Pay It Forward 2013

zoniguana

Long-time lurker coming out of the woodwork as it were. As I just passed a small, but important career milestone with flying colors and (as a reward) my wife is treating me to one of my "grail pens", I decided that I would celebrate by doing a PIF of my very first FP. It started my interest in FPs, but it has remained unused for well over a decade and I'm not a terribly sentimental type. So, I'm putting up here a late 1990s Pilot Vanishing Point in blue carbonesque with a medium 18K nib. Included is the original converter (it has a very slight blue stain), the original box, and four Pilot cartridges black ink. These look full still, but its possible some evaporation has occurred over the years. I have not tested this with ink, but it was put away clean so I expect it to work just fine. It was always a very smooth writer for me -- I stopped using it only because I found I couldn't live with the clip near my fingers. (Having bratwurst for digits is a tribulation, not least because my dogs keep wanting a taste.)
There are some conditions for this PIF:
1. If you decide not to keep this pen in the future, you MUST also PIF or give it away to someone who is new to FPs; you cannot sell the pen.
2. You must not have a collection of high-end pens already. Preferably, I would like this to go to someone who is new to FPs and would use it often (e.g., a student, a teacher) and who has been prevented from trying a VP simply because of the price.
3. I will happily pay for US postage, but if you live overseas, I ask that you cover postal costs, preferably via Paypal. I will pack it up and get a shipping quote and wait for Paypal to clear before shipping. I will mark it as a "gift" for international shipment, because that is what it is, but you are responsible for any customs duties (or bribes) that your government entity sees fit to levy.
Obviously, I have no way of enforcing these, but I ask that you respect my wishes and I suspect that the good users of FPN will do so. The honor system seems healthy here.
I will accept requests for the pen via PM until next weekend and then will use a random number generator to pick the recipient.
Finally, my apologies for the dodgy pics. A product photographer I am not.

This is an amazing PIF. I don't actually qualify, however I have a friend who I'm just getting into fountain pens who fits the bill perfectly. He's a student, and doesn't have the money to afford a pen this nice. He also as only ever owned one other fountain pen, a Pilot Metropolitian. I'll try to get him to join the forums and message you to enter (and then get him as addicted to these forums as I am ;) ).

The one thing I'm sure he won't mention, but I wanted to put out there is that he recently had his pen stolen while at work. He offered to let someone use it to jot something down, but the person ended up walking off with it. I felt terrible since I hadn't told him yet to keep the cap when he does things like that, and he's still new so he isn't as used to watching his pens as closely as the rest of us. Lesson learned, but being his first pen he seemed a little disheartened. I since gave him my Platinum Plaisir to write for the time being while he decides what to do.

Like I said, I just wanted to share that for him since I know he'll be too modest to try say it himself. I'll be trying my hardest to get him to post here and in the welcome thread.

Thanks!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alc3261

• Harlequin

• mhguda

• Cyber6

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The one thing I'm sure he won't mention, but I wanted to put out there is that he recently had his pen stolen while at work. He offered to let someone use it to jot something down, but the person ended up walking off with it. I felt terrible since I hadn't told him yet to keep the cap when he does things like that, and he's still new so he isn't as used to watching his pens as closely as the rest of us. Lesson learned, but being his first pen he seemed a little disheartened. I since gave him my Platinum Plaisir to write for the time being while he decides what to do.

Like I said, I just wanted to share that for him since I know he'll be too modest to try say it himself. I'll be trying my hardest to get him to post here and in the welcome thread.

Thanks!

That's terrible. Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to keep my cap if I ever lend one of my pens out. Since he lent it out, he must know who did it right?

g1yph -- please do have him send me a PM. He sounds like a worthy recipient and I'd love to add him to the drawing pool.

This is an amazing PIF. I don't actually qualify, however I have a friend who I'm just getting into fountain pens who fits the bill perfectly. He's a student, and doesn't have the money to afford a pen this nice. He also as only ever owned one other fountain pen, a Pilot Metropolitian. I'll try to get him to join the forums and message you to enter (and then get him as addicted to these forums as I am ;) ).

Thanks!

色即是空,空即是色 (心經

That's terrible. Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to keep my cap if I ever lend one of my pens out. Since he lent it out, he must know who did it right?

It was a customer. So he knows who did it but the likelyhood of the person ever showing back up is slim to none I'd guess. He works at Best Buy part time, I feel for the guy :(.

Thanks shudaizi, I'll get on him about it.

it's really awesome to see how supportive this community can be. You guys rock.

And if he doesn't win I'm sure I have a pen spare for him..... :)

Once again showing just how awesome you guys all are. I'll make sure he sees this post!

shudaizi, on 18 Nov 2013 - 12:50, said:snapback.png

g1yph -- please do have him send me a PM. He sounds like a worthy recipient and I'd love to add him to the drawing pool.

And if he doesn't win I'm sure I have a pen spare for him..... :)

(Oops, didn't do the quote thing correctly) I am so impressed with the PIF process on FPN and the desire to help replace g1yph's friend's stolen pen! Ditto from me, if he does not get the VP, I will gladly give him one of mine. This is a great bunch of folks. I try to give away all kinds of stuff I am not using to someone who will take pleasure in it, but always with the proviso that they pass it forward rather than allow it to gather dust unused.

I've got a pair of Edison Nouveau Encores, EF nib, that are up for grabs. They're like new, inked once. One blue agate, one purple ice. They write fine, but have a bit too much feedback for my taste, and for some reason, my hand cramps if I write with them for more than a few minutes, so I want to send them to a home that will use them. They're both greased for eyedropper fill.

If you are interested, email davrosinside at yahoo dot com. I'll do a drawing next weekend. Shipping will be asap, but could be a bit slow, due to some intense life circumstances.

I'd prefer that if the pens stay free, and are used rather than collected.

Edit: I will do two drawings - one per pen. Let me know if you have a color preference.

Edited by Davros

Wow, first post and you give away stuff.

Beautiful!

and of course, :W2FPN:

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

My latest offering is a Dolce Vita Naranja, medium nib, with a converter. Although this is a relatively inexpensive pen, it's quite striking and a good performer. We will do this drawing lotto style, so please pm me with your three lucky number (must be under ten, ex: 3,8 9). Due to some upcoming holiday travel I will keep this open until December 1st. Domestic shipping only.

EDIT: Several entries I have gotten are referencing the expensive nature of this pen, please note this is a Dolce Vita Naranja, not an actual Dolcevita. The pen is Chinese made.

post-99253-0-00801900-1385224486.jpg

post-99253-0-92664800-1385224494_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gump

Great thread! I have nothing at the moment to give, but maybe later when I'll receive my order from Goulet that will be the case :P. Is the shipping cost alway payed by the sender?

Thanks for the response!

My handwriting is terrible... I'd feel like I were 'abusing' the pen!

I bet you'd get a boost of confidence if you saw my handwriting!

You should both look to the Handwriting Repair that appeared somewhere on this forum, it did wonder to mine! It's like in one of those commercial for hair product, before I would get nothing but insults, and now I receive compliments from everyone! :D (in term of time, it took me around a week to grasp the basics and around 3-4 months of very light practice to get an acceptable speed)

http://66.147.242.192/~operinan/8/2/205.html (it's free!)

Edited by Papersaurus

Great thread! I have nothing at the moment to give, but maybe later when I'll receive my order from Goulet that will be the case :P. Is the shipping cost alway payed by the sender?

You should both look to the Handwriting Repair that appeared somewhere on this form, it did wonder to mine! It's like in one of those commercial for hair product, before I would get nothing but insults, and now I receive compliments from everyone! :D (in term of time, it took me around a week to grasp the basics and around 3-4 months of very light practice to get an acceptable speed)

Thanks for that link.

Also, you decide who pays for shipping.

You should both look to the Handwriting Repair that appeared somewhere on this forum, it did wonder to mine! It's like in one of those commercial for hair product, before I would get nothing but insults, and now I receive compliments from everyone! :D (in term of time, it took me around a week to grasp the basics and around 3-4 months of very light practice to get an acceptable speed)

Awesome link indeed. I've downloaded it, and will give it a go when I have a little more free time. The only thing I'm worried about is me being a lefty. It has seriously discouraged me from trying alot of writing exercises because of my weird grip. Seems like nothing works for me. I don't have a under or over grip, so its kind of frustrating alot of times.

Pen blog of current inventory

Enjoy life, and keep on writing!

-Tommy

Awesome link indeed. I've downloaded it, and will give it a go when I have a little more free time. The only thing I'm worried about is me being a lefty. It has seriously discouraged me from trying alot of writing exercises because of my weird grip. Seems like nothing works for me. I don't have a under or over grip, so its kind of frustrating alot of times.

Pokermom - Not to worry, the PDF file has a section for lefties.You should be fine. I am going to give it a look as well.

Rob

There is a bunch of good people here. Kind of reminds me of another form for Double edge razors. There are some very generous people there. I had been looking for a double edge razor was just recovering from the sequestration and then got furloughed. So I thought I was going to have to wait but a kind gentleman PIFed me a razor and blades and we have been friends since. Now the have a NIB forum on their site so that has given me a bug for a fountain pen. I have a Zebra V-301 until I can get a better one. I just want to thank y'all for all that you do.

Ron

There is a bunch of good people here. Kind of reminds me of another form for Double edge razors. There are some very generous people there. I had been looking for a double edge razor was just recovering from the sequestration and then got furloughed. So I thought I was going to have to wait but a kind gentleman PIFed me a razor and blades and we have been friends since. Now the have a NIB forum on their site so that has given me a bug for a fountain pen. I have a Zebra V-301 until I can get a better one. I just want to thank y'all for all that you do.

Ron

Are you referring to B&B?

This offering is specifically for those experienced in tuning, or otherwise modifying nibs only. I swapped a Kaweco for this via the classifieds a while back and frankly, despite it's solid and attractive appearance, I am having issues with ink flow and smoothness of the nib. I have flossed the nib, flushed it many times, even dabbled with some light micromesh smoothing and yet I can't keep it working for any period of time. I feel certain that with a more experienced set of hands, this pen could be a nice addition to some members collection. With all that said, I offer up the Retro 51 Tornado with a medium nib.

I will let this one run through December 1st as well, and it will be a simple drawing. Domestic shipping only, please.

post-99253-0-79629400-1385265711_thumb.jpg

post-99253-0-66571000-1385265721_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gump