Pelikan Binde?

watch_art

Yes. I do. :)

http://newtonpens.com/pen-modifications/

Cutting the green off the first one. The binde was split at the end, so we were really doing a good thing. :)20150530_150748.jpg?w=700

Cut most of the blue binde off the second one. This one was stained a little but otherwise fine.I cut down so far and was able to just peel it off with my fingernail. Very neat!

20150611_095416.jpg?w=700

The parts. I cut the binde by itself on a special holder that I made. I test fit on the Pel barrel at the very end, and then to make sure the cap will post on the back.

20150611_100006.jpg?w=700

Time for final sanding at the end.

20150611_114406.jpg?w=700

20150611_115448.jpg?w=700

lizard-cross-hatch.jpg?w=632

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• PAKMAN

• RMN

• bbycrts

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Messing with the factory appearance is not for me as I'm a purist at heart but that first picture especially is very beautiful. Great work. Thanks for sharing!

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Agree! The first is exquisite! WANT!

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I actual prefer the second one. Makes me sort of think of of malachite.

So what are the bindes actually made of (please don't say Con-tact paper... :blush:)?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I actual prefer the second one. Makes me sort of think of of malachite.

So what are the bindes actually made of (please don't say Con-tact paper... :blush:)?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

It's called malachite actually. :)

And no - there's no contact paper. The original celluloid sleeve was cut off and replaced with a new one. The lizard skin is a vintage celluloid, and the other one is called trustone.

http://thegoldennib.com/turning-blanks/tru-stone.html

What a clever alternative to a damaged pen! :yikes:

Edited by haruka337

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Hey peeps… I admit this is mine. Here are some photos of the original M800 binde. Pen is a little worn but otherwise fine… Bought cheap on eBay for this experiment with Shawn, who I turned to after not getting any responses from Chris Burton. Shawn has been awesome to deal with on this. He’s got an M805 of mine that has stained binde material that we are doing a similar treatment to, but with a different vintage celluloid (cellulose acetate).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

Both stunning pens! I initially thought you had discovered some rare prototype pens.

The lizard one is particularly nice in my eyes, I wish Pelikan would produce a similar model.

I gotta get me a used 800 to send to Shawn!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Stunning.............imagine an M800 with an binde of tigereye-celluloid........

Let me be the first to say that such a treatment on 1930's or 40's vintage red tortoise 100, or a Toledo would be sacrilege (because, you know, for those pens the binde is the thing) but when you consider how many all black, 400/600/800 Pelikans there are in this world, ... well then, why not? Unless you are that rare person who thinks an all black Pelikan pen is the most beautiful think you could possibly imagine then I think it is reasonable to look at modifications such as these and ask your self, why not? You can have an unique pen which speaks to your heart, and knocks your eye out, remember the pen is for you. The world of FP's will be no worse for r the loss of a few black pens.

Think about all the hot rods you haves seen in your life, and they aren't making '40 ford coupes anymore, but tomorrow Pelikan will pump out another 1,482 black pens, just like they did yesterday.

in case it is not obvious, I approve, within the limits I have suggested. I have my own custom Binde Pelikan M600 and I love it.

13299571595_3db085b537_z.jpg

13299722303_17410ced6d_z.jpg

Stunning.............imagine an M800 with an binde of tigereye-celluloid........

This is not a very good photo (and Shawn, I hope you don't mind me showing some of Chris's work) but here is a M1000 I had Chris do in the Sheaffer modern tigereye many years ago.

http://gergyor.com/images/1000_60_149.jpg

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.