Cross Ballpoint Pens

max dog

Is soomeone there ?

Yes, someone is here.

Did you expect a reaction to your two previous comments?

I expect people did not know what to say about these remarks that were unrelated to the topic (Cross pen, while you remark about a Parker pen. Nice pens) but such remarks are seen as Hijacking which is considered impolite.

If you would like a conversation about your Parker pens you would get better response by opening a topic of your own in the Parker sub forum.

Enjoy your pens, Parker, Cross or other. :)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max dog

• bunny roller

• Chthulhu

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Every day I use the Century desk ballpoint pen. It is a great writing pen with a nic balance. 10K desk pen with the walnut base. I have a few more of these at home with various material bases and pencils. I have no idea what I will do with them when I retire shortly.

An acquaintance had a desk set with pen and pencil and walnut base. I had always admired the set and felt I had achieved some small milestone when I bought a set like it.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Good to know , Firstly i am hijacking anything and secondly if I am impolite then your more than impolite cause you know what you find my comments dumb and impolite and still you commented - Whatever your name is #RMN

I am extremely sorry for my inappropriate comment i am sorry and i had no hard feelings man !!

OK, thanks for being so kind to come back to this. :thumbup:

D.ick

~

~

Coherence. Then no following something to see where it goes.

I have always found the Cross ballpoints so reliable and their fountain pens not so much. Especially love the desk sets. There was a time in the seventies when Cross seemed to be the epitome of pens in the American office. I certainly loved them, and the sterling set best of all.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Never have been much of a Cross guy. Skinny refill and all that. Can't really explain why I have 6 or 7, or maybe 9 of the things. Always worry about running out of ink. Haven't run one totally dry more than two of three times, and fortunately had another somewhere-like in the BP cup on my desk. Have not found an aftermarket refill that worked very well so have continued to buy Cross.

Guess I need to try the fat ones!

Alas just bought a Mont Blanc feeling excited :) :)

Why "Alas"? Nothing wrong with MB (apart from being a bit expensive.

Have you ever tried a Cross pen, Bunny?

D.ick

~

~

I have tried it ....but not that much . i am big fountain pen lover but i also like cross pen !!

Did you know Cross also makes fountainpens? The Townsend is a very good pen.

D.ick

~

~

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to add to this thread. Back around 1966-7, I found a Cross gold ballpoint in the gutter at my high school. I knew what they were but they were too expensive for a poor high school student. As I looked at it, I could tell the gold dot on the cap had gone missing and the barrel had a few dents but I used that pen through the rest of high school, college, and my first few jobs. I still have it but it's been retired for many years. I also have a couple of the black and gold versions as well as an unused, engraved pen and pencil set that was my granddad's. He was a big fan too. And somewhere in my office is a chrome ballpoint.

Anyway, even though I use a Waterman Charleston rollerball and a variety of fountain pens, I still keep a black and gold Cross by my bedside. The other day, I decided I wanted a new gold Century and looked for them online. Found out they are no longer USA made and got expensive. So I headed over to Ebay where I had some excellent luck and found a very clean 12k gold filled Century for $20 BIN or offer. I offered $15 and it was accepted. The pen arrived today with a spare refill (black medium) and an older Cross black medium in the pen. A few swipes with a Miracle Cloth and a wipe down and the pen gleemed. It's not as easy for me to use these slim pens as it used to be but they remind me of times past.

Oh, and the old Century I found in high school that has been stored for better than 20 years? I took it out and it wrote perfectly!

• 2 weeks later...

Lapis Lazuli Townsend :puddle: , lucky you. I like the Lapis Jade too. Maybe one of these days I will get a Townsend in one of the Lapis finishes. I have have the sterling Townsend fountain, roller, and bp that make a wonderful trio.

Another great thing about Cross is there are a lot of nice colors/finishes to choose from, especially in the Townsend line, and you will never be stranded without a refill because Cross refills are so readily available in most stationery stores. That's why my Centuries have always been my companions at work for well over 20 years.

There is something about the slim Century ball points with their classy elegance and distinction that I will never tire of.

attachicon.gifCross Classic Century 10 KT ballpoint.jpg

I have three slim Century gold filled ball points and I adore them.They are beauties to look at as well exellent writers.

Khan M. Ilyas

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a picture of Cross pens I have acquired. Anything you can tell me about them would be appreciated. Do they have a value? How do I tell one "model" from another? Do I need to photograph each individually and get close ups? Thanks for your help - new to this forum. I have acquired a lot of pens, both fountain and ballpoint and a number of pencils. I am starting to feel my way around here! Thanks for being such a good forum!

post-118211-0-76641800-1416519392.jpg

H1N... Can you take the pen apart and upload a photo of the refill that you have in your pen now?

It does look like a fibre tip from your current photo.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CBNina....Looks like you have a Century 2 on the left, and 4 Classic Centurys, where one could be a pencil.

You can tell more about them if you remove the cap/clip part of each pen and then upload another photo.

To remove the caps just pull the 2 halves apart.

I never thought of Cross as having "kinds" of pens. I've got an old gold one from the early 1970's in a desk somewhere. And then I found a black one which is probably from the 1980's that has been sitting in my desk at home since the mid to late 1990's when I bought my Laureat. I pulled it out yesterday afternoon, and was surprised to learn that it still writes! I would have expected the ink to have dried out long ago. I'm sad to hear that the refills are no longer made.

Edited by Wandering Man

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.