None Of The Starter Pens Cut It

J85909266

Please define 'standard design shapes' and 'does everything the standard way'. What do these things mean? Do they even have any meaning?

Yeah, those are fair questions. I'm just thinking something without the kind of features that could be seen as quirky or unique, and which are sure to annoy some users. But then I guess quirkiness and uniqueness are probably amongst the things that actually sell pens (and things I might see as 'standard' would surely annoy other people). I suspect a Lamy Plain Cigar probably wouldn't sell as well as a Lamy Safari. (Can you tell I don't work in design or marketing? ;) )

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J85909266

• sirach

• Sailor Kenshin

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

Parker Vector?

Parker Frontier/Im?

Those are more generically shaped. Admittedly I despise all three pens, but lots of people seem happy with them.

I'd imagine if somebody has a problem with the step between the barrel and section on a Pilot MB, then there's no way they'll be able to handle a vector...

How about a Nemosine Singularity. Don't have one, but lots of people seem to love them. The seem to have a nice medium, if you not expecting Pelikan, Faber Castell, or Visconti smoothness.

I think the OP might have an interesting point (that, as he says, has nothing to do with him needing a new starter pen).

The first pen that came to mind when I read the original post was Sheaffer NoNonsense, of course! But then I realized that the NN has been out of production for years, except in a rather unfortunate calligraphy-set version. Admittedly it used Sheaffer rather than International cartridges, but they were readily available when the NN was in production. So why is there nothing as straightforward as the NN today?

I think there are reasons. First, most of the demand for school pens comes, unsurprisingly, from places that still require fountain pens in school. Those are mostly in Europe and India. European school pens are dominated by the Germans' peculiar concepts about how a section should be shaped. And Indian school pens are limited by the extremely low price point at which they must sell. Japan does have some school pens too, but the ones I have seen are so deeply into the particularly Japanese sense of cuteness that they are also rather beside the point.

That leaves pens intended for adults who are just entering the fountain-pen affliction. And I think that today manufacturers believe that entry-level adults are more likely to be attracted to low-priced bling than to great writing qualities and unassuming design. So entry-priced, non-school pens coming from European and Asian vendors seem to tune for striking appearance rather than the kind of simple utility after which the OP is inquiring. I can't think of a pen currently in production that says to me "it's all about your writing" rather then "ooh, shiny!"

ron

The Platinum Preppy is just like the no-nonsense, with maybe cheaper plastic. The Pilot V-Pen (or Varsity in USA) is another contender. I would say both are about writing and not about bling

I think the OP might have an interesting point (that, as he says, has nothing to do with him needing a new starter pen).

The first pen that came to mind when I read the original post was Sheaffer NoNonsense, of course! But then I realized that the NN has been out of production for years, except in a rather unfortunate calligraphy-set version. Admittedly it used Sheaffer rather than International cartridges, but they were readily available when the NN was in production. So why is there nothing as straightforward as the NN today?

I think there are reasons. First, most of the demand for school pens comes, unsurprisingly, from places that still require fountain pens in school. Those are mostly in Europe and India. European school pens are dominated by the Germans' peculiar concepts about how a section should be shaped. And Indian school pens are limited by the extremely low price point at which they must sell. Japan does have some school pens too, but the ones I have seen are so deeply into the particularly Japanese sense of cuteness that they are also rather beside the point.

That leaves pens intended for adults who are just entering the fountain-pen affliction. And I think that today manufacturers believe that entry-level adults are more likely to be attracted to low-priced bling than to great writing qualities and unassuming design. So entry-priced, non-school pens coming from European and Asian vendors seem to tune for striking appearance rather than the kind of simple utility after which the OP is inquiring. I can't think of a pen currently in production that says to me "it's all about your writing" rather then "ooh, shiny!"

ron

Thank you for apt reading comprehension and ability to hear another's point of view without becoming incomprehensibly defensive.

I simply feel there is a gap in the market for a high quality, low-priced fountain pen that focuses on function and form rather than aesthetics, and that uses the highly versatile standard international C/C system.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Another pen I might suggest is a Kaigelu 316, which is within your budget. I have one and it works beautifully and it is a nice looking pen...looks like a Parker Duofold. Check it out here: http://www.isellpens.com/Kaigelu-316-White-Veined-Fountain-Pen-p/k316whfp.htm. I'd suggest that you check out the pen reviews here on FPN for a pen you are interested in. If there are several reviews for a given pen look at them all and sort of average out what is said.

Parker 45 as a semi-vintage pen is eminently reasonable in price. Common, often found in flea markets and charity shops, good nib, smooth lines, but might just be a tad slender for some.

No Nonsense? Absolutely! Lovely pen, based on flat-tops of the classic period, decent nibs (particularly the calligraphy version) and again, findable all over the place. Like the P45, pretty common.

Or could I suggest the Waterman Kultur. Try amazon.fr to get them for fourteen euros, which is not much (don't know how international postage works out, though) - though the colours of the ones currently available are rather lurid.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

I think there should be a sturdy, thick, round starter pen that takes standard international cartridges/converters and has decent build quality with no design hiccups.

Am I truly alone, here?

No...I would probably like one of those, too.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I agree with you on the Metropolitan and the Loom, I have both and can't use them for the reasons you state

I find the 78g a decent size and like using it, but i do like a thinner pen.

I have also had good luck with the Jinhao X450/X750.

For starter pens, it is a tough market to get something unversally accepted.

The Dollar 717i is a piston filler, decent build quality, and can be had in a medium nib, all for about £3. It might be a bit thin for you, but I love that pen.

For less than $30, which is about £23 you will struggle to get a pen that takes international carts, looks and operates nicely, apart from Chinese pens. (That is still in production)

The Kaweco Sport is about that price, takes international carts and writes well.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Ok..... how about Italix Parson's Essential £32. http://www.mrpen.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d184.html I believe it even takes international carts.

http://www.mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/t_parsons%20new%20ring.png

Slightly above the price limit, but a lot of people do like those.

I did have a lot of issues with mine drying out when writing. Took a lot of fiddling and then eventually hacking the feed to widen the ink channel to get it to write even reasonably well.

But I think my experience was isolated

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Thank you for apt reading comprehension and ability to hear another's point of view without becoming incomprehensibly defensive.

I simply feel there is a gap in the market for a high quality, low-priced fountain pen that focuses on function and form rather than aesthetics, and that uses the highly versatile standard international C/C system.

That is kind of offensive.... there have been a LOT of suggestions given. I think if what you want is a loom/safari hybrid..... go make one. There are companies that would make one for you, but it would cost more than 30$. Generally the point of a starter pen is to get started in fountain pens (hence the triangle on so many... forces you to use it the right side up) and to give you an idea of what you want in a more expensive pen.... do you want it skinnier, do you want it heavier, do you want it longer, etc... If you still don't like the ones that this wonderful community suggested.... go into business and start making starter pens... but it is a large market and don't insult all the companies that DO make starter pens... there are a LOT of options.

Ideally, this pen would be made by a large, established company with a strong international market.

If the Pilot Prera had a more reasonable price in non-Japanese markets ($25 to $35), took standard international c/c and were about a full size larger, it would be a pretty good example of what I feel the market is missing.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

That is kind of offensive.... there have been a LOT of suggestions given. I think if what you want is a loom/safari hybrid..... go make one. There are companies that would make one for you, but it would cost more than 30$. Generally the point of a starter pen is to get started in fountain pens (hence the triangle on so many... forces you to use it the right side up) and to give you an idea of what you want in a more expensive pen.... do you want it skinnier, do you want it heavier, do you want it longer, etc... If you still don't like the ones that this wonderful community suggested.... go into business and start making starter pens... but it is a large market and don't insult all the companies that DO make starter pens... there are a LOT of options.

Most of the suggestions are completely pointless because this is not a suggestion thread. I have stated multiple times that I am not in the market for beginner fountain pens. This topic is an opinion based on purchasing many such pens when I was a beginner, and finding that all of them had flaws or design quirks that are easily avoidable and would make for a more well rounded pen.

This thread is intended to be a discussion on the market and design trends, not a "What Pen Should I Buy?"

Unfortunately, almost nobody seemed to read or understand the intent of the topic. Or worse, they simply gave a defensive, useless response regarding people having different preferences, as if I don't know that.

Some pens, by excellent design, are able to offend almost no ergonomic or visual preference.

- Joe

So you want to complain.... now I understand...

I like fountain pens, and I am glad there are still companies that make them for those of us that enjoy them.

I think perhaps then, the pen for you....

http://www.srdailey.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/pilot_07-blk1.jpg

Edited by sirach

No, you are definitely still lost...

- Joe

I'd suggest you watch for an Esterbrook J. Vintage pens, if they have been refurbished are great as users and also often very attractive. You can pick up an Esterbrook for from $35-$55.00. Usually the price difference is because of the nib. I have four of them and if anything goes wrong it is among the easiest pens to repair and the nib units are interchangeable, so if you don't like one nib look for one you like better and just screw out the old one and in with the new. You will often see them in the classifieds here on FPN, such as this one; https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/classifieds/item/33731-reduced-again-flexible-vintage-pens-inkvue-pencil/#overview.

Good luck

Absolutely agree with linearM...millions of elementary school children learned to write cursive with Esterbrook pens in the '40s and '50s with nary a problem. I think it's a primo starter pen and beats out any modern writing instrument on the market...and they continue to be price friendly to the average consumer.