International Klein Blue

Scriptorius

Do any of you folks know whether there's a blue ink for fountain pens that rivals the intensity of that eye-searing Ultramarine Blue from the 60's called International Klein Blue? Noodler's Baystate Blue is the closest I've seen, but that stuff can eat up a pen, so it's out of the running. I'd love to hear your suggestions if you another bottled ink that would match it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Klein_Blue

Interesting side note: Oscar-winning actor Eddie Redmayne wrote his dissertation on IKB when he studied Art History at Cambridge.

Thanks,

Scriptorius

post-133236-0-20211600-1481856485.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Scriptorius

• lapis

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MCN:

I'll have to request a sample of the Asa Blue because what I'm seeing online doesn't appear very close. It could be the result of a bad photo or bad monitor calibration. The Baystate Blue in the second photo however looks nearly dead on to me and quite a bit removed from Asa Blue. I will get a sample though. I just wish the Baystate were fountain pen friendly.

f713b5e1415ad2be2dd342311e0b0f74.jpg

IKB:

http://www.inksandpens.com/content/images/2015/09/IMG_5211.jpg

Or possibly J. Herbin's Eclat de Saphir:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THM4PuXE0SI/AAAAAAAAA0U/agqF1URlMWQ/s1600/inksplatter_resized.jpg

What about Visconti Blue in a high dosage? I think it could be a match.

Good idea! Yes, V's Blue is almost exactly the same hue, intensity and "purity" but sill a notch less illuminating than the brilliant part in the uppermost image in this thread.

Whew

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Someone started a thread a couple of years ago about IKB. There may be some other suggestions there beyond what other people have come up with so far here.

On my screen, the image you posted made me immediately think of Eclat de Saphir, or possibly Private Reserve Cobalt Blue. Nothing I have is as eye-popping as Bay State Blue, but I don't know how close the color is.

I'm wondering if you can match IKB to a specific Pantone color -- that would give you a good starting point too compare inks on different types of paper to the Pantone (and then, by extrapolation, to IKB).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstianedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Having spent quite a lot of time in the last several years --

a ) trying to nail down exactly what colour Parker Penman Sapphire is; and

b ) trying to duplicate it

I have concluded that the colour you have is what comes out of your pen/brush/spray-gun and onto your paper/canvas/brick wall today.

Tomorrow it will be a different colour.

Be at peace with this.

It is also far more difficult trying to decide that the colour in this digital image matches the colour in that digital image. It is like trying to herd a bunch of cats through a dog show.

Just to illustrate, click on the linky to see a bunch of different images, all purporting to be Klein Blue --

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=International+klein+blue&client=opera&hs=N4Z&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi23Nf1jPvQAhUIWLwKHVXNDFMQsAQIJg

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

The problem as mentioned in the linked thread is a swab of ink looks very different than the same ink out of a pen.

This is because the pen's ink line is thinner and has the white of the paper which affects your eye's perception of the color of the ink.

This is the same problem I have when I use a medium shade ink in an EF nib, the ink then looks faded and washed out. Though if I use a magnifier, the color of the ink out of the EF nib is the same as out of a M nib.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/slides/06-Akkerman.jpg

This mix with Sargasso Sea is awesome.http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/12-December/slides/2016-12-12-12-20-56.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I don't think Visconti is bright enough.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/slides/2012-02-25_01_Visconti.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

And once again, here is BSB which is amazing.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/slides/2014-Ink_127-BSB.jpg

Here is Noodler's Blue.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/slides/Noodlers_Blue.jpg