• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• phoenixfeder

• ENewton

• Jan2016

This year (2015), they offered the fourth Ink of the Year because, as said, the first issue came out in 2012. Check out the Pelikan site on this. How many are 'offered in the market' depends on when and where you look.

Mike

Edited by lapis

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

An interesting colour and great review, thanks.

Could you compare this to Diamine Grape?

Sorry, I cannot compare Amethyst to Diamine Grape, I don't own Diamine Grape.

Try this on for size....

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/Amethyst%20vs%20Grape.jpg

The way I see it (and my faithful HP Officejet 6700, too), Pelikan's Edelstein AMETHYST is definitely redder. Diamine's GRAPE is bluer and darker.

In a word or three, Diamine's GRAPE also has a higher flow, more lubrication and a higher saturation than Pelikan's Edelstein AMETHYST.

Mike

Interesting to hear that Grape has a higher flow and lubrication. I gave up on Diamine Grape in my fountain pens, because it quickly stopped flowing in two pens, each within about a day of intermittent use. Those same two pens now have Pelikan 4001 Violet in them, and no flow problems. Of course, flow could vary from one Pelikan ink to another.

I admit that I actively search for posts pertaining to Diamine Grape, because I adore the color and wish I could find a way to use the ink. (I do use it with dip pens.) Lapis, can you advise on whether diluting Grape would help the flow? I've also heard that some people add a drop of "detergent" to an ink to increase the lubrication. I suspect that they don't mean dishwashing liquid, which has other ingredients one wouldn't want to add to the mix..

Well, to get back to that wetness/lubrication thing, my old-age defence goes like this.... I (still) have my M800 -- which is a medium wet writer -- filled with Grape, since August 2014. I use it "occasionally" but obviously little enough that it still has some ink in it. And... even after having not written with it for a few days, let alone weeks, it always writes immediately on any paper. I can't say that about a lot of other inks. So, I call it a wet ink, with good lubriction.

As to diluting (with distilled or deionized/filtered water), I have little experience because I'm not really into that. Either it shades or it doesn't (IMO).

But for lubricating, I alway use plain old dishwater detergent. I start off with only 5 or less µl into 10-20 ml of ink. W/a increase that amount later. If you don't have such a medical/scientific pipette, just coat the tip of a toothpick or a pin intead. I've never yet had any problems with any dishwater detergent, even in my P51 aero etc. A dishwater detergent -- even if it is colored -- doesn't have any effect of the color of the ink. Also, none of those agents I've ever used had any bleach in them.

Mike

Try this on for size....

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/Amethyst%20vs%20Grape.jpg

The way I see it (and my faithful HP Officejet 6700, too), Pelikan's Edelstein AMETHYST is definitely redder. Diamine's GRAPE is bluer and darker.

In a word or three, Diamine's GRAPE also has a higher flow, more lubrication and a higher saturation than Pelikan's Edelstein AMETHYST.

Mike

Thanks Mike :thumbup:

• 1 year later...

Very impressed with this ink in a vintage Waterman 0655 pen. The firm-flex nib really brings out some nice qualities in this ink:

fpn_1489454204__2017-03-13_211127.jpg

One of my favorite colors.

But slowly running out of it... :crybaby:

Still looking for replacement, I now see in the thread that Diamine Grape is not it, just ordered a sample.

Anyone who can compare Amethyst with Montblanc Lavender Purple?

Some of the ink mixers who has the secret?

Please....?

One of my favorite colors.

But slowly running out of it... :crybaby:

Still looking for replacement, I now see in the thread that Diamine Grape is not it, just ordered a sample.

Anyone who can compare Amethyst with Montblanc Lavender Purple?

Some of the ink mixers who has the secret?

Please....?

This review of Amethyst has a swab of Lavender Purple for comparison:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/290508-ink-review-pelikan-edelstein-ink-of-the-year-2015-amethyst/

Mike, .............better late than never.

Amethyst shades better than the more saturated Grape. I chase shading inks.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

ENewton, thank you for the link.

It is close.... Maybe I will start some mixing myself

Or I will propose it as Ink of the Year 2019 ... :D