I Need A Wet Ink

Calabria

That old dark Omas blue is something. I just found some of this. I am going to go back and get whatever else they have of it on their shelf. Really good stuff.

you're not going to disclose your source are you? ;)

I have this from the days when I was in love with OMAS pens, and it worked very well to add some oomph to an EF I had ground for a Pelikan; after a few months I switched to other inks, the nib had relaxed by then

Btw I also found that a Sailor EF wanted a dark ink, the Sailor standard blue just was too light in that fine line. I'm using black for now

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Calabria

• ink-syringe

• Nomad

• DrDebG

The wettest ink I have had the misfortune to use is the 1670 Bleu Ocean. Not the new version with the gold particles (I haven't used that yet) but the first formulation. It is so wet that I can't use it in anything other than extra fine nibs. I once had the idea of filling my M1000 with it, wrote 5-6 sentences, flushed the ink. It is so wet that it is unusable.

I find that there is a difference between well lubricated inks and wet inks. Wet inks are not necessarily gliding across the page as a lubricated ink will, lubricated inks have a somewhat "oily" feel to them if that makes any sense. The difference is hard to explain but I wouldn't call the 1670 blue as a well lubricated ink.

Diamine Sargasso Sea is a very well lubricated ink that is also a bit wetter than average. Actually you might want to give that one a try, I always use it in stubborn pens.

Diamine Bilberry, in my experience, is not a very wet ink. It is not dry but it is not wet either, it is somewhere in the middle.

The most lubricated ink that I have had the misfortune of using is Private Reserve Electric DC Blue. Writing with that ink was a joyful experience, it will make your pen feel smoother than it already is. But because it is so lubricated the ink has a tendency to get to places where it's not supposed to get to. I have stopped using it simply because of this.

If I were in your position, I would first try to use Diamine Sargasso Sea instead of a purely wet ink like 1670 blue. I'm willing to bet that it will be a solution to your flow problems. If not try 1670 blue. If you still find that you would like more, PR Electric DC Blue.

Best of luck!

you're not going to disclose your source are you? ;)

I have this from the days when I was in love with OMAS pens, and it worked very well to add some oomph to an EF I had ground for a Pelikan; after a few months I switched to other inks, the nib had relaxed by then

After a really rough day here on the FPN ink forums (no help on a Sailor ink query and then just having my whole thread yanked. grumble grumble) I am not feeling all that sporting.

But on the off chance they have more that one more bottle of that magical writing fluid, I will PM you. Old School dark Omas Blue is bonkers, it has great flow and is a really nice color and gives me crazy sheen. I know they have one more bottle but I don't know if they have much beyond that. The others they have marked blue in the old black boxes are the ugly mis-labled turquoise.

I have the Old dark Omas blue in my Sheaffer Imperial now and it is a joy. What a nice ink.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

After a really rough day here on the FPN ink forums (no help on a Sailor ink query and then just having my whole thread yanked. grumble grumble) I am not feeling all that sporting.

But on the off chance they have more that one more bottle of that magical writing fluid, I will PM you. Old School dark Omas Blue is bonkers, it has great flow and is a really nice color and gives me crazy sheen. I know they have one more bottle but I don't know if they have much beyond that. The others they have marked blue in the old black boxes are the ugly mis-labled turquoise.

I have the Old dark Omas blue in my Sheaffer Imperial now and it is a joy. What a nice ink.

thanks! I used to get lucky with old school stationary stores in Italy, but now they all seem

to have gone out of business and been replaced by boutiques selling fancy leather goods.

I don't know exactly where my bottle of OMAS blue comes from, but it has a look that I might describe as "burnt blue" if such a thing existed

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

The wettest ink I have had the misfortune to use is the 1670 Bleu Ocean. Not the new version with the gold particles (I haven't used that yet) but the first formulation. It is so wet that I can't use it in anything other than extra fine nibs. I once had the idea of filling my M1000 with it, wrote 5-6 sentences, flushed the ink. It is so wet that it is unusable.

I find that there is a difference between well lubricated inks and wet inks. Wet inks are not necessarily gliding across the page as a lubricated ink will, lubricated inks have a somewhat "oily" feel to them if that makes any sense. The difference is hard to explain but I wouldn't call the 1670 blue as a well lubricated ink.

Diamine Sargasso Sea is a very well lubricated ink that is also a bit wetter than average. Actually you might want to give that one a try, I always use it in stubborn pens.

Diamine Bilberry, in my experience, is not a very wet ink. It is not dry but it is not wet either, it is somewhere in the middle.

The most lubricated ink that I have had the misfortune of using is Private Reserve Electric DC Blue. Writing with that ink was a joyful experience, it will make your pen feel smoother than it already is. But because it is so lubricated the ink has a tendency to get to places where it's not supposed to get to. I have stopped using it simply because of this.

If I were in your position, I would first try to use Diamine Sargasso Sea instead of a purely wet ink like 1670 blue. I'm willing to bet that it will be a solution to your flow problems. If not try 1670 blue. If you still find that you would like more, PR Electric DC Blue.

Best of luck!

I think you did a great job of explaining the difference between "wet" and "lubricating" - which I prefer to call "glide" since "lubricating" is used by ink manufacturers do describe inks that lubricate the pistons.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY