REVIEW: Montblanc Dostoevsky

QM2

http://queenmargot.com/MB_Dostoevsky3.jpg

MONTBLANC DOSTOEVSKY

1997 Writers Edition

First, I would like to refer to Richard Binder's original review of the Montblanc Dostoevsky, which I have gone back to

many a time in deciding whether to purchase my pen. The purpose of my review is to offer additional photos and some

supplementary comments. I hope you will find these useful and interesting.

Packaging

I received my Dostoevsky new and sealed. I am not sure whether this is a standard edition or something special, but the box

was labeled as a "set" rather than just a pen, because it came in a large, fancy presentation box with a copy of a letter written

by the author. The regular WE box containing the pen itself, was inside of this larger box. The presentation is tastefully

executed, and extracting the pen feels as if you are opening a book inside of a book.

http://queenmargot.com/MB_Dostoevsky4.jpg

Looks and Design

Mood

The one thing I must express about this pen, is the strong sense of mood it evokes, which I feel to be extremely appropriate

given the writing style of the author for whom the pen is named. All the design elements come together just right, to bring

about a sense of a delicate, evasive, moody and dark sort of glamour -- which I feel to be very 19th Century Russian. This

quality is what I think makes the pen truly special.

Form

The Dostoevsky is a classic straight-sided domed-top, the design based on the early Montblanc fountain pens up to the late

1930s. In case you have not been exposed to my ramblings on this subject yet, I absolutely adore pens of this shape, and

already own the MB Schiller WE, as well as the 100 Year Pen, which share this look.

Chasing

The resin barrel of the pen is engraved with an attractive design resembling a sort of stylised "xoxo" pattern. The chasing is

a pleasure to look at and to run your fingers across. It is also surprisingly delicate and intricately executed. In addition to

being beautiful, the chasing evokes a glamourised style of Russian folk-craft that was popular in provincial home decor in

the 19th and early 20th century Russian upper class.

Clip and Trim

The stylised engraving continues along the gold clip and trim of the pen, including the double cap rings and the ring that

separates the barrel from the piston knob.

http://queenmargot.com/MB_Dostoevsky1.jpg

Jewel

Prior to deciding that I wanted the Dostoevsky, I was choosing between it and the Wilde. (For those interested, this thread

offers some helpful comments and interesting facts about both pens.) My main concern about the Dostoevsky, was that the

blue jewel on the clip would look out of place and disrupt the harmony of the pen. Several people replied, that although this

may seem to be the case from looking at stock photos, in reality the jewel is unobtrusive, and the pen looks harmonious. I

wanted very much for this to be the case, but worried about it until the moment I opened the packaging.

Happily, I report that the blue jewel at the end of the clip (a synthetic sapphire) indeed fits the overall design extremely well.

The round stone is cut in such a way, that it stays quite dark unless light falls directly upon it, at which point it lights up a

deep royal blue. This design element suggests at once the moodiness and the debaucherous glitz of a disenchanted nobility

that fills the pages of Dostoevsky's work. I like it. I find my photos to be representative of the way the jewel comes across

in real life.

http://queenmargot.com/MB_Dostoevsky2.jpg

Section

Hurray! The MB designers have smiled upon me and endowed the Dostoevsky with the lovely vintage-style, curved section

that I so love because of my low grip.

Ink Window

The ink window is an absolutely gorgeous, subtle shade of slate blue -- one of my favourite colours. It interacts well with the

darker and more saturated shade of the blue jewel on the clip, contributing to the overall mood of the design.

http://queenmargot.com/MB_Dostoevsky6.jpg

Nib

As on all WEs, the Doestoevsky is fitted with a 146 sized nib, that has been specially decorated -- in this case with an

elaborate pattern evocative of Russian folk art that echoes the style of the chasing and the trim. The nib on my pen is a

Medium. It writes exceptionally smoothly and required no adjustments out of the (sealed) box. I would say it is on the

narrow side of Medium and has a stubbish quality to it.

Filling Mechanism

Lovely, smooth piston filler that functions perfectly despite the 12 years it has spent in the box after its manufacture.

http://queenmargot.com/MB_Dostoevsky5.jpg

Cost and Value

I believe the MSRP for a new Dostoevsky is in the $800s or $900s? My pen was bought at a discount during a sale from an

official retailer. It was a great sale, but still, of course, the pen was not cheap. I have seen used ones on the FPN

marketplacego for $450-600s, depending on condition.

Conclusions

Even after having studied many photographs and having read several owners' descriptions of the Dostoevsky, I did not

anticipate the extent of its dramatic presence. The design elements fit together perfectly to evoke the world created by the

writer in his novels, plays and stories. The references to various aspects of Russian culture and art are subtle and well-placed.

And amidst my aesthetic praise, I have almost neglected to mention that the pen is extremely comfortable to write with,

having immediately become a rival to my favourite MB, the Schiller WE. I refer you again to Richard Binder's review, which

outlines the wonders of this pen's construction and hits upon all the practical points that have not been discussed here.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QM2

• goodguy

• dguyton

• shrinknib

Ugh, I wish I could afford this pen. Fyodor Dostoevsky is my favorite writer (I dressed up as Raskolnikov from Crime and Punishment for Halloween this year, odd, as I am a non-Russian girl), but there's no way I could ever afford it. I think my parents would throw me out of the house too if I spent that much on a pen.

save a dollar a day, that's kind of what I'm doing

Save a dollar a day, fill all your free time with consulting projects, and stop buying shoes & clothing : ) It works!

Ditto! Except that the pen fund never seems to grow :rolleyes:

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

What a nice review! After reading Richard's review, I knew had to have a Dostoevsky, a writer I teach every year. Its subtle beauty and perfect balance make it one of my favorite pens. I had John Mottishaw make it into a cursive italic and I keep it filled with Diamine Prussian Blue, an understated sort of color. Your review of the Schiller makes me long for that pen as well, but I also love the Oscar Wilde. Any advice? Thanks again for your great reviews.

I was thinking William Faulkner WE but now you have confused me!

But confused in a good way.

These two pens are similar in form, and I like both very much. The Faulkner is, of course, considerably more modern looking, so partly it is a matter of which aesthetic you prefer. Another thing to consider is the difference in the design of the sections: the Dostoevsky has a curved section, while the Faulkner's is straight (some consider the curved to be more comfortable, while others think the opposite). Also, the Faulkner has a metal ring at the very bottom of the section, which makes it inadvisable to fill it with MB Blue-Black or other iron gall or very acidic inks, as such inks can corrode this ring over time. The Dostoevsky has no metal parts that can come into contact with the ink, so this is not an issue.

What a nice review! After reading Richard's review, I knew had to have a Dostoevsky, a writer I teach every year. Its subtle beauty and perfect balance make it one of my favorite pens. I had John Mottishaw make it into a cursive italic and I keep it filled with Diamine Prussian Blue, an understated sort of color. Your review of the Schiller makes me long for that pen as well, but I also love the Oscar Wilde. Any advice? Thanks again for your great reviews.

The Schiller, the Dostoevsky, the Wilde, the Christie, and to a lesser extent, the Faulkner, are all based on the same basic straight-sided domed-top model. For that reason, these are my favourite Writers Edition pens, and some day I hope to have them all. For now, I have Schiller and Dostoevsky, and I've spent a lot of time looking at Faulkner in shops. However, I have never handled the Wilde (or Christie) in person, so cannot comment based on personal experience. One thing I can say, is that the Wilde is considerably more expensive than the Schiller (50% or so), and to me that difference in price is not worth it. But even at the same price point, aesthetically I personally prefer the Schiller -- but of course, this is very subjective!

I was thinking William Faulkner WE but now you have confused me!

But confused in a good way.

These two pens are similar in form, and I like both very much. The Faulkner is, of course, considerably more modern looking, so partly it is a matter of which aesthetic you prefer. Another thing to consider is the difference in the design of the sections: the Dostoevsky has a curved section, while the Faulkner's is straight (some consider the curved to be more comfortable, while others think the opposite). Also, the Faulkner has a metal ring at the very bottom of the section, which makes it inadvisable to fill it with MB Blue-Black or other iron gall or very acidic inks, as such inks can corrode this ring over time. The Dostoevsky has no metal parts that can come into contact with the ink, so this is not an issue.

Thanks for the advice QM2- Faulkner vs the rest.

If these are the choices I'm making life cannot be too bad after all!

Take care

________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.

Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)

I keep coming back to this review, this is a stunning pen and the one I'd love to own first from the WE collection. Do you actually use it posted? You mention it's comfortable to write with and the photo shows it posted. I think MB are very well balanced when posted. Sorry if I missed that info in the review, sometimes I read too fast for my own good. Great photos too! Congrats and enjoy.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

I keep coming back to this review, this is a stunning pen and the one I'd love to own first from the WE collection. Do you actually use it posted? You mention it's comfortable to write with and the photo shows it posted. I think MB are very well balanced when posted. Sorry if I missed that info in the review, sometimes I read too fast for my own good. Great photos too! Congrats and enjoy.

Hi -- yes, I use it posted, as I do most of my pens. The inside of the cap has no metal parts, so it does not scratch the bottom of the barrel. The weight is very comfortable both posted and un-posted, but of course this is very subjective. The Dostoevsky is a glorious pen; images do not do it justice. And I hear that a popular store in NYC may still have 1 or 2 for sale!

The Schiller, the Dostoevsky, the Wilde, the Christie, and to a lesser extent, the Faulkner, are all based on the same basic straight-sided domed-top model. For that reason, these are my favourite Writers Edition pens, and some day I hope to have them all. For now, I have Schiller and Dostoevsky, and I've spent a lot of time looking at Faulkner in shops. However, I have never handled the Wilde (or Christie) in person, so cannot comment based on personal experience. One thing I can say, is that the Wilde is considerably more expensive than the Schiller (50% or so), and to me that difference in price is not worth it. But even at the same price point, aesthetically I personally prefer the Schiller -- but of course, this is very subjective!

I, too, love the Christie. I have a vermeil one and it is one of my favorite pens, if a bit heavier posted than my others. The Faulkner is too modern looking for me, but I usually prefer gold to silver and a warmer look to a pen. Your Schiller has that warmth. Thanks again.

I will not read QM2's review, I will not read QM2's review, I will not read QM2's review... whoops. I will not read Richard Binder's review, I will not read Richard Binder's review, I will not read Richard Binder's review... whoops.

It's really too late for me now, isn't it?

Edited by reprieve

• 3 years later...

Thanks for the great review! Best....looking....pen...EVER. And it was only yesterday that I was 'certain' I'd never buy into the MB thing! :headsmack:

This Grail List of mine is either gonna need PRUNING or I'm gonna be taking a trip to kidney-donor-ville...to fund fountain pen purchases for God's sake! :roflmho:

MB Dostoevsky LE: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :blink: :hmm1: :yikes:

(edited for typo)

Edited by Marlow

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Thanks for the great review! Best....looking....pen...EVER. And it was only yesterday that I was 'certain' I'd never buy into the MB thing! :headsmack:

This Grail List of mine is either gonna need PRUNING or I'm gonna be taking a trip to kidney-donor-ville...to fund fountain pen purchases for God's sake! :roflmho:

(edited for typo)

Holy 3 year old thread, Batman!

Visit my blog Pentorium!

(edited for typo)

Holy 3 year old thread, Batman!

So what?

I guess the pen just improved, in the meantime... thumbup.gif

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

Haha :-) - I only just found out about this pen and I tend to use the search function before starting a thread that's already been done better by someone else! Anyway, The Dostoevsky has been beaten to the #1 spot on my grail list already - by the original Onoto Magna! :headsmack:

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

looks like a nice made le :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 8 years later...

What a wonderful review, thank you. I have had a Dostoevsky in my modest collection since 1999, and it has been a daily writer for me ever since. I love this pen, it really does evoke the great writer it commemorates.