Herbin Ambre De Birmanie

Ondina

Thanks for the review, really beautiful. Do you know if this ink is also known just as 'Amber' - there's a Herbin ink of that name on The Writing Desk site, and wondered if it is exactly the same?

Sue

Very likely, it is Ambre de Birmanie, Herbin has only a color that contains the word "Ambre" in it. . To be sure, drop a quick mail to the owner of the site, he provides outstanding customer service and is a gentleman to deal with. Glad you liked it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ondina

• Iranna

• lovemy51

• bbs

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review, really beautiful. Do you know if this ink is also known just as 'Amber' - there's a Herbin ink of that name on The Writing Desk site, and wondered if it is exactly the same?

Sue

Very likely, it is Ambre de Birmanie, Herbin has only a color that contains the word "Ambre" in it. . To be sure, drop a quick mail to the owner of the site, he provides outstanding customer service and is a gentleman to deal with. Glad you liked it.

Thanks - I'll try to catch Martin at the London Writing Equipment Show ... and hope he has some with him!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I can't believe I missed this thread initially! Ambre de Birmanie is one of my favorite inks, period. It has not been on the market awfully long, but I loved it instantly. I love this ink in my B and BB nibs, and many of my wet M's. This ink is very well behaved, leaving clear, true lines on paper. The wider nibs allow this ink to shine, almost literally. Its warm honey-brown tones are soothing and very comfortable to read. Its modest shading is an additional treat. I will be using this ink for many years to come. Thanks for an excellent review.

Edited: I have assumed the name Ambre de Birmanie (Burmese Amber) was inspired by the lovely saffron robes worn by Buddist monks (in Burma?).

Edited by FrankB

I ADORE this ink - it's the most usable yellow ink that still looks yellow that I've been able to find. Herbin is quite wonderful - I clearly need more inks by them (though, alas, that would necessitate getting more inkwells, since their bottles are bizarrely difficult to use...)

:D

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

A beautiful ink and hand-writing.

This ink looks very "similar" to in between the Noodler's Habanero and Apache Sunset samples I'd recently reviewed.

I've not taken a sniff of those inks, I generally don't bother smelling any of my inks but now you have me curious.

I'm liking the J. Herbin inks more and more as I keep seeing these reviews, it's the names given to the colors that confuses me not speaking the language.

Nicely done, I too was wondering what pen/nib you'd used to write this, looked over the review several times thinking I may have missed it and still don't see it mentioned.

Thanks.

Inka, the pen is a semiflex Kaweco, one of those black oldies with nibs that are a pure joy to write with and that make any hand better. Much of the attractiveness of the ink lies in the bi-tonal contrast between two beautiful shades. The savvy and knowledge of the oldest ink maker shows in the varied properties, from the silky jet black of Perle Noire to the classic elegance of Poussière de Lune and Violette Pensèe. Each of the 30 regular colors plus the scented and the specialty inks are a true joy for the senses; color, variety, performance, originality. Class. (If they would just make their bottles bigger, they would even become usable. Nobody's perfect). I enjoy lots inks from many brands, and these in particular, provide a total writing experience; they make my pens sing and bring pleasure to a humble task. The natural scent that goes along is a reminder of their green label and for me, a big plus when deciding a purchase. While sitting in front of a blank piece of paper, trying to get thoughts and feelings closer, these products show they have been in the market for centuries, for kings and peasants alike, for a good reason. They are born for the job. Most inky smells are just fine and even wanted by me, but these are just great. I've totally given up those that my lungs considered hazardous waste and kept me holding my breath; trying to convey thoughts into words and hypoxia are not my cup of tea. Life is short, so I favor products that do what they are supposed to without any esoteric ritual nor gas mask involved. My letters tend to reflect my mood in that given moment; a perfect combination of paper, ink and nib are basic to concentrate on what it should be said. And nothing else. If I had to bet on which brand will be around for as long as Fpens are, Herbin will be the one. They sure know their trade.

Thank you, Ondina, for this thoughtful and sensual evocation of the pleasure of inks and writing.

Have just sniffed Violette Pensee. Indeed! It has the fragrance of violets!

I can't believe I missed this thread initially! Ambre de Birmanie is one of my favorite inks, period. It has not been on the market awfully long, but I loved it instantly. I love this ink in my B and BB nibs, and many of my wet M's. This ink is very well behaved, leaving clear, true lines on paper. The wider nibs allow this ink to shine, almost literally. Its warm honey-brown tones are soothing and very comfortable to read. Its modest shading is an additional treat. I will be using this ink for many years to come. Thanks for an excellent review.

Edited: I have assumed the name Ambre de Birmanie (Burmese Amber) was inspired by the lovely saffron robes worn by Buddist monks (in Burma?).

It is, Frank. For some of us, it brings also more familiar memories of places where the same color can be seen. I'm glad that an experience fp user finds this ink to be quite useful, as well. The ink came as a nice plus in a trade. I'm most grateful to Shadowriter for introducing me to this wonderful surprise ink.

What is that beautiful writing style called? I'd like to learn it or something similar. It's much prettier than the standard calligraphy style I learned ages ago.

I'm blushing!. Is just a personal writing cursive, but the merit, far from personal, lies mostly in the amazing savvy of pen makers from last century, and on a generous and kind German friend that showed me the light. She knows who she is ;). I'm forever grateful.

Tortoise, in the Marketplace there are for sale many semiflex pens, get one and learn its secrets. If you like one another, you will find your hand flows with it. My parents and relatives had a similar ( and much more elegant) style so I suppose is an unconscious replica. But I was only able to perform it when the right nib came to me.

Thank you, Ondina, for this thoughtful and sensual evocation of the pleasure of inks and writing.

Have just sniffed Violette Pensee. Indeed! It has the fragrance of violets!

A big part of why many of us keep the flame is because you just described :). A daily, simple yet very evocative personal pleasure. Thanks to you, Miranda!.

Edited by Ondina

Excellent review. What a beautyfull colour made for ... It is on my wish list. I'm glad that their bottles are useless. I deceided therefore to buy a J. Herbin bottle just when I have an empty bottle of Montblanc to put the ink in. If Herbin had better bottles, I should have to much ink and to less money. ;)

Orval

Thank you for the kind words, Orval. Well, you know, the main issue with the bottles is their size: if they were made in bigger sizes....they would be Pelikan bottles!. And I like them, but as soon as you use a bit of ink, you'll need an Snorkle or a syringe. I don't really mind but when I'm in a hurry. Someone in marketing should tell them to go back to the full courtine size, the product really deserves it.

• 1 month later...

Someone was wondering whether Writing Desk's Amber and the ink of this thread were the same colour. Yes they are. I ordered it and got a bottle that says "Ambre de Birmanie". :)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Ondina:

This color would normally not interest me, but because of your fabulous handwriting, I took a chance, bought a bottle, and... Wow! Now I have J. Herbin Cafe des Iles and Orange Indien, and I suspect, more will follow...

Edited by jgrasty

jgrasty wrote:

"This color would normally not interest me, but because of your fabulous handwriting, I took a chance, bought a bottle, and... Wow! Now I have J. Herbin Cafe des Iles and Orange Indien, and I suspect, more will follow... "

Yes, Herbin inks do grow on one, don't they? I have been a diehard fan of Herbin inks for decades, and shall continue so. I am really glad to hear you have discovered them.

Have fun!

Ondina,

Great review, gorgeous ink, nice pictures ... and above all: Thank you for your humble and kind demeanor to the FPN members. Any idea how it would compare to the Noodler's Golden Brown and the Diamine Golden Brown?

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/4051556482_36f28f0902_m.jpg

E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net

Thank you for such a lovely display in writing of another wonderful Herbin color! I think this is the right color for my recently acquired Bexley Columbus Pen Show 2009 Yellowstone pen.

Pray tell, which is a more accurate portrayal of the actual color, the scan or the photos?

Thanks,

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

I love this colour, but I'm a bit confused as the hue is quite inconsistent. If I take a break in writing or drawing, say, a few minutes, when I continue, the colour has changed so that it's not golden anymore, but greenish. Does someone experience similar problems? Yes I've tried shaking it, but with no help.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I love this colour, but I'm a bit confused as the hue is quite inconsistent. If I take a break in writing or drawing, say, a few minutes, when I continue, the colour has changed so that it's not golden anymore, but greenish. Does someone experience similar problems? Yes I've tried shaking it, but with no help.

My guess is that you actually have a bit of blue ink from a previous fill hiding in the fins of your feed. Try filling the pen with water, covering the nib with a paper towel, and firmly shaking out the water. Then, fill the pen with water and place it nib-down in a cup resting on a pad of paper towel. I've often found that even though I thought I'd gotten all of the ink out, some manages to hide in nooks and crannies.

Then again, that's just a guess.

Ondina,

You got another person (me) to buy this ink with your wonderful review. I'm hoping that the photographs are the more accurate representation. Also, I hope that somehow my acquisition of this ink improves my penmanship to somewhere between where it is now and yours -- one can dream, eh?

- Evan