The Right 3 Pen Case For Big Pens

Johnboy976

I am looking for a three pen case that will hold the larger pens in my collection, while also allowing for a snug fit for the smaller ones. As an example of size, I have a Pelikan M1000, an Edison Collier and a Visconti Black Divina (to name a few). What is your recommendation? I have been looking at the fabric Franklin-Christoph and the Nook Co. Hightower, which are either sold out or not selling, for the moment. I am not against the idea of getting something leather, but it has to be big enough to hold the larger of my pens, while also being small enough to fit in a larger jean pocket.

Note: I already own a 2 pen Visconti case, which I love, but the compartments are big, and so leave smaller FPs rattling around in them.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my63

• Tweel

• Tanzanite

• Johnboy976

I am interested in your problem I have been asked to make such a case for another fpn member.

on previous cases I made a loop in the leather liner so the clip of the small pen could be attached to it to prevent rattling around you will need to imagine the picture below inside a case

12123008536_ca2cde72e6_z.jpgIMG_6427_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I have also experimented with various inserts and my current favourite is a velvet or suede pen pouch that secures smaller pens and can be easily removed to allow larger pens to fit.

My cases are quite large as I add kydex thermal plastic to provide extra protection

Good luck with your search

Michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

I've never had a problem with the MB Siena case or the Online case for my 149's. Some people say it's too small but I've never had that experience

I use one of my husband's old cigar cases for my larger pens,

Edited by Anne S. Gray

Anne Gray

Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.

My63, do you have a picture of what your case looked like once you made it for the FPN member?

I have not made it yet that is why I am interested in your ideas it might look something like this one,

13971763084_c6a5363111_o.jpg

IMG_7090_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I finished it about 4 weeks ago it was a part of a case to hold an a5 notebook as well as the three pens.

There is an inner leather liner then a layer of kydex followed by a slightly thicker outer leather cover all hand dyed and hand sewn the inner diameter is 21mm although on the diagonal a clip of up to 23 mm could fit.

I am happy to exchange ideas.

Michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

I have a Nock and while its not necessarily a snug fit for smaller pens (my Tswibi mini falls in) the fabric is so forgiving that its a snap to push it back up. I like it so much I've been carrying 4 pens in it right now (2 Decimos together) and let my 4-pen wrap get some dust on it.

A penny for the old guy.

The Pilot Somés 3-pen leather case will fit in a jeans pocket. It will hold big pens (I've had a Gama Hawk in it), and the soft pigskin suede interior will cushion smaller pens (e.g. Sheaffer Compact II, M400) and provide a gentle grip that keeps them from flying around.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

The Pilot Somés 3-pen leather case will fit in a jeans pocket. It will hold big pens (I've had a Gama Hawk in it), and the soft pigskin suede interior will cushion smaller pens (e.g. Sheaffer Compact II, M400) and provide a gentle grip that keeps them from flying around.

If you're talking about the pigskin model, that's the Pilot Pensemble pen case. It's very inexpensive for a leather case, priced at around US$70ish I believe. It's much smaller than the Somes model, but the suede interior sleeves are a lot more forgiving than the Somes model.

The Pilot Somes is a very nice case, that's beautifully made. Much higher quality than the Pensemble case. But because the interior sleeves to accommodate the pens are also of the same material as the exterior, once it's stretched to fit pens that are wider, it does not spring back to it's original size. The sleeves are also so thick, it's hard for some the tighter pen clips to open up to anchor thinner pens.

Franklin-Christoph pen cases have plenty of room for my 149 as well as my Edison collier.

check out my review and pictures of the pilot somes 3-pen case below. it still works wonderfully for me (and i have big pens) and i use it when i travel (such as on a recent 6-city, 12-day tour of europe, when i needed to be sure that my pens would be safe and secure).

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/238288-the-pilot-somes-collection-of-leather-pen-cases/

it can comfortably hold 2 big pens (an agatha christie, an oscar wilde, or a duofold senior or duofold centennial) with a smaller one like a pelikan 600/400 snugly in between. not cheap, but it should answer your needs perfectly and last you a very long time.

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

If you're talking about the pigskin model, that's the Pilot Pensemble pen case.

No, I meant the Somés.

The Pilot Somes is a very nice case, that's beautifully made. Much higher quality than the Pensemble case. But because the interior sleeves to accommodate the pens are also of the same material as the exterior, once it's stretched to fit pens that are wider, it does not spring back to it's original size.

If you mean the dividers and the exterior shell, they're made of different materials -- sueded pigskin and heavy saddle leather, respectively.

check out my review and pictures of the pilot somes 3-pen case below. it still works wonderfully for me (and i have big pens) and i use it when i travel (such as on a recent 6-city, 12-day tour of europe, when i needed to be sure that my pens would be safe and secure).

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/238288-the-pilot-somes-collection-of-leather-pen-cases/

it can comfortably hold 2 big pens (an agatha christie, an oscar wilde, or a duofold senior or duofold centennial) with a smaller one like a pelikan 600/400 snugly in between. not cheap, but it should answer your needs perfectly and last you a very long time.

I'm of the same mind. Whether at home or travelling, it's served me very well as a daily "carrier".

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

I have the Pelikan 3 pen case, holding 2 M800 and a Sailor 1911L in the middle. Can hold smaller pens (clip them to the case walls) and I have the feeling it could accomodate 3 M1000s (wish I had them to try lol).

Hi

I use one of the Rosseta 3 pen cases and it holds my Conway Stewart Churchill, which is huge, my Montblanc 149 and my Pelikan M1000 without issue.

Paul

I have the Pelikan 3-pen case that SirVival references. It's softish black leather with a dark green cross-loop (into which the cover flap tucks). Purchased on Amazon for $40. Nice case. Seems sturdy enough. Pretty good value.

This one from Visconti

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o68/clint_039/Plumas%20y%20relojes/Imagen005-2.jpg

Have been usin' Piquadro adjustable 3 pen case with Diplomat..M1000..no problemo...see scan below...

fpn_1401051410__aaaay.jpg

and this older soft Pelikan 3 pen holder..which will accommodate the

M1000....the black one on the left.....

fpn_1337472825__3pcsv967777000.jpg

Incidentally a cigar case works very well..too..

Redacting: Found this old scan with three Diplomats...

fpn_1387581906__ac872tamponato.jpg

Fred

no man is an island.........

Edited by Freddy

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 3 Cigar case that works great!

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png