Parker Frontier Fountain Pen Review

ThirdeYe

A very nice pen, one of the smoothest I have. But sadly, the pen cap somehow loosens over time. I mean, most clip on caps should come loose with age, but the symptoms started appearing only after around 1 month of daily use, for all 3 of my Parker Frontiers.

Mine has been in use for about 2 years and the cap is just starting to come loose. Go figure. :)

- Lewis.

Li-aung Yip (Lewis)

B.Eng. (Elec&Electronic) + B.Sc (Mathematics) James Cook University - MIEEE GradIEAust

http://lws.nfshost.com/pix/Laplace-Sig.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThirdeYe

• M@rtin

• Dino71

• InfernoOrangeSS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This pen got me into writing with FP's.... It's a great writer, solid, dependable. It does occasionally dry up, nothing a drop of water won't solve. The cap on mine feels loose, but the nib doesn't dry, so it's still sealing it somehow. I guess the aggressive cap click wears over time.

My only gripe is the rubbery coating they put on the nib section. The coating has worn on the underside about 1-2mm in from the end, as you can see in the photo. Mind you - it could do with a proper clean too...

post-2910-0-60634600-1308262809.jpg

This isn't stopping me getting other ones. Mine was a medium, took all inks I have so far, but would love to get my hands on a fine nib at some point soon. thumbup.gif And I never understood the ball bearing - considering how much ink that thing holds - rolleyes.gif

"The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pens: Parker Jotter (black), Parker Frontier (M), Rotring Core Balium (XL), Sheaffer Prelude (M)

Inks: Yard-O-Led Blue/Black, Parker Quink Black and a vintage Quink Blue

Next pen: Varuna (Kavi, Rajan or Gajendra)...

• 1 year later...

Can you still buy the Parker Frontier with an extra fine nib? I have looked all over and only see fine or medium. Any help would be most welcome. (If so done has one laying around they don't use anymore, please PM me.)

Thank you

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

The Frontier was discontinued at about the same time that the Parker factory at Newhaven, England was closed and production of Parker pens transferred to France, so only New Old Stock still around now.

The Frontier was discontinued at about the same time that the Parker factory at Newhaven, England was closed and production of Parker pens transferred to France, so only New Old Stock still around now.

Thank you for that info. All I have seen is the fine wherever I see NOS Frontiers. I guess I will just have to keep looking.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Wow your cursive is fantastic. This was one of my first FP. Great pen.

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

Wow your cursive is fantastic. This was one of my first FP. Great pen.

Thanks! I was actually fairly self-conscious about my writing in this review as I was just getting used to using it again after printing for many years.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

Does anyone know if you can buy an extra fine nib to put on a fine frontier?

Thank you for that info. All I have seen is the fine wherever I see NOS Frontiers. I guess I will just have to keep looking.

I guess EF nib is available at Lewertowski. you can try here Frontier EF Nib Section

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

• 1 year later...

I think these are great writing pens for the money and you can still find them on eBay. You can also find at least five different nibs for these on eBay including Extra Fine. I got all five widths and they were all excellent. I have also bought some Frontiers from India and got even nicer bodies but not so nice nibs. I do like the matte black one from India and it is currently the FP I carry. The black finish on the cap of the one here is interesting but I can't say much for the sparkling burgundy body;-( Mine looks like something from a dollar store. It also has one dark streak along its length as though it was supposed to be marbled but they forgot to stir the dark into the light. Still, it writes better than many a much more expensive pen. I have also found most of the Frontier nibs to have some flex to them -- certainly more than the cheaper Parkers (Vector and Reflex).

• 2 years later...

I recently picked up a Parker Frontier here in India and the writing is awesome. The nib is smooth and the ink flow is beautiful. Never knew that the Frontiers could write so good. I may buy some more while stocks still last. Over here in India, there are three varieties of Parker Frontiers -- Matte Black, the Silver with a silver nib and another one with a gold nib.