Vintage Conway Stewart 58 Nib/feed Issue?

adyf

I have a vintage CS 58 that has started to drop ink on the page. When you hold it nib down you can see the ink begin to well up between the nib and feed and then it runs to the tip of the feed and then down to the tip of the nib and then a droplet forms.

My first thought is that perhaps the feed requires to be heat set closer to the nib. Would that involve nib and feed removal? If so, is the section friction fit on these pens?

My second thought and it could be way off, is wondering if the sac may be on it's way out although it still seems to take on ink ok.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adyf

• lcoldfield

• mallymal1

Top Posters In This Topic

The symptoms suggest a pinhole in the end of the sac. I wonder if one of the new silicone sacs has been used as these are occasionally pinholed.

The nib/feed fitting can be checked with a piece of paper - can it be inserted between the nib and the feed? If not there is no need for adjustment.

Laurence

The symptoms suggest a pinhole in the end of the sac. I wonder if one of the new silicone sacs has been used as these are occasionally pinholed.

The nib/feed fitting can be checked with a piece of paper - can it be inserted between the nib and the feed? If not there is no need for adjustment.

Laurence

Hi Laurence, thanks for your reply. I'll replace the sac first before tweaking the nib and feed.

Do you know the correct sac size for a CS 58 please? I've seen reference to both 18 and 20.

Friction fit section...

I think I've used 16's in a 58, but that's nothing to go by. :D

I have no idea which size is 'correct'. I would use an 18 because this seems to be the largest size that can be inserted in the barrel without some distortion of the sac.

Laurence