Partial Baby Bottom?

Atrata

So, I have this very gorgeous (to my eyes) fireblue Kaweco Liliput, and the nib is something of a hard starter. I don't have a loupe or any tools at all, but from what I've read, the pen seems to suffer from a partial baby's bottom. It writes very well, but only at a certain angle. At all others, it skips like a schoolgirl.

I'm a complete noob about fixing this type of thing, and I don't know of any local nibmeisters, despite searches. Suggestions?

Edited by Atrata

[color="#483D8B"][i][font="Book Antiqua"]Libera me, Domine, de morte aeterna, in die illa tremenda. [/color][/font][/I]

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Atrata

• Bo Bo Olson

• cattar

• RocketRyan

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't tinker with nibs, so personally I'd just send it back for another one. I'm not saying you should do that, though. Most people on FPN seem to be able to, and are willing to, tinker with brand new pens to get them to work. I think pens should write right out of the box, but that's just me.

Good luck with your new pen. I have a stainless steel, not the fire blue, Liliput and I really like it. Mine writes well.

Hard to check to see if the tines are aligned without a loupe - but that's the first thing I would do. You need to do that prior to any tinkering to address baby's bottom if you were of a mind to fix it yourself.

Otherwise I agree with crescent2 - send it back for a replacement.

Partial Baby Bottom. I immediately thought half-a##ed.

If it was purchased new and has a warranty that might be the best option.

Good luck.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

So, I have this very gorgeous (to my eyes) fireblue Kaweco Liliput, and the nib is something of a hard starter. I don't have a loupe or any tools at all, but from what I've read, the pen seems to suffer from a partial baby's bottom. It writes very well, but only at a certain angle. At all others, it skips like a schoolgirl.

I'm a complete noob about fixing this type of thing, and I don't know of any local nibmeisters, despite searches. Suggestions?

If it writes at only a certain angle then it sound like the tines might be misaligned. If it's super duper smooth in general and skips, but stops skipping if you apply more pressure then that would sound like baby's bottom. But of course, it's not that simple, there might be other reasons too - ink, paper, your hand's rotation while writing, etc...

I'd get a loupe and check it out myself. I have rarely come across pens that write great right out the box, and even the ones that start that way enentually need help along the way. So, learning to examine the nib and tinkering with your pen is something worth learning if you intend on purchasing more pens over time and helping them write perfect.

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Babys bottom seems all too common with Germans nibs such as those of Bock, Pelikan, and Jowo. I don't know why they are so hell bent intent on trying to make them as smooth as possible.

The end user has to undo the damage by sending it to a nibmeister or do a DIY job.

Hopefully the OP can send it back.

Edited by Bluey

What does a partial baby's bottom look like?

Sort of like half a peach, I'd imagine. ;)

But I'll talk to the folks I purchased it from. They have unparalleled customer service, it's just that me living in Europe and them being in the US means really awful shipping prices.

Crescent2, I agree that pens should write well straight out of the box. This one *almost* does, but the smallest variation in angle causes the pen to skip, and that seems to me to be a flaw. It's just that I love it and would like to be able to write with it without agonising over the angle.

[color="#483D8B"][i][font="Book Antiqua"]Libera me, Domine, de morte aeterna, in die illa tremenda. [/color][/font][/I]

By the time you are done with the shipping prices, you may find the pen could have been serviced by someone nearby. I see pen restorers from England in eBay frequently, and you may find some help on the neighboring isle. Some of our other UK members may be along to give recommendations.

Buzz

Yeah, but I'm in Ireland. There seems to be only one shop, and it's about a three hour drive from where I am. That said, I am going to scout through the UK forum for recommendations, since it seems the closest good alternative, and I have a lot of faith in the craftsmanship there.

Yeah, but I'm in Ireland. There seems to be only one shop, and it's about a three hour drive from where I am. That said, I am going to scout through the UK forum for recommendations, since it seems the closest good alternative, and I have a lot of faith in the craftsmanship there.

Try member Eckiethump.

But a hero 616 on amazon for 93p and a nail polishing block for about a pound. Watch some youtube vids and have a practice. I got a lamy al-star with the same problem, took 10 seconds to fix. Just try on cheap stuff first. Also you can learn to smooth it to your preference.

Bluey......"""I don't know why they are so hell bent intent on trying to make them as smooth as possible.""""""

On account all the noobies want butter smooth at all costs and anything that is not butter smooth is no good....according to the thought of many, to most very 'noobie'.

Remember Pelikan went over to fat, blobby semi-nails for the 400/600 for the noobie cross over ham fisted Ball Point Barbarians...who didn't want to learn to write with a fountain pen...unless they could hold it like a ball point.

I think Pelikan sells more ball points and roller balls than those 'strange' fountain pens.

Think of how many posts are where do I find butter smooth, how do I make butter smooth,

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

^

On account all the noobies want butter smooth at all costs and anything that is not butter smooth is no good....according to the thought of many, to most very 'noobie'.

The Chinese and some Japanese pens manage smoothness ok. Edited by Bluey

Sort of like half a peach, I'd imagine. ;)

But I'll talk to the folks I purchased it from. They have unparalleled customer service, it's just that me living in Europe and them being in the US means really awful shipping prices.

Crescent2, I agree that pens should write well straight out of the box. This one *almost* does, but the smallest variation in angle causes the pen to skip, and that seems to me to be a flaw. It's just that I love it and would like to be able to write with it without agonising over the angle.

I would call that a flaw, too. I've been very lucky; almost all of my pens have been good from the beginning.

If you contact the retailer or Kaweco, would it be possible for you to return only the nib unit for replacement instead of the whole pen? Would that help on the shipping cost?

At one time replacement nib units were available on amazon very reasonably, but that's been awhile. If you like the unique finish on your particular pen, and shipping it back or to be worked on is too cost prohibitive, buying a new nib might be another option (although it's a shame you'd need to do so for a brand new pen.) In any case, good luck with your little Liliput.

...It writes very well, but only at a certain angle. At all others, it skips...

...pens should write well straight out of the box. This one *almost* does, but the smallest variation in angle causes the pen to skip, and that seems to me to be a flaw. It's just that I love it and would like to be able to write with it without agonising over the angle.

In 2 posts you mention writing angle.

Do you mean vertical angle of pen to page? An fp is meant to be held at a lower angle than bp or rb or pencil.

Do you mean angle when pen is rolled side to side while writing? An fp needs to be held so both tines stay on the page while writing or the pen will skip. Bp or rb or pencil can be rolled.

If either of those are the problem, practice holding the pen consistently. Or consider a student pen, they tend to have tipping in more of an overall ball shape.

Cattar, yes, but this pen is far more sensitive to angle than any other I own. What I mean is that I can get it writing quite nicely - I'm not new to fps - but if I lift my hand from the page, it takes a while to get it writing properly again. No other pen I own is quite this finicky. I'm a bit scared of trying to tune it myself, even with the helpful vids I've seen online, because I really don't know what I'm doing there.

Normally, a pen is best when it finds it's own angle behind the big index knuckle it wants to 'rest' at, be that 45 degrees right after the big index knuckle or 40 degrees at the start of the web of the thumb.

If the pen is very heavy or very long...or a large pen that is posted, a pen may want to rest in the pit of the web of the thumb.

By letting a pen find it's own angle of 'rest', one needs much less pressure....than if one stubbornly maintains one angle only for holding a fountain pen.

The angle of the nib geometry has much to do of 'where a pen wants to rest'. If that is off to how you normally hold a fountain pen....It could be why that pen is so finicky when held by you Catter.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.