Remove nib from feed on a Parker 75

christob

Is it easy to remove the nib from the feed of a Parker 75? It looks like it should just slide off, but it seems like force is needed and I wouldnt want to be pushing in the wrong direction. (My reason for asking is that I have received a pen with what looks like a bit of paper stuck under one of the tines.)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sheafferkid

• christob

• Lemur

• George

It should slid off with just a little pull. If it does not, there might be dry ink glueing it. Soak and retry.

The problem with ideas is that good ideas and bad ideas look about the same until you put them into practice.

Some 75 nibs are very tight on their feeds, and some of the later ones, especially the ones of French manufacture, are secured with an adhesive that will soften a little under gentle heat -- NOT ENOUGH TO SOFTEN THE FEED, PLEASE! smile.gif I made a special tool that helps me to dismount these nibs.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

Thank you for your kind replies and tips.

The nib seems to have holding tabs though there wasn´t anything in the track for them to hold round. It came of nicely helped by the old "fasten sticky tape on item to be pulled off, and then pull on the tape"-trick. It looks like there may be both glue and ink residue on the feed despite previous long amonia soaks.

[added] Complete success. The pen is now all it should be.

Edited by christob

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a Parker 75 and want to get the nib off for cleaning purposes. So it slides forwards nib-point first? Whats the best way to grip the darn nib? I feel as though I might break the feed/breather tube. More tips would be great for me!

Evan

Sheaffer all the way!

75 are durable pens. There arent a lot of parts to break. Just grab the nib with thumb on the top, index at the bottom, and pull. If you think you might try "just one more 'try'" it will break. Almost 99 percent ;) It shouldnt be that hard, because you have an early model. They seem to be a lot easier to get out.

Man! The nib will just not come off. I can't get a good grip on the nib. Richard, what tool do you use to get them off?

Evan

Sheaffer all the way!

• 6 years later...

Hello!

One of my Parker 75 had a fine nib which wasn´t aligned.

I tried to adjust it without removing the nib from the feed without success.

The only way to have the nib aligned was to remove it from the feed.

First I tried to warm the section in warm water (from the tap) and the pull/push the nib

but without success.

Then I took a tool from the Victorinox knife (the capsule opener) as it has smooth edges.

I used this tool to carefully press on the upper part of the nib, on both sides and on the upper side,

This was quite easy and the nib came easy loose and could be removed by using this tool.

As the edges are smooth there is no damage made to the feed or nib.

At the start of this process, place the tool so that it goes "down" and easy rest on the thinner part of the feed,

and apply a gently press on the edge of the nib. Hold the section at the feed as you press with the tool.

Take care so that the pressure is applied at the "lip" of the nib, so that you don´t make any dents on the feed.

I hope this can be helpful to other who must remove the nib, but do this only if absolute necessary.

Before replacing the nig be sure to remove any residuals of "fastener" on the feed.

By using a non-slip plastic (Dycem®) it´s more easy to hold the section during this operation and this also

make the nib replacement easier.

When replacing the nib the use of the "victorinoxtool" is also a nice help when the nib is almost at is secured position.

I´d been using non-slip plastic many years for pen repair and it´s one of the best tools, especially when dismantling pens..

Best wishes from Sweden

I just got a Parker 75 and want to get the nib off for cleaning purposes. So it slides forwards nib-point first? Whats the best way to grip the darn nib? I feel as though I might break the feed/breather tube. More tips would be great for me!

Evan

Unless you have to remove the nib, leave it alone. Just soak or use a USC.

There is a huge risk in damaging the nib and/or feed if the nib does not slide off easily, and replacement nibs are not cheap.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com