Who Is Using Franklin-Christoph.......?

tinta

I don't know if I am in the right forum for this, as this marque is not included in the list of names under Miscellaneous Brands.

I have looked at Franklin-Christoph's impressive web-site & talked to a friendly employee there.

I would like to order a new model, the "03" from them as soon as my colour combination of black/maroon is available.

The size, the understated design, some unique features & the nib options really caught my interest.

I looked up the brand in the Fountain Pen Reviews Forum, only to find a small number of reviews (& of course not the new 03).

I'd guess that there are more F-C users out there, who have not yet written a review. They may never do,... but might be satisfied users, who appreciate some or all aspects of this brand.

If you collect or use Franklin-Christoph pens, I would love to hear about your experiences with the pens from this American maker.

I'm very interested about the nibs that have been modified by Mr Masuyama for these pens.

Thanks in advance for any information or comment.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• tinta

• sansenri

• Blue_Moon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't own one yet, but I haven't bought a pen in a at least a year and a half. I have test driven them at pen shows though, and they are on the list of "next to get" with 2 or 3 others. Just have to decide which pen it will be and then get the money. The pens are really nice looking in person, and very well constructed for fit and finish. The ones I tried were excellent writers as well. I have several pens Michael Masuyama has worked on, and he does excellent work.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

I have five F-C pens, several pen cases, all of their bottled inks, and one pen tray. Their pens are beautifully made and while having a substantial feel are not heavy in the hand. The materials they use are obviously of a high order. I've gotten all SS nibs and all have been very smooth from the get go. You'll treasure anything you get from them. This is one of the very few companies out there where everything they make is top notch.

I like my FC Pocket40 stub. The dark green acrylic is beautiful and the little thing's Masuyama steel nib writes like a champ. I wish they'd put a clip on their pocket Smoke and Ice, but that would mean I'd have to buy it so maybe I'm grateful they don't.

Best customer service on the planet! It's worth buying from them just for that.

I recently picked up a Model 19. It's wonderfully made, and though I did not go for the Masuyama nib, the steel M nib I did get is a pleasure to write with. I also got one of their boot leather pen cases, and I really love it! I would definitely recommend buying from them. They do great work!

Thanks all for the posts.

Looks like there are Franklin-Christoph users out there in them woods..... :)!

Hope I hear from more.

One of the features that Jim Rouse (at F-C) & I talked about was the design of the "block" cap threads that placed at the front of the section. I really like the idea of having the female threading deep inside the cap, far away from the cap's rim (the 65, 66 & 02 also share this feature). The # 19 has the same "block" design cap threads, but at the usual below the section location.

Wonder how this threading works in practice.

Does anyone have one of the stainless (JoWo) Broad or Medium stub/italics by Mr. Masuyama? I have a couple wonderful of CIs that he has done for me, on Sailor Ms nibs.

Could anyone post a writing sample using a F-C Masuyama italic?

Thanks again in advance.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

Let's list it like this:

- I had a FC Bellus 29 with one of Michael Masuyamas Italics

- It wrote like a dream

- I sold it, because it's a cartridge / converter pen, and I prefer pistons

- I kicked my butt

- I bought it again

- it handles like a dream...

Edit: sorry, I forgot - try here: http://www.penexchange.de/forum_neu/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7092

Ok, it's german and I write like "a chicken underneath it's tail" as we say here, but the nib is great...

Edited by Tombstone

There are no facts, there is no truth - just a data to be manipulated...

Which ones you got,....Post Script?

I'm curious too what 5 models Mister Boll has.

I'm a physician and get to write with FP's all day! One of my great geeky pleasures is starting the day uncapping my F-C No.2 with Masuyama 1.1 stub. I own a shameful number of FP's ( including 6 F-C's ) but this pen has made safe queens out of many more expensive ones. Amazing value for money and outstanding, personalized service. I complained to Jim Rouse about a scratchy nib and he sent me a new one by return mail. Class act.

I bought a FC 40P at the Ohio Pen Show last fall and absolutely love it. I got the Smoke and Ice model with an 18k broad nib. I use it primarily as an eyedropper with Iroshizuku Kon-peki and lately with Caran d’Ache Hypnotic Turquoise. I never leave the house without it!

Mister Boll, I am trying to get my head around how the block threads work at the front rim of the section. I believe your # 66 has such threading,... as will be my # 03, once it's made.

Some questions come to mind....................................

How many turns before the cap homes in tight?

How many turns before the cap engages in the block threads inside the cap?

Is there any slop or wiggle to the cap at the initial turn?.

(Some fine pitch four-start cap threads can be quite loose in the beginning.)

How well does the block threading stay put when closed?

Do you get the unscrewing in the pocket syndrome, a la some Pelikans or Esties?

I talked with Jim @ F-C about the # 03's block threads, but I would love to hear from a user who's pen has a similar threading pattern.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by tinta

I also have two Franklin-Christoph pens, a Model 29 Bellus and a Model 27 Collegia in Diamondline. Both are great instruments and possess the fine-tuned nibs in needlepoint from Mike Masuyama; I needed the smaller line for my script style but the thinness isn't even realized as soon as you feel the smoothness of that nibmeister's skill. No need to even consider a gold nib...

I personally think the 29 possesses a higher quality design and construction than the 27, with the latter's concerns being those you specifically asked about to Mr. Boll. But nonetheless the quality, affordability, and customer service trifecta shakes the pen industry in it's synergy.

I am presently saving for a Model 02 in Smoke and Ice!

Respectfully, M.

Stylus 156, what concerns did you have with the # 27?

The cap threads look quite like the normal pitch & in the usual location (though a little to the rear).

Mister Boll, I am trying to get my head around how the block threads work at the front rim of the section. I believe your # 66 has such threading,... as will be my # 03, once it's made.

Some questions come to mind....................................

"My answers in green." says Mister Boll.

How many turns before the cap homes in tight?

Depends when it engages but is between 3/4 to 1.5 turns.

How many turns before the cap engages in the box threads inside the cap?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.

Is there any slop or wiggle to the cap at the initial turn?.

(Some fine pitch four-start cap threads can be quite loose in the beginning.)

While not built to NASA type tolerances it displays little to no wiggle. It is very precise.

How well does the box threading stay put when closed?

Do you get the unscrewing in the pocket syndrome, a la some Pelikans or Esties?

It stays but can be easily disengaged. I would imagine it would stay closed in a pocket as long as nothing else was up against it. I normally don't carry pens so I'm not the best person to ask about this.

Thanks Mr Boll.

If you didn't understand my second question,... come to think of it, neither do I. (By 4:00 PM I was tired.)

I'm glad I got your input on the potential for the cap unscrewing. I'll keep an eye on the cap of my clip-less 03.

Jim at F-C mentioned that the rear slope of the 03's section closely matches the inner taper of the cap, creating a little suction. This may be the fix for keeping the cap more secure.

Since I only have a total of nine pens, this F-C will get lots of use. I'm really looking forward to this pen.

• 2 weeks later...

Proud F-C user here! Currently have the Model 29 and the discontinued model 14 (one with a medium stub and the other with a broad italic Masuyama nib). Love them both to death and switch between the two as a daily writer. Like Stylus156, I'm also saving for the model 02 in smoke and ice :). Can't really decide what kind of nib I want with it though since it'll be a primary note taker.