• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• watch_art

• MME

• Dr Lopez

Thank you for the review and for all the comments, I was debating these two pens as well. Seems as though the L2K is in the running for my second FP!!

Thanks for the great comparison! I agree, though, that it really comes down to looks. I would never buy a lamy 2000 just because I do not like its utilitarian, modern look. But I can definitely see how it would appeal to some people.

I think that's what really cool about these two pens--two very comparable options for an entry-level piston filler, and yet covering a wide variety of tastes.

Currently using: pelikan 320 + sheaffer balance

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the review and for all the comments, I was debating these two pens as well. Seems as though the L2K is in the running for my second FP!!

So did you get a L2K ?

Thanks for the great comparison! I agree, though, that it really comes down to looks. I would never buy a lamy 2000 just because I do not like its utilitarian, modern look. But I can definitely see how it would appeal to some people.

I think that's what really cool about these two pens--two very comparable options for an entry-level piston filler, and yet covering a wide variety of tastes.

You got it, these two pens are good for everyday pens to everyone from the new guy on the block to one that has been using FP's for years.

Respect to all

Thank you for such a nice review,

By the way I am wondering from where will I get Lamy 2000 under $100?

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

Thank you for such a nice review,

By the way I am wondering from where will I get Lamy 2000 under $100?

Not any more.

When this review was writen these pens could be bought for 89$ but prices went up since then.

Sorry.

Respect to all

• 1 month later...

It has a bit of spring to it, the steel M200 nibs more so than the gold M400's.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

Thank you Ed for answering me.I want a new workhorse (Pel M200) so that's why i asked.My current workhorse is a Reform 1745 but is too old and antique and is outworn.It skips and is very dry.If the nib of M200 is so flexible as my old Reform is enough for me.So i'll go for the M200 soon.Thanks again for advice.

Edited by MME

1330793062[/url]' post='2269977']

Thank you Ed for answering me.I want a new workhorse (Pel M200) so that's why i asked.My current workhorse is a Reform 1745 but is too old and antique and is outworn.It skips and is very dry.If the nib of M200 is so flexible as my old Reform is enough for me.So i'll go for the M200 soon.Thanks again for advice.

Having used both, I would say the m200 nibs are not as flexible as the Reform 1745's. You can get quite a bit of line variation out of a 1745, and little from an m200, in my experience.

Having used both, I would say the m200 nibs are not as flexible as the Reform 1745's. You can get quite a bit of line variation out of a 1745, and little from an m200, in my experience.

No problem if the M200 has less flexible than a Reform 1745.What i want from a workhorse is:

-to be like a friend,always be with you for better or worse;

-to do a good job,not to leave when you are in hard moments,like i was today at Biology Olympiad in my country,when my Reform skiped a lot;

a nice not too dry but rather a wet line;

-to be sturdy,strong,durable,resistant....whatever;

Edited by MME

1330799387[/url]' post='2270099']

No problem if the M200 has less flexible than a Reform 1745.What i want from a workhorse is:

-to be like a friend,always be with you for better or worse;

-to do a good job,not to leave when you are in hard moments,like i was today at Biology Olympiad in my country,when my Reform skiped a lot;

a nice not too dry but rather a wet line;

-to be sturdy,strong,durable,resistant....whatever;

All that describes the m200. You may want to look at the m215 as well. You lose the ink window, but the m215's a bit heftier and sturdier feeling than the m200, in my opinion.

You may want to look at the m215 as well. You lose the ink window,

Hhhhhm,if you loose ink window,how do you know how much ink you have left?I can't leave home without knowing how much ink i've got left.I guess there must be a secret...

1330805471[/url]' post='2270196']
You may want to look at the m215 as well. You lose the ink window,

Hhhhhm,if you loose ink window,how do you know how much ink you have left?I can't leave home without knowing how much ink i've got left.I guess there must be a secret...

Well, you have two choices there: you can always refill before you leave home and, because piston fillers hold so much ink, there is very little chance you'd run out during the day (unless you write a LOT each day), or do what I do, which is carry more than one pen with you. If one runs out of ink, you switch to another.

Well, you have two choices there: you can always refill before you leave home and, because piston fillers hold so much ink, there is very little chance you'd run out during the day (unless you write a LOT each day), or do what I do, which is carry more than one pen with you. If one runs out of ink, you switch to another.

I understand,but the M200 attracts me more.I like it very much.It have a nice wet line and it is perfect for me.Thanks for advices.

Edited by MME

Thanks for the comparison. I have a 2000 and am looking at buying that exact Pelikan (if the seller would contact me back that is :rolleyes:) If I understand correctly, the L2K has a PLATINUM coated nib.

EDIT: From Lamy themselves: "Fountain pen with piston operated filling system for LAMY ink T 51 and T 52. 14 ct gold nib, platinum coated, hand polished."

I didn't know it was hand polished, a definite "luxury" nib in my opinion :cloud9:

Edited by imadeadend

Visit my blog Pentorium!

• 3 years later...

I should have read this review before buying M200. I have got big hands and the pen is suitable for small to medium hands.

• 7 months later...

As someone who is trying to only buy one pen in 2016 (lol that's not going to work), I have narrowed my decisions to these two pens. I have heard that there is a very precise "sweet spot" on the Lamy 2000. Would you say that this would be a big problematic for someone who tends to roll their hand as they write?

As someone who is trying to only buy one pen in 2016 (lol that's not going to work), I have narrowed my decisions to these two pens. I have heard that there is a very precise "sweet spot" on the Lamy 2000. Would you say that this would be a big problematic for someone who tends to roll their hand as they write?

I'd say so, yes. Goulet did a video on that, you should definitely look that up on YouTube! But in short, the 2000 requires a precise grip so to say, which is what many mean by "sweet spot ". The tipping isn't round, but kind of flat, not a stub though. Round tipping (as usually found nowadays on all standard nibs except the old style on the 2k) is more forgiving to rotating, so maybe the better choice for your writing.

When this thread appeared a few years ago I recall I just started using the M200 and I got the L2K for comparison. After a few months with both pens, the Lamy went packing (gave it away to a friend) cause I didn't like the less forgiving narrow sweet spot of the L2K fine nib. Found myself contantly having to correct my gtip on the pen. The M200 on the other hand wrote just as nicely but was much more forgiving. A better writing experience without the quirkiness of the L2K. My Pelikans multiplied to the M400 and M600.

Fast forward 3 or 4 years and I came across a great deal on a new L2K with a medium nib online. Waiting delivery of it to give this pen another chance with a wider nib. After using italics for a while I am better at maintaining a consistent nib orientation, so hopefully I will have a better experience with this pen this time around. Will report back when my pen arrives and I've had a chance to write with it again.

Edited by max dog