Pelikan 250 Translucent

Martijn

Hi Amin,

Don't forget to rinse and flush a new pen with soapy water, i.e., 1 or 2 drops of dishwashing liquid (preferably of the unperfumed variety). A new pen often, and especially piston fillers like the Pelikan Souverän series, retain a little oil and debris in the system, notably the feed. Rinsing and flushing with a soapy solution takes care of this, and prevents the early fills with skipping problems (unless there really is a problem with nib/feed of course). It does get sorted out with time, if you don't rinse, but frustrational risk in that first period runs rather high in that case :D.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• Martijn

• amin

• Roger

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice Wim. I did what you said, and it does seem to have made a big difference. No more skipping. Now the only problem is that the pen is *so* wet. Since I generally print rather than write in cursive, a portion of each letter gets more saturated at the point where I lift the pen. The colors come out quite uneven. I'm still considering sending it in to replace the fine nib with an extra fine. Still, I am much less frustrated now that the skipping is resolved. Thanks again, Amin.

Now the only problem is that the pen is *so* wet.  Since I generally print rather than write in cursive, a portion of each letter gets more saturated at the point where I lift the pen.  The colors come out quite uneven. 

We often rationalize and refer to such behavior as shading, Amin, :P a condition that is more often than not, admired. ;)

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Thanks for the advice Wim.  I did what you said, and it does seem to have made a big difference.  No more skipping.  Now the only problem is that the pen is *so* wet.  Since I generally print rather than write in cursive, a portion of each letter gets more saturated at the point where I lift the pen.  The colors come out quite uneven.  I'm still considering sending it in to replace the fine nib with an extra fine.  Still, I am much less frustrated now that the skipping is resolved.  Thanks again, Amin.

Hi Amin,

You didn´t, by any chance, use more than 1 or 2 drops of dishwashing liquid, did you?

If you did, squirt the ink in the pen into the sink (NOT back into the bottle), and rinse and flush a few times with plain tap water.

Why? you may ask. Well, a little of the solution stays behind, and if you use too much soap, you´ll influence the wetness of the ink. Even a very teensy amount of soap lowers surface tension in fluids, hence in ink too, and therewith increases ink flow and thus wetness.

Of course, it may just be that the nib/feed and ink combination is a particularly wet one...

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Wim, thank you for the information, I never thought about that. I actually used a tiny amount of Windex and then rinsed with copious amounts of water. Still, I can't rule out some of the detergent having remained behind. I'm also not 100% positive that I didn't squirt any of it back into the bottle :doh:. I am learning much useful information from you guys.

Today, I went back to the pen store to pickup a MB 141 that was sent in for repair, and while there I asked about my M250. The gentleman at the store (Bertram's Inkwell in downtown Baltimore), who knows far more than I do about pens, said that the wetness was characteristic of Pelikan nibs. He also offered to switch the nib for another fine or any other size for that matter. I decided to try a broad. The broad nib I exchanged for is even wetter! However, it is way more buttery, and with the thick saturated line I find the shading variation to be much more pleasing. Now I can say that I am truly happy with this pen. Again, thanks to Martijn for bringing my attention to this pen. I'm really going to enjoy it.

Edited by amin

• 5 months later...

This is the finest pen review I have read to date, simply excellent. The format is logical, the writing very readable. A Very comprehensive review, yet not too wordy, with many well lit, illustative and well composed pictures. Truly an excellent review. Thank you!!

Edited by chad234

• 10 months later...

Hey, I know this thread is years old, but thanks for your review, especially the pictures. They really helped me in a buying decision on a new M200 body. I often wonder why sellers do not post detailed (read: more than 320*240 :P) images of the actual pens; their customers would be much better informed.

anyway, thanks alot for the review!!! :D

Martijn--Thank you for this review, one of the most comprehensive I've seen. Your photography only enhances what is already an excellent written assessment. I do hope you will review more pens!

PS - the little M is one of my favorite pens, too! :)

Nice review Martijn. ;) Are you also the same member Martijn of WUS?

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Hi Georges,

What means WUS?

Have a great weekend!

Martijn

Hi Georges,

What means WUS?

Have a great weekend!

Martijn

Hi Martijn

WUS means the Watchuseek forum.

have a great week end

regards

georges :)

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 4 weeks later...

Martijn, I really enjoyed your review and probably wouldn't have seen it if it hadn't been for a few recent comments that brought it back to the front of the line. Are you still enjoying your M250?

Btw, beautiful pictures -- what lighting technique did you use?

~Gary

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your kind comments! Yes, I am still enjoying the 250 and must admit that it is one of the few pens I own that is always on ink.

Regarding the lighting, I've used whatever Mother Nature provides through the sun. I've experimented with tents, special lighting etc. but nothing beats pure, natural light. I'm currently working on a site that apart from fountain pen's also covers watches. I write under the name of Martin Green becuase my own name is unpronounchable in English biggrin.gif

TimetatioN - Watch & Fountain pen reviews

I would love it when you would visit. I'm currently working on a review of a Delta Animals.

Have a great day!

Martijn

I realize everyone here almost certainly knows this anyway, but I feel I must say it anyway: for only a few (5) dollars more than the retail price of this pen, one can purchase it from Richard B. with a customized nib. I recently bought this very pen with a broad (0.8 mm) stub from him, and am more than happy with the result.

BTW, excellent review, and I love the "Cuban connection." If it weren't absolutely blizzarding out in my locale, it would make me want a cigar. Let me clarify that: I DO want a cigar, but not enough to brave the wind and snow to enjoy one where it is "permitted." sad.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Wonderful review! Thanks for posting this.

I wanted to second that the M250 is also avaliable in clear with gold appointments. (I also have one.) Unfortunately, I filled it with Noodler's Iraqi Indigo and am still trying to get it out!

Cheers,

Kate