Determining What Ink To Use

Allsop

1. Yes - certain inks do better in different pens. Trial and error is the best way to start, eventually you'll be able to make some educated guesses.

2. I love Sailor's inks. They have such wonderful colors and behave beautifully. Pilot Iroshizuku runs a close second.

3. Right now, I'm most taken with Sailor Bung Box 4B, Sailor Bung Box Sapphire, and Lamy Dark Lilac. I don't usually much like Lamy's inks, but Dark Lilac is spectacular. I've been using it on everything, even expense reports!

Aurora Optima Nero Perla M | Eversharp Skyline Blue Flexible F | Franklin-Christoph 31 Purpurae Fine SIG | Franklin-Christoph 45 IPO Coco Pearl Medium Stub | Franklin-Christoph 45 Antique Glass MCI | Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 Italian Ice MCI | Lamy 2000 F | Lamy 2000 M | Lamy Studio Violet Steel F | Lamy Studio Wild Rubin 14k FM (Custom Ground) | Montblanc Meisterstuck Mozart Solitaire Doue Sterling Silver 925 M | Namiki Vanishing Point Faceted M | Parker Duofold Senior Green Stripe (1941 - 1948) Flexible F | Parker Vacumatic Junior Green F | Pelikan M200 Traditional Black F | Pelikan M215 Rings F | Pelikan M400 White Tortoise EF | Pilot CH 92 Blue FM | Pilot CH 92 Clear M | Pilot Decimo Violet F | Pilot Metropolitan Black Crocodile F | Pilot Metropolitan Silver M | Pilot Vanishing Point Matte Black B Architect | Pilot Vanishing Point Raden Water Surface F | Platinum Century 3776 Chartres Blue SF | Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black H-M | Sailor Sapporo Violet H-FM | TWSBI Eco Black M | TWSBI Eco Clear F | TWSBI Vac 700 0.7 CI (Custom Ground)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Allsop

• AndyYNWA

• praxim

• inkstainedruth

1) Is it true that an ink that suits one pen may not be the best for another? If this is the case how do you find out which is best for a particular pen?

​This has been my experience. I suggest picking a very standard ink and paper as a baseline for testing. I use Waterman's Serenity Blue and Double-A printer paper (occasionally Rhodia, as well). Fill the pen with your baseline ink and see how it works with your baseline paper and anything you might use daily - cheap copier paper, notebooks, etc). I would follow AC12's suggestions...if the pen is too wet, clean it out and try Pelikan. I suggest Royal Blue or Black. Other inks vary in wetness/dryness and there's plenty of advice on this forum about them.

2) What ink manufacturer do folk like most for different coloured inks? (Up until now I have always used Mont Blank Black but feeling adventurous would like to change colours).

I'd say Noodler's and Diamine. When you find an ink that you think you might like, I would look at ink swatches and check ink reviews to see how the ink looks on paper and how easy they are to use. Some inks are difficult to use and hard to clean...user comments can help you with that.

i second the idea of getting samples of inks - Goulet pens and Anderson pens in the US and Pure Pens in the UK sell samples. Between them, you can get a pretty large range of ink samples.

I want to second AC12's comments on Liberty's Elysium. I love the color of this ink and it worked great in a Pelikan M200 with a Binderized EF nib. I put it in a Sheaffer Triumph-nib (F) lever-filler from the 1940's and it dries a bit in the pen, is a hard starter and stains the nib. When I get it flowing, it's beautiful.

3) What is your favourite ink for general purpose usage? Only one proviso it must be ne that will not harm any fountain pen.

Serenity Blue for testing and practicing handwriting, but if I had to pick only one ink it would be Pelikan Blue-Black. I sometimes mix it in equal parts with Pelikan Royal Blue - to make a somewhat bluer blue-black. Good luck and enjoy the journey!

I tend to start with a new pen and an ink that usually just works and I know fairly well, like Diamine Ancient Copper. Then I try different papers that I'll be using with the pen and see see how it behaves. If it behaves well I'll just select an equally well-behaved ink in the colour I want for that pen. If it isn't smooth enough and the nib doesn't seem to need adjustment I'll try a more lubricated ink. If it gushes I'll try a drier ink. When trying new inks, or looking for different properties I search or ask here or look at Goulet pens inks by property, or google. You can also read pen reviews and see how some inks look with other people's version of the pen and what issues they ran into, if any.

Favourite right now?Iroshizuku Shin-Kai or Diamine Oxblood.

For my very first foray into the world of non-black inks I have ordered a bottle of Graf von Faber-Castell Moss Green from The Writing Desk. Received an email that it is on its way so can't wait to use it!

“They took my books because my message was love.

They took my pen because my words were love.

Then they took my voice because my song was love.

Soon they’ll take myself so nothing remains.

But they don’t know that when I'm gone my love will stay.” Kamand Kojouri

Not to bias you either for or against, but I love my GvFC Moss Green.

X

Not to bias you either for or against, but I love my GvFC Moss Green.

That is reassuring. :) Is it normal to anticipate the arrival of a new bottle of ink with so much excitement mingled with a touch of nervousness that I am now?

Perfectly! :D

Thank goodness for that!

-snip-

Is it normal to anticipate the arrival of a new bottle of ink with so much excitement mingled with a touch of nervousness that I am now?

YES! :D

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

My only worry now is that this may become addictive, it is bad enough coveting pens let alone inks as well!

My only worry now is that this may become addictive, it is bad enough coveting pens let alone inks as well!

The inks are the fun part of the hobby, and just as expensive... ;)

YNWA - JFT97

That is reassuring. :) Is it normal to anticipate the arrival of a new bottle of ink with so much excitement mingled with a touch of nervousness that I am now?

Hi,

Curiosity may have killed the cat, but Satisfaction brought him back. :)

At times the intervention of a responsible adult who can overesee / moderate up- intake can be beneficial. (Check you browser app to determine if parental controls were invoked by ADM.)

Kindly consider undertaking an extensive exploration of any one ink before choosing the next inky stepping stone.

My preferred volume of an 'ink sample' is at least 15ml.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

It\s arrived! Now to try it out with extensive usage, first try I love the colour and so smooth!

It\s arrived! Now to try it out with extensive usage, first try I love the colour and so smooth!

:D :D :D

YNWA - JFT97