What Snorkel Model Should I Get?

Nathaniel Harter

Daniel, do you know of any that are MARKED as flexible and have the incised line? I am sure there are some out there that are flexible by chance but not marked as such, but I've not seen one that is marked flexible and has an incised line. Not that I've seen every nib out there.

I'll have to check, but as far as I know, there is no such thing as "flexible by chance" with a Sheaffer nib. Sheaffer's manufacturing was not so wildly haphazard that a nib intended to be of a rigid grade would be flexible instead.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kirchh

• Happy Harry

• JonSzanto

• FredRydr

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do recall a flexible stub Triumph nib with incised line and the pen was stickered with that nib style.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer

As anyone who has actually compared a flexible and a rigid nib of the same type would know, they are shaped very differently.

Prove it. Pick the flexible nib/s.

IMG_1547-002.JPG

IMG_1547-002.JPG

Hugh -

You made the claim, so the burden of proof is on you, of course:

Using a 14ct nib as an example the 14ct bit means that the nib contains 58.5% gold by weight, gold being heavy and dense would be less in terms of volume, and as the characteristics of gold remain the same it then becomes clear if you have a flexible nib and an identical rigid nib then it's whats in the other 42.5% of the nib that makes the difference. Making nibs with different characteristics is all about the blend of metals and alloys used hence there is no difference in making the actual nib whether it be flexible or not, triumph or standard.

You have provided no evidence whatsoever for your assertion (and your math is wrong). Similarly, you have failed to provide any evidence that Sheaffer rigid 14K Triumph nibs have nickel in the alloy. Furthermore, Sheaffer's Palladium-Silver nib alloy is now well known, and there is no evidence a different alloy was used for flexible PdAg nibs.

Your claims all fail for lack of support.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

You've to turn the pens with the underside faced up. I want to see the feeds and see which ones have wider spaced combs.

Edited by BeRa

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

You fail..your words not mine, all you need to do is back them up.

As anyone who has actually compared a flexible and a rigid nib of the same type would know, they are shaped very differently.

Might talk the talk but can't walk the walk as the saying goes.

You've to turn the pens with the underside faced up. I want to see the feeds and see which ones have wider spaced combs.

IMG_1548-001.JPG

I couldn't pick the flexible/s without trying them. The point of the exercise as apparently it's easy to do. Anyway good luck, I hope you pick correctly.

Ah, as I suspected.

You made it up.

Luckily, no intelligent reader appears to have been taken in by your fabrication. Notice the utter absence of support for your position.

--Daniel

Edited by kirchh

Daniel Kirchheimer

Support, support, support.

Support, support, support.

Don't be shy.

Do you agree with Hugh's statement?

Using a 14ct nib as an example the 14ct bit means that the nib contains 58.5% gold by weight, gold being heavy and dense would be less in terms of volume, and as the characteristics of gold remain the same it then becomes clear if you have a flexible nib and an identical rigid nib then it's whats in the other 42.5% of the nib that makes the difference. Making nibs with different characteristics is all about the blend of metals and alloys used hence there is no difference in making the actual nib whether it be flexible or not, triumph or standard

--Daniel

Edited by kirchh

Daniel Kirchheimer

Don't be shy.

Do you agree withHugh's statement?

--Daniel

It is totally irrelevant whether or not I agree with anything Hugh said as is obvious to anyone capable of reading the post I replied to since it revolves around your claims.

You asserted "As anyone who has actually compared a flexible and a rigid nib of the same type would know, they are shaped very differently." and the issue is whether or not you can support that assertion. So far we still wait.

y0%2521.gif

I have Sheaffer flexible nibs with no incised lines, shallow-V straight incised lines, curved incised lines, in single gold or dual gold and rhodium plate. I've seen one embossed "FLEXIBLE" that wasn't so flexible.

By and large, the tines on flexible nibs have been longer than firmer nibs.

Fred

Indeed. I never thought I'd see behavior like this from him, but there it is. He types it in print, and then pretends it doesn't exist.

You made it up.

FFS. He quoted your own post. You and Lazard 2.0 actually deserve each other.

You asserted "As anyone who has actually compared a flexible and a rigid nib of the same type would know, they are shaped very differently." and the issue is whether or not you can support that assertion. So far we still wait.

Exactly. I'm certain we'll just deal with more hand-waving and bullschit.

Consider this another vote of support. Long live Harry.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

It is totally irrelevant whether or not I agree with anything Hugh said as is obvious to anyone capable of reading the post I replied to since it revolves around your claims.

Thanks for confirming that you don't agree with Hugh's claim.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Indeed. I never thought I'd see behavior like this from him, but there it is. He types it in print, and then pretends it doesn't exist.

FFS. He quoted your own post. You and Lazard 2.0 actually deserve each other.

You are having a reading comprehension failure; I can't really take the time to help you with that.

As I've stated, Hugh fabricated something and presented it as fact. He is unable to provide any evidence for the claim, which he simply made up.

Exactly. I'm certain we'll just deal with more hand-waving and bullschit

When you have no actual content to contribute, this sort of contentless and obscene utterance results. Disappointing, but not entirely unexpected, considering.

Consider this another vote of support. Long live Harry.

Don't be shy.

Do you agree with Hugh's statement?

Using a 14ct nib as an example the 14ct bit means that the nib contains 58.5% gold by weight, gold being heavy and dense would be less in terms of volume, and as the characteristics of gold remain the same it then becomes clear if you have a flexible nib and an identical rigid nib then it's whats in the other 42.5% of the nib that makes the difference. Making nibs with different characteristics is all about the blend of metals and alloys used hence there is no difference in making the actual nib whether it be flexible or not, triumph or standard

Jar doesn't, apparently.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Thanks for confirming that you don't agree with Hugh's claim.

--Daniel

Stop misrepresenting what I post. You do provide laughs though.

Daniel evades once again. No surprise, since his pedantry clouds his own comprehension. I really hope he responds to this, though he may be overcome with vapors and is fanning himself and clutching his pearls.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Stop misrepresenting what I post. You do provide laughs though.

You will not support Hugh's claim. That is a fact.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Daniel evades once again. No surprise, since his pedantry clouds his own comprehension. I really hope he responds to this, though he may be overcome with vapors and is fanning himself and clutching his pearls.

Ah, so you, too will not support Hugh's claim.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer