My Pilot Elite "big Cap" Extra-Fine (70S-80S)

KBeezie

That's too long for the short pocket pens.

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• ukobke

• hari317

• pompa

Top Posters In This Topic

Half way thru the sticker? oh you mean in terms of posting it, not capping it. Yea mine doesn't post down to the ring either, I only post it up to close to the sticker as you said. Capped it goes right to the ring.

Edit: and you did say 'post'... I wasn't looking. I suppose it would be kind of nice to post right to the ring in terms of feel.

Actually it does post all the way up to the ring. I found I just have to turn the cap so that the 'Elite' word is facing upward (same direction as the nib), then I'm able to slide the cap all the way to the ring posted.

Hi,

That's nice! I really liked the look of the dart nibs, and the one I have writes quite well. As for the Platinum pens, the converter needs a bit of trimming to work, and it doesn't always work either. I really like that Pilots aside from the ones that take double spares is that they usually can take both cartridges and converters.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Nice pen ! Japanese delight and memorable pen !

It is not Japanese :P

Still missing the "White Stripe" MYU and black brother MYU with transparent section!

(Has somebody a "Murex" with a working clock?

(Thanks to Steve I found the "Black Stripe Capless" and the "White Stripe Capless")

What's not Japanese?

The Elite Pilot of the picture! It is not Japanese. It is Korean. :wacko:

Still missing the "White Stripe" MYU and black brother MYU with transparent section!

(Thanks to Steve I found the "Black Stripe Capless" and the "White Stripe Capless")

Oh? Source?

(only reference I've found so far. http://ryojusen-pens.com/29.html )

Course on that point, was it still made BY Pilot (of Japan) just not "IN" Japan ?

Though Speerbob (who is reputable) says country of manufacture is Japan:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371037824996

Edited by KBeezie

It is Korean. ask Bob, he will tell you.

On the better Korean Pilots, it is also marked Korea on the nibs. Korean pilots also have the "special" dot type symbol on the sticker which Japanese Pilots do not have. This mark can be clearly seen on the sticker of your pen.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

It is Korean. ask Bob, he will tell you.

On the better Korean Pilots, it is also marked Korea on the nibs. Korean pilots also have the "special" dot type symbol on the sticker which Japanese Pilots do not have. This mark can be clearly seen on the sticker of your pen.

:P it's just odd cuz there's no mention of Korea/Korean on the Elite's Listing (link edited in the post above).

PS: I can't see anything other than "Pilot" on the nib.

Are you referring to the dot around the nib sizing on the sticker?

But what does this mean exactly? That it doesn't belong in the Japanese subforum? That's its an inferior Pilot product? (on that note does that mean an American product made in China like some Sheaffers are not Sheaffers or American? etc etc)

Edited by KBeezie

Though Speerbob (who is reputable) says country of manufacture is Japan:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371037824996

yes,

:P it's just odd cuz there's no mention of Korea/Korean on the Elite's Listing (link edited in the post above).

PS: I can't see anything other than "Pilot" on the nib.

Are you referring to the dot around the nib sizing on the sticker?

True. I think Bob must correct that "Country of Manufacture: Japan" entry in the ebay "item specifics". It is possibly a genuine oversight on his part.

yes I refer to that dot after the nib sizing letter. It is not a plain dot, some symbol. I have seen it only on the Koreans.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Found a post of Speerbob from 2008

Hi, Good job finding Aurora's in Korat, I thought I bought all the good stuff there. Maybe I missed that store. But also sometimes they have stuff in the back room they don't have out so be sure to ask. You wouldn't believe how many times I went into a store and bought their entire inventory of fountain pens. It really freaks them out. Fountain pens sit on the shelf for years in Thailand because no one buys them so they think I'm nuts when I come in and buy them all. I have often bought pens that were in the store for over 40 years! One time a store had an awesome sale on NOS Pilots and I bought all they had in the store (10-12 pens) and asked if they had more. They said they could order them so I said I wanted 1000 pens. They must have asked me 10 times in I'm sure just to be sure they understood. They even called me later to be sure before they placed the order. It's pretty funny.

Pilot made pens at one time or another in Japan, Korea, India and Burma. The India and Burma factories closed over 30 years ago but Pilots were made in Korea until fairly recently. The Korea Pilots tended to be the lower priced ones, but not lower in quality. They nearly always have steel nibs. Sometimes they are marked Korea or ROK, sometimes they are not marked. They are just as good quality as the ones made in Japan. I have been told that Japanese customs will not let Korean Pilots in to Japan. Some Japanese customers will ask me is a pen is from japan or Korea and not buy it if from Korea. I don't know if this is really true.

The owner of Pilot Thailand is Korean and has had the business there for like 30 years. He is very, very stubburn and hard to deal with but I have been dealing with him for 6-7 years. I have never actually met him and always work through his office manger. He refuses to meet customers and spends half his time in Korea. I think he's a fairly old guy now and semi-retired. He runs a very inefficiant, low-tech business. But, pilot is still a top brand there on the low end. they most expensive Pilots they sell in Thailand are the VP's. he has no desire to go up-market.

Cheers, BOB

The other Pilot Elite from Taiwan have a gold sticker with diamonds on. Both Elite have not gold nibs.

Japanese Elite do have gold nibs 14K,18K, 22K.

I am trying (for years) to find Elite of India or Burma. I am not sure if they were ever made there. At least to see a photo of them. Maybe it's a myth...

I am trying (for years) to find Elite of India or Burma. I am not sure if they were ever made there. At least to see a photo of them. Maybe it's a myth...

The Elite was never made here in India, AFAIK.

Yeah, I was just going to reply how the photos that Speerbob have on ebay shows it to cap all the way to the ring...good info btw, I was wondering if the clip is spring loaded.

Hi, The cap will post all the way down to the ring if you remove the sticker. Cheers, Bob

Check out my website at www.Speerbob.com

http://www.speerbob.com/ebay/SpeerbobBannersmall.jpg

Hi, Good discussion on the Elite. I think it was made in Korea, but not 100% sure. I do have some Pilot pens that are marked Korea or ROK. This one is not marked. In the 1970's into the 80's the Pilots made in Korea were their second tier pens made for lower-end markets and I'm told could not legally be sold in Japan. They are still authentically Pilot and Pilot quality. I bought 5,000 of these Elites from the Pilot distibutor in Thailand. Not that it matters but the owner is Korean and has had the distributership for over 40 years! He apparently imported Pilots from the Korean factory in the 1970's int the 80's when it closed and from Japan from the 1960's up until recently. I hear he is now at odds with Pilot and while he's still the official agent for Thialand, he is currently unable to import Pilot products. The Pilot cartridges I sell are also real Pilot but he imports the ink cartridges in bulk from Japan and packages then in Thailand with Thai language on them. I asked the people at Pilot Thailand about the Elite pens I have and got different stories on where they were made. I think Korea now based on my latest info. I have had that same listing on eBay for the Elite running for several years (over 2,000 Elites sold!!). I just have updated it a few times. I didn't even think about it saying Japan so I'll have to remove that. Thanks, Bob

Check out my website at www.Speerbob.com

http://www.speerbob.com/ebay/SpeerbobBannersmall.jpg

Nice pen ! Japanese delight and memorable pen !

It is not Japanese :P

What's not Japanese?

:P ...

But what does this mean exactly? That it doesn't belong in the Japanese subforum? That's its an inferior Pilot product? (on that note does that mean an American product made in China like some Sheaffers are not Sheaffers or American? etc etc)

It is just a piece of information. As far as I can see, no one has drawn any inferences regarding its quality or the suitability of this forum to discuss these pens.

Edited by hari317

I am a Japanese, and I also have this pen bought from Speerbob.

This pen is clearly South Korean made. I already know before I bought this pen. I just wanted to buy rare model of Pilot Elite(I have Japanese Elite-S with 18KWG made in 1978, too).

The country of origin is not disappeared on any part of the pen, but the "KS" symbol(combined "K" and "S" letter) is appeared on the green sticker of this pen. It proves the pen is made in South Korea.

KS stands "Korean Standard", it is South Korea's manufacturing standard similar as Japanese JIS(Japan Industrial Standard, it can be found on some Japanese FP nibs made until 1998).

According to some South Korean web source, Pilot Korea (Shin Wha Sa Company) has started production of Pilot fountain pens from 1962 under trademark license and technical assistance of Pilot Japan. But on the international location page of Pilot Japan official web, South Korea is disappeared. Because Pilot Korea is not a child company of Pilot Japan(PJ has not any stock of PK).

In the early stage, they have imported nibs, ink feeds and metal caps from Japan, however, from end of 1960s, they have begun to make all parts in their factory.

I am not sure PK still making FPs in Korea, but according to Korean source, they have already quitted production of FP several years ago.

However, at least still they have showroom of writing instruments include FPs, near Jonggak subway station of Seoul. I have visited the place on January of this year, but I cannot enter there because out of business hour.

Pilot Thailand is a subsidiary of Pilot Korea. Originally it was a joint venture of Pilot Japan and local thai investor, however PK had bought the PJ's stock in 1970. So they import Pilot products both from Japan and Korea. I don't know why PJ sold their stock of Thailand subsidiary to PK.

Edited by pongsy3g

I am a Japanese, and I also have this pen bought from Speerbob.

This pen is clearly South Korean made. I already know before I bought this pen. I just wanted to buy rare model of Pilot Elite(I have Japanese Elite-S with 18KWG made in 1978, too).

The country of origin is not disappeared on any part of the pen, but the "KS" symbol(combined "K" and "S" letter) is appeared on the green sticker of this pen. It proves the pen is made in South Korea.

KS stands "Korean Standard", it is South Korea's manufacturing standard similar as Japanese JIS(Japan Industrial Standard, it can be found on some Japanese FP nibs made until 1998).

According to some South Korean web source, Pilot Korea (Shin Wha Sa Company) has started production of Pilot fountain pens from 1962 under trademark license and technical assistance of Pilot Japan. But on the international location page of Pilot Japan official web, South Korea is disappeared. Because Pilot Korea is not a child company of Pilot Japan(PJ has not any stock of PK).

In the early stage, they have imported nibs, ink feeds and metal caps from Japan, however, from end of 1960s, they have begun to make all parts in their factory.

I am not sure PK still making FPs in Korea, but according to Korean source, they have already quitted production of FP several years ago.

However, at least still they have showroom of writing instruments include FPs, near Jonggak subway station of Seoul. I have visited the place on January of this year, but I cannot enter there because out of business hour.

Pilot Thailand is a subsidiary of Pilot Korea. Originally it was a joint venture of Pilot Japan and local thai investor, however PK had bought the PJ's stock in 1970. So they import Pilot products both from Japan and Korea. I don't know why PJ sold their stock of Thailand subsidiary to PK.

valuable contribution, thanks! at last, we now know what that dot like symbol means.

regards

Hari