorverse!

... Yes?

~ S.

Yes. I kept fumbling around wanting to try it. Yet, there is no sample and I was not sold on the color swatches. I am always looking for something either red or the color of Iroshizuku Momiji. There were at least two which looked almost like Momiji I guess, but the ink is $36.00 and I was not ready to be disappointed if it turned out I did not like it. I have two inks now where that is the case.

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• GardenWeasel

• akrohn2010

• inkstainedruth

Greetings from the Triangle Pen Show. Heres todays treasure.

post-7442-0-41410700-1527894140_thumb.jpeg

What evil lurks in the hearts of men?

The Shadow knows!

:yikes: :lol:

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Nice purchases!

Thanks for sharing- always interesting to see what people buy at shows, I hope others follow your example! :)

I did finally find an Esterbrook Relief fountain pen (L-2), but no picture of that at the moment.

My biggest (at least in volume) were these amazing references. Jonathan was graciousness himself and a kindred spirit from the pencil world.

post-47048-0-49394900-1527905087_thumb.jpeg

Edited by AAAndrew

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

I did finally find an Esterbrook Relief fountain pen (L-2), but no picture of that at the moment.

My biggest (at least in volume) were these amazing references. Jonathan was graciousness himself and a kindred spirit from the pencil world.

Interesting

I always enjoy reading your posts and have in my mind this idea of you (all very good, btw). 'Sitting your husband down' -- I get that. Stopping at antique stores -- doesn't surprise, would expect it.

But cranking the volume on your favorite tunes?!? Totally missed this. Nothing at all to do with pens and ink I realize, but do you mind sharing just what music it is that you crank? And if your volume control goes to 11, what do you consider 'crank' range?

Did not you and I meet at the Triangle Pen Show?: What did you think? Did you buy anything?

Did you have fun? I found this time around, there were many more vintage fountain pens and not many new ones. What did you think? I purchased ink. Ackerman and needed another bottle of Diamine Imperial Purple. I kept waffling on another Ryan K. wooden pen. I did not know he makes one which is slightly smaller than the one I purchased. I decided to wait though. He is fixing the one I purchased so the cap works, it kind of kept on turning after I thought it securely on. He stands by his fountain pens and a nice guy if anyone wonders. He is going to fix it and send it to me. I still would love his limited edition pen he made for fountain pen day though. He says he has a few more. Maybe after I make sure I continue to live indoors, running the air conditioner and eating maybe every now and then this month. I shall see. :lticaptd: :lticaptd:

Oh my! My new M200 nib from Indy-Pen-Dance, whittled down to .3mm. What a joy! :)post-14468-0-82258200-1528049739_thumb.jpeg

Edited by GardenWeasel

Did you have fun? I found this time around, there were many more vintage fountain pens and not many new ones. What did you think? I purchased ink. Ackerman and needed another bottle of Diamine Imperial Purple. I kept waffling on another Ryan K. wooden pen. I did not know he makes one which is slightly smaller than the one I purchased. I decided to wait though. He is fixing the one I purchased so the cap works, it kind of kept on turning after I thought it securely on. He stands by his fountain pens and a nice guy if anyone wonders. He is going to fix it and send it to me. I still would love his limited edition pen he made for fountain pen day though. He says he has a few more. Maybe after I make sure I continue to live indoors, running the air conditioner and eating maybe every now and then this month. I shall see. :lticaptd: :lticaptd:

Yes I did have fun!

I believe you are right, there were more vintage pens than last year. I enjoy vintage pens although I do have several modern pens as well. I was able to find a blue Eversharp pencil to go with my blue Skyline, joy😃. I also found a Sheaffer Touchdown, a Sheaffer Tuckaway vac filler and a nice pen tray for display and a couple bottles of ink. Waterman Intense Black and Parker Quink Washable Blue.post-7442-0-60726300-1527979266_thumb.jpeg

What evil lurks in the hearts of men?

The Shadow knows!

Oh my! My new M200 nib from Indy-Pen-Dance, whittled down to .3mm. What a joy! :)

Now, that is sharp. I saw them. I think there were three Nibmeisters? Glad you now have the perfect nib for your M200 :)

Yes I did have fun!

I believe you are right, there were more vintage pens than last year. I enjoy vintage pens although I do have several modern pens as well. I was able to find a blue Eversharp pencil to go with my blue Skyline, joy. I also found a Sheaffer Touchdown, a Sheaffer Tuckaway vac filler and a nice pen tray for display and a couple bottles of ink. Waterman Intense Black and Parker Quink Washable Blue.attachicon.gif A75E81D1-FEAC-4E84-AD59-E2E9C21F874E.jpegattachicon.gif E24212C5-A267-4172-BF5B-84374250D3B7.jpeg

They all look great! You certainly found some treasures. I was thwarted by the fact that I was looking for specific fountain pens. A Visconti Stardust? An Omas, anything red and a demonstrator, believe that would be a vintage. The few I did find which interested me were medium or broad nibs. I am glad though that I saw Mr. Krusac. The cocobolo is my everyday pen that I use. I am already missing it as I gave it to him to adjust its cap. I purchased a bottle of Akkerman ink. I was going to open it and use. However, I have decided to put the bottle back in the box and wait and fill the pen he returns to me with it for the first time. Can I wait and not use the ink in any other pen in the meantime? We shall see. We shall see... :lticaptd:

That was a great time, and it was good to meet a few of you there! Picked up my first (and second) vintage pens as well as a model 03 and a lot of other goods from the Franklin-Christoph table (as expected!). Pictures to follow soon.

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

That was a great time, and it was good to meet a few of you there! Picked up my first (and second) vintage pens as well as a model 03 and a lot of other goods from the Franklin-Christoph table (as expected!). Pictures to follow soon.

Looking forward to the pictures.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

Can't wait to see what you picked up. Sadly, I could not linger long at the F-C table; it is where I first learned a couple years ago I lack self-control! :yikes: :lticaptd: :wub:

Glad everyone seemed to have a good time. I went the past two years, but didn't have the time or money. And the Raleigh area is a LOOONG way from Pittsburgh, so it would have been an all day drive on Thursday, an all day drive today, and two days at the show. Better for me this year to stay home and frantically draw up heraldry for next weekend (I'm behind and I have to have everything drawn AND colored by Thursday morning or so, so I can spend Thursday afternoon making marzipan oranges for the reception Friday evening and printing off the forms for people (I have no idea how many to make up but if I have extras, that gives me a lot of scrap paper in future... :rolleyes:). I was hoping for 50 drawings but at this point I'll be happy with 40 (at least a lot of the ones today are "get one template done and slap it on the Lightbox and trace" because there are an awful lot of "France Modern quartered with England, a label"... B)). Although I'm not sure why the women's stuff is so complicated compared to the mens' -- I'm having enough trouble putting them on a shield and cannot imagine trying to squeeze "quarterly of six" onto the sinister half of an impaled design on the supposedly correct lozenge.... :o

Of course I'm ALSO trying to figure out if I can cheat and just use the basic Percy arms with a difference mark for Lord Egremont because HIS personal arms don't seem to exist.... (This is also known as "I hate the Internet...."). Oh, and I also have to do laundry today and figure out if we have time/energy to go to a memorial service this evening. Part of me wants to go, part of me is going "I don't have time!" and part of me is going "I really do NOT want to deal with X person who probably will be there and get yet ANOTHER story (the "excuse" count is currently at FOUR) about why she "didn't" log on to Facebook using my husband's computer. In his office in the house.... (We have proof.... :angry:)

So what am I doing? Reading FPN. Sigh....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Here are the promised pictures!

Spent about 4 hours there and met quite a few of you awesome folks including Brian McQueen and fountainpenlady, which was the highlight of my experience. It was nice to not feel like the "weird pen guy" in the room for once. :)

So here's the haul:

1. Franklin-Christoph Model 03 w/medium CI Masuyama nib and extra Shadow EF nib

2. 1945 Parker Vacumatic Major 3rd Gen (thanks Brian for all the help!) with a F nib that I had Deb Kinney grind down to a western EF for me. Definitely user-grade but works for me!

3. Red Esterbrook J (40s-50s?) w/9555 Gregg nib - writes fantastically!

4. New Leuchtturm from Crazy Alans table (my bullet journal is down to about 18 pages left!)

5. 2nd/3rd trips to the F-C table resulted in me picking up a pocket notebook cover and their glasses carry bag w/3 pen insert: great idea for travel carry!

All in all not a bad haul and a great time!

post-138281-0-66045500-1528055450_thumb.jpeg

post-138281-0-19765900-1528055466_thumb.jpeg

post-138281-0-29980400-1528055479_thumb.jpeg

post-138281-0-47760000-1528055490_thumb.jpeg

Edited by flyingpenman

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

Some good looking pens there, Well done!

Glad everyone seemed to have a good time. I went the past two years, but didn't have the time or money. And the Raleigh area is a LOOONG way from Pittsburgh, so it would have been an all day drive on Thursday, an all day drive today, and two days at the show. Better for me this year to stay home and frantically draw up heraldry for next weekend (I'm behind and I have to have everything drawn AND colored by Thursday morning or so, so I can spend Thursday afternoon making marzipan oranges for the reception Friday evening and printing off the forms for people (I have no idea how many to make up but if I have extras, that gives me a lot of scrap paper in future... :rolleyes:). I was hoping for 50 drawings but at this point I'll be happy with 40 (at least a lot of the ones today are "get one template done and slap it on the Lightbox and trace" because there are an awful lot of "France Modern quartered with England, a label"... B)). Although I'm not sure why the women's stuff is so complicated compared to the mens' -- I'm having enough trouble putting them on a shield and cannot imagine trying to squeeze "quarterly of six" onto the sinister half of an impaled design on the supposedly correct lozenge.... :o

Of course I'm ALSO trying to figure out if I can cheat and just use the basic Percy arms with a difference mark for Lord Egremont because HIS personal arms don't seem to exist.... (This is also known as "I hate the Internet...."). Oh, and I also have to do laundry today and figure out if we have time/energy to go to a memorial service this evening. Part of me wants to go, part of me is going "I don't have time!" and part of me is going "I really do NOT want to deal with X person who probably will be there and get yet ANOTHER story (the "excuse" count is currently at FOUR) about why she "didn't" log on to Facebook using my husband's computer. In his office in the house.... (We have proof.... :angry:)

So what am I doing? Reading FPN. Sigh....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I am unsure whether you would have enjoyed it this year. Having gone to the Atlanta Pen Show this year, I merely went to experience a new venue where the Triangle Pen Show would be held. Personally, I did not like it much or enjoy it as well as former years attended. I intended to get there when it opened at 9:00 am (the pen show). Ended up getting there nearly 10:00 am and drove around and around trying to find a parking space. I finally took a chance and parked on the street on an inclined and hoped my parking brakes held and that there was not going to be a ticket or tow in my future. After all, I had driven over an hour to get there. This particular hotel is sandwiched between two hotels. The one where the Pen Show was being held had very few and although it seemed to have more, they were actually the parking spaces of the hotel next door and they were also filled. The venue itself is much smaller. Ryan Krusac was the first person you saw on your way around the corner to register. He was the only one against the outside wall as you enter the area. The registration table and the familiar face and greeting of Terry greeted you as you round the corner. There was the familiar caldron where you put your information to be drawn for a prize. I never win anything, but the person who won something from Franklin-Christoph I am still envying. Don't ask me what I only know I think it was leather and Terry made it a point of telling all it cost $60.00.

There was a Vintage vendor on the other end of the registration table and opposite him lots and lots of chairs. They came in handy for those who grew tired or simply needed a rest. Or like me enjoyed meeting others who also needed to rest and we got to chat about pens. Inside, no Chocolatier. Believe one of the Nibmeisters was in the corner as you entered in one of the corners to your right. Franklin-Christoph were there at another end altogether and I stopped by to drool and greet them. Vaness, where I purchased my first Akkerman bottle of ink was there. Carolina Pen Company and I believe the person behind the table was the maker of those beautiful pens. Purchased my second bottle, another Diamine Imperial Purple. I remarked to the young lady who handled my purchase, it was there I first fell in love and purchased my first bottle of Diamine Imperial Purple about two or three years ago. Finally running low and decided to go ahead and get another bottle. I am thinking there were three Nibmeisters there all together, someone else who got their pen tuned may know better. There seemed to be more vintage pen vendors then new ones. I think Bexley, Conklin, a few Visconti, Taccia were just a sampling of the new pen vendors. This pen show I did not stay long. Honestly, I walked around once to get an overview and to see what I might want to purchase. I went around a second time to actually make my purchases. Nearly forgot to mention, the Nock Brass Company reps. were there also. There were no double row crowds. It was not until I was almost leaving it became kind of crowded.

I had to figure my way off the mountain (just figuratively speaking) as the street I parked on and once relieved my vehicle had not rolled back or been ticketed I found a way to make a New York U-turn on a dime and left. I did meet a young gentleman from here. I was remiss and should have read your nametag. Honestly, at the time, you will never know how much I was happy to meet someone unfamiliar but familiar as we write and read each other here. Apologies, I am not very good remembering names or seems like in this case avatar handles, only faces and tried really hard to remember your telling me your FPN name. I want to thank you. I did not feel very comfortable and perhaps will at some point rehash the experience and discover why. I have been very pleased and fortunate enough to live in a state which Terry has been the organizer of a Pen Show each year for so many years. I have only attended three or four throughout the years. I know the thought of them coming up each year has at times been a highlight for me. This year not so much after attending and I must admit it was probably me. Many of the vendors I had become used to seeing were not present. The venue as I said seemed smaller. Not many choices in certain things as expected. In a good way, I guess it was nearly perfect. You see, I had nearly no impulse to purchase. I kept waffling back and forth with buying another Ryan Krusac fountain pen before my departure but finally talked myself out of it. All and all, I am glad I went. It was good to be one of many supporters of Terry again this year.

I will say that I am probably going to sit out next year. I may in a couple years revisit the Atlanta Pen Show. As I compared how I felt after attending each, I think although a longer journey, overwhelming as there were three ballrooms and several outside vendors there, I enjoyed a bit better the Atlanta Pen Show in comparison TPS, only one ballroom and two vendors this year. I enjoyed the adventure and challenge of making hotel reservations, halfway from where I live to Atlanta is Augusta. I made hotel reservations for Augusta and for the hotel where the Pen Show was held in Atlanta. It was only about $5.64 more then it would have been to book the hotel in Atlanta for two days only. There were some other personal perks in terms of what I learned about myself. The adventure and accomplishment to know I can drive somewhere longer than two or so hours was worth it for me. Now, Atlanta Pen Show for me was not perfect. The confusing streets, one way, my GPS confusing us both limited my ability to get around or even find food. The hotel food made me ill and yet other than Starbucks or McDonald's I had little choice on my own. A thunderstorm on my final day so I could not see other attractions. I had planned to go to the Aquarium and to also see a relative I have never met but was told to go see her if I was in town. Instead, honestly not wanting to chance it to venture farther than where I was until I got on the road headed back home I was not disappointed completely. Towards the end, I must admit I was ready.

So, that is my own personal observation and experience. I am sure others will hopefully share theirs and I think I can take reading what others thought of the new venue. I may not post a picture of my two bottles of ink, you already know what Diamine and Akkerman bottles look like so doubt it necessary. I 100% believe every experience is a chance to learn, explore, maybe tap on the fringes of my vulnerability so no regrets. I can't wait to receive my pen back from Ryan, I miss it already. :(

Disclaimer (for any English proofreaders, or my English Professors of the past) Any typos or grammatical errors you may find, rest assured, between Grammarly and repeated editing, I tried to not make any or many. If I failed, my deepest apologies, there are times when I would much prefer handwriting to feel the words, typing them on what seems like air does not make the writing concrete enough for me to feel them viscerally.

Edited by fountainpenlady

Spent about 4 hours there and met quite a few of you awesome folks including Brian McQueen and fountainpenlady, which was the highlight of my experience. It was nice to not feel like the "weird pen guy" in the room for once. :)

So here's the haul:

1. Franklin-Christoph Model 03 w/medium CI Masuyama nib and extra Shadow EF nib

2. 1945 Parker Vacumatic Major 3rd Gen (thanks Brian for all the help!) with a F nib that I had Deb Kinney grind down to a western EF for me. Definitely user-grade but works for me!

3. Red Esterbrook J (40s-50s?) w/9555 Gregg nib - writes fantastically!

4. New Leuchtturm from Crazy Alans table (my bullet journal is down to about 18 pages left!)

5. 2nd/3rd trips to the F-C table resulted in me picking up a pocket notebook cover and their glasses carry bag w/3 pen insert: great idea for travel carry!

All in all not a bad haul and a great time!

Everything looks really great. You also enjoy EF nibs I see. F-C is always such a warm place to visit and purchase from, aren't they? I love visiting them even if I do not buy anything. Seems like since, in North Carolina, we are all after all home. Looks like you did well. Enjoy! :)