Waiting-For-A-Pen Coping Mechanisms

requiescat

The single pen I have on order is one from Scriptorium Pens. I have been hungrily following the Instagram waiting for mine to come up--if I have this figured out, it's probably another month.

How do you cope with waiting? I am not buying another fountain pen (I'm saving up for a Photoshop/digital painting class and/or Orchestral Tools' Berlin Strings), but I may pounce on some of the Diamine shimmer inks when they come up. Because willpower only goes so far. :P

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Erasmus

• northstar

• Sandy1

• requiescat

Absolutely. Mine ended up being the slow acquisition of victorian brass desk items... It started with an inkwell... Now only a blotter remains. Ink samples are the best idea though IMO. A lot of fun from existing pens can be had that way while waiting.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Unfortunately, my coping mechanism seems to be looking at other pens. Which makes me buy more pens. It's a vicious circle. Right now I have 3 en route, and it wouldn't have happened had I not bought the first.

Unfortunately, my coping mechanism seems to be looking at other pens. Which makes me buy more pens. It's a vicious circle. Right now I have 3 en route, and it wouldn't have happened had I not bought the first.

+1

While waiting for a good pen i trend to buy a lot of cheap pens off the bay. While waiting for the Chinese pens i look at vintages. And so the cycle continues..

A lifelong FP user...

Exactly. If I make a purchase and it hasn't arrived, it's like I haven't really bought anything. Then after a couple purchases, it becomes a race...which one will arrive first!

I find that I start looking at other pens/suppliers and thinking "Did I make the right decision? Did I buy the wrong pen? Oh, woe, have I wasted my money?". So, basically, my coping mechanism is despondency.

Usually ends when the new pen arrives.

Owen

I found I can cope by shopping, whether it be pens, pencils, pen and pencil accessories, or PC parts to upgrade my desktop. Thinking about your next acquisition could take your mind off your current one

Don't mind me, I like to ramble... A LOT

+1

While waiting for a good pen i trend to buy a lot of cheap pens off the bay. While waiting for the Chinese pens i look at vintages. And so the cycle continues..

Deepak, I do exactly like you do!!

It is a never ending story.

Your parcel leaves monday ;)

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

:) http://www.theperfectlyhappyman.com/uploads/guinness-draught.jpg

Lol.

+1 to both buying ink samples and buying cheap chinese pens. I've used both methods in the past and it's very soothing to get parcels in the mail even if it's not the parcel that you really want. Waiting for my pen to come up in Renee's queue was tough, and it surprisingly didn't get easier when she started on my pen. If anything I got more obsessive in refreshing Instagram.

My best recommendation is to get busy doing something else. Move house maybe. Plan a wedding. Build a replica of Hogwarts out of Popsicle sticks. XD

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

I research the pen I bought to death and hope I don't run out of internet before the pen arrives. Otherwise I have to start looking for more pens. :)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Start writing/journaling.

Work on improving your handwriting, write AT LEAST 1 HOUR a day, and try even more.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Hi,

So far it seems that when I've ordered pen/s, then do the usual shadow chase through whatever tracking data might be available, I'm better off when I'm called away: my key holder has the joy of dealing with its arrival and I am encouraged to make my away time as brief as possible - I'd rather come to it than it come to me, though I get along well with the Royal Mail.

Pen arrival caught me on the back foot a few times, when I thought it would arrive within weeks/months, but came into my hands within ten days or so. Took my breath away it did.

(Thanks again to Mr Zorn for the Balance. :thumbup: )

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I used to spend the pen-waiting time by going out and getting ink, but that has now got to the point where my ink collection has got "slightly excessive" if that is an acceptable term here on FPN?

Maybe try shopping for paper while waiting for a pen? I'm lucky to have a great local store with a huge paper menu (wonderpens), and on one of those trips accidntally got into Midori. Next thing I knew, I was anxiously awaiting the Pan-Am Blue cover and I had forgotten all about the pen I was waiting for... I may have also purchased more Midori, Life and Rhodia books in a matter of days, so it can be a little addictive, but hey - you are not going to be checking the postal tracking website every 10 minutes!

Hello,

Well I am waiting for not 1, not 2, but 12 pens, not mentioning the 12-13 bottles of ink, so are you guys suggesting I should go out and order another 12 pens while waiting for the other ones to be delivered?????

My mum always warned me of bad company and I never listened.

Best regards.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

<louie depalma>

For every day I have to wait for a pen, I commit an atrocity.

</louie depalma>

Paraphrased, of course. ;)

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

Start writing/journaling.

Work on improving your handwriting, write AT LEAST 1 HOUR a day, and try even more.

I could stand to have better handwriting, but I'm already a writer by profession and I already journal--the thought of sitting down to do even more writing after I've done the day's work is kind of crushing. Usually I go off and do something completely unrelated to writing! Maybe I should start going for walks again now that the weather is no longer egregiously hot. :) (I live in Louisiana but managed to acclimate myself to Boston's climate when I lived there some years ago, whoops. I am not good at hot weather.)

Alternately, maybe I can cope with the wait by sketching with the pens I already have--my Waterman 52V in particular is fantastic for gesture drawing.

Hello,

Well I am waiting for not 1, not 2, but 12 pens, not mentioning the 12-13 bottles of ink, so are you guys suggesting I should go out and order another 12 pens while waiting for the other ones to be delivered?????

My mum always warned me of bad company and I never listened.

Best regards.

Hi,

No doubt that your mum is most correct, and that you are among friends on FPN.

A dozen pens and a dozen inks seems just a bit de trop, but I reckon vagaries of delivery in your region tend to make one put all their eggs in one basket, then watch that basket very carefully. FedEx to a GPS coordinate can be done, though a Diplomatic Pouch is a hair more reliable. :)

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.