Twsbi [Color 540] Is Here~

Sjrand96

The more I use my B-nibbed orange 540, the more I like it. The broad nib is quite springy; it's a very, very good writer on all sorts of papers. I think these Bock nibs are wonderful!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimmy James

• XiaoMG

• dannzeman

• SamCapote

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k526/stylobug33/6a04afd5.jpg

You guys are funny! This ink is our very own Fountain Pen Network Tulipe Noire. It is one of my all time favorite inks and is perfect for the Smoke TWSBI. Incidentally, after using it for a while, I like it even more. The Bock nibs are phenomenal.

Oh man. I virtuously pass up the pen only to find another ink I need to try. :)

But ... but ... where's the emerald colored one?? bawl.gif

Montblanc Blue-Black please; shaken, not stirred.

I believe the sun will rise tomorrow and I believe the stars will shine at night. Now, ask me what I know.

Fear not, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9 NIV)

Thanks for sharing your experience. I got impatient waiting, and when I saw that they were at Goulet's, I saw that all but the bold smokes were sold out, so I went for that, despite having no real use for a bold nib. I was hoping to get an EF, but that's not too bad. I'm on a waiting list for a Pendleton Point XXF "stiletto" that will go in the smoke. However, now I kind of want to find an EF as well, just to try it out.

Hey my friend, maybe you will want one of these too: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/213610-pendletons-new-bad-boy-nib-twisbi-falcon-flexitalic/page__p__2234616__fromsearch__1#entry2234616

pendletonspens.com

~ May the Lord smile on you ~

Does this batch come with the Bock nibs? I want to order one with a fine nib but have heard the med is the same size as a normal fine for other pens.... so i'm a little confused as to which size to order...

If I heard right, the switch to Back nibs will be only with the 540 Demonstrators/Clear. They are due later in February. So, the current coloured batch don't come with Bock nibs.

To write Chinese characters with all those little strokes (for instance, 麻雀) require finer nibs. Therefore a medium asian nib is closer to a fine Western nib.

Asian M = Western F

Asian F = Western EF

Asian EF = Western EEF

Let me clarify this,

the 540 colored are with Bock nib + twsbi feeder

the 540 clear demonstrator will be mixing, M,B still Schemidt, EF,F will be all Bock + twsbi feeder

all stub 1.1 & 1.5 are Bock + twsbi feeder

happyberet.gif

Hey Speedy ~ Look what I'm doing to your nibs ... bunny01.gif ... Pendleton's New "bad Boy" Nib: Twisbi Falcon ...

Wanna be the first to test drive at the LA pen show???

Edited by pb2

pendletonspens.com

~ May the Lord smile on you ~

My Smoke 540 EF arrived today!!

I've 2 clear 540 EF already but can't resist myself to get the smoke one. Initially because of the color difference, which should not affect writing at all. When I was waiting the arrival of the Smoke, I realize that the nib is Bock rather than Schmidt, which gave me a better reason to buy it. :P

Today, when it arrived, I can only say that I did make a right choice.

Firstly, which is the most important, is that the nib is really smooth, comparing with the previous one. I'm not sure whether it's because of the nib or feeder or even both, but it's just smoother than my other 2 540 EF. BTW, the nib is even smoother than my Pelikan M200 fine gold nib.

Secondly, I'm not sure whether my feeling is correct. It seems that the size of the pen is a little bit bigger, especially near the nib (i.e. the grip). May be it is due to the difference on nib and feeder, so the grip has to become bigger as well.

BTW, shipping is really reliable. 1 week and the pen has traveled half of the world.

Thanks Speedy and TWSBI for everything!! :D

Good to hear! I am planning on getting my girlfriend an EF. I know this will be a quality pen for her!

"To the optimist the glass is half full, to the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be."

Quick queries for you TWSBI pros...:)

1. Is the stub 1.1 also more 'italic' like with good line variation?

2. Does 1.1 mean that the LINE WIDTH is 1.1 on paper - on average? or that the nib is 1.1 mm and the line width is less or more?

3. Are all 540 not with Bock nibs which is supposedly wider and more springy - did I read it correctly?

4. I read that the vacumatic is going to have a larger nib. Is that correct?

5. And will the vacumatic also be in demonstrator?

6. Finally, any chance of a GREEN clear demonstrator like the Pelikan M800 green? That's a very beautiful green.

Thanks!

UL

Quick queries for you TWSBI pros...:)

1. Is the stub 1.1 also more 'italic' like with good line variation?

2. Does 1.1 mean that the LINE WIDTH is 1.1 on paper - on average? or that the nib is 1.1 mm and the line width is less or more?

3. Are all 540 not with Bock nibs which is supposedly wider and more springy - did I read it correctly?

4. I read that the vacumatic is going to have a larger nib. Is that correct?

5. And will the vacumatic also be in demonstrator?

6. Finally, any chance of a GREEN clear demonstrator like the Pelikan M800 green? That's a very beautiful green.

Thanks!

UL

1. don't know

2. Can't really say, it will vary with ink and paper

3. the Schmidt nibs might be wider but so close to zero it doesn't matter. Again ink and paper will make a bigger difference. Same with springy, so slight that it more a matter of personal opinion.

4. Vac 700 will have a #6 nib

5. Yes, there will be a demonstrator but it will come out after the color version, in the same colors as the 540.

6. Yes, there is a chance but not in the near future. The colors they picked were the best sellers and requested (smoke)

Have fist, will travel

My deviantArt page

It has been a while, but I don't think the Amber (orange) color was literally a best seller. My recollection is that red and blue were the colors that disappeared first from the color 530s. Orange followed. Green and cyan sold out at around the same time with I think cyan going slightly before green, and pink languished for quite a while before it became clear the 530 color models would not be restocked and demand gobbled them up.

ETA: My personal hope for colors is that we get a yellow (like a relatively lightly tinted one) and a purple before we see other repeats. For very selfish reasons I hope cyan repeats. I got all of the 530s except the pink which I didn't want and the cyan which I still really regret not jumping on.

Edited by Jimmy James

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Thanks for sharing your experience. I got impatient waiting, and when I saw that they were at Goulet's, I saw that all but the bold smokes were sold out, so I went for that, despite having no real use for a bold nib. I was hoping to get an EF, but that's not too bad. I'm on a waiting list for a Pendleton Point XXF "stiletto" that will go in the smoke. However, now I kind of want to find an EF as well, just to try it out.

I notice that you are in Taiwan, so you may want to see EF's performance in Chinese characters at image below. Please ignore my ugly handwriting. :)

congratulations, stanley! and what's really exciting is to be able to directly compare the exact same size nib (EF) between the old schmidt and the new bock (and to your pelikan!).

if you ever have the time to comment more, or even post pictures comparing how it writes, i'd be grateful! you said the new extra-fine writes much smoother, and i'm wondering if also you can say anything about, for example, whether the line is wetter, or the line is wider, than the original extra-fine.

and a different question: is the (new) extra-fine bock at all springy/soft or is it very hard/firm like a nail? i haven't heard any comments about that for the new ones.

thanks in advance, and hope you enjoy the pen!

For your information, here is the sample of comparing the old nib (schmidt) and new nib (bock). Both are EF. The ink are Sailor Blue Black. Paper is Rogue Journals lined paper.

Which ones do you think that are schmidt? I'll give you my answer during weekend. :P

If I'm talking about wet/dry, soft/hard, I may give you an answer of below image. So, I will just give you my comments together with my answer during weekend. :D

post-77052-0-33301600-1328186412.jpg

Good to hear! I am planning on getting my girlfriend an EF. I know this will be a quality pen for her!

hmm....does she has a large hand? Frankly, I'm not sure whether the grip fits her. It fits me very well though. People say that the size of 540 is similar to M800. So you may want to check it.

Speedy, please forgive me about this. Not intend to affect your business. But kcoen52 may want to buy a Valentine's gift to his girlfriend, and I think that we should let him know the only (may be) (well, sort of, depends on different situation) downside of 540 that I can think of, right? :P

I notice that you are in Taiwan, so you may want to see EF's performance in Chinese characters at image below. Please ignore my ugly handwriting. :)

Thanks. My 530 originally came with an EF nib that was a bit too broad, and I got a replacement EF nib for my 540 (though I do not know if it's Bock or Schmidt) that writes relatively dry and about the same width as my Pilot Custom 74 F. The Pilot is a bit wetter and smoother, but the TWSBI nib is alright. I look forward to what Pendleton Brown's cooked up for me, and even the B nib on the smoke that's coming might be interesting enough to find a use.

Edited by XiaoMG

Robert.

Any news on vacumatics?

You mean the vacuum fillers? They'll be out around of the end of February.

Can I get that carved into stone?

I wish. Anything that comes from TWSBI is a "I'll believe it when I see it" kind of thing.

I just received a smoke 540 fine, and I thought it was too large for my hands when I first started writing with it. After using it for a few days, however, it has grown on me quite a bit! I think it felt strange because it is wider than most of my other pens (pelikan M2XX, lamy 2k, parker 21 super, etc).

I'm not sure I'd buy this pen for someone with small hands if they've never used a fountain pen, but I think someone who will appreciate the good qualities of a pen like this (ink capacity, aesthetics, smooth bock nib) would take to it given a bit of time. I'd advise her to leave it unposted, at least to begin with.

Or you can always wait a bit for the mini to come out!

Hope that helps!

congratulations, stanley! and what's really exciting is to be able to directly compare the exact same size nib (EF) between the old schmidt and the new bock (and to your pelikan!).

if you ever have the time to comment more, or even post pictures comparing how it writes, i'd be grateful! you said the new extra-fine writes much smoother, and i'm wondering if also you can say anything about, for example, whether the line is wetter, or the line is wider, than the original extra-fine.

and a different question: is the (new) extra-fine bock at all springy/soft or is it very hard/firm like a nail? i haven't heard any comments about that for the new ones.

thanks in advance, and hope you enjoy the pen!

For your information, here is the sample of comparing the old nib (schmidt) and new nib (bock). Both are EF. The ink are Sailor Blue Black. Paper is Rogue Journals lined paper.

Which ones do you think that are schmidt? I'll give you my answer during weekend. :P

If I'm talking about wet/dry, soft/hard, I may give you an answer of below image. So, I will just give you my comments together with my answer during weekend. :D

post-77052-0-33301600-1328186412.jpg

hmm....does she has a large hand? Frankly, I'm not sure whether the grip fits her. It fits me very well though. People say that the size of 540 is similar to M800. So you may want to check it.

Speedy, please forgive me about this. Not intend to affect your business. But kcoen52 may want to buy a Valentine's gift to his girlfriend, and I think that we should let him know the only (may be) (well, sort of, depends on different situation) downside of 540 that I can think of, right? :P

That amber one is the same as yellow? Like that Pelikan M205 Yellow? Sorry if it sounds dumb, but I'm daltonic.

--------------

In a word, no.I have both. The pelikan is a very bright sunshine-smile button yellow. the TWSBI, while undeniably gorgeous is more towards the orange end of the spectrum...

close enough for me but not a true yellow in any sense of the word.

skyppere

Can you post the TWSBI 540? How is the balance with it posted? Is it an improvement from the 530?

I think of my FPs as my children.